Stick Trick/Hook Remover

Discussion in 'LOCAL INDIANA TALK' started by Shadow Hunter, Feb 11, 2008.

1. Shadow Hunter

Shadow Hunter New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Here`s A trick I learned from A late 60`s issue of Sports Afield Magazine. Did that bluegill or any other fish for that matter swallow your hook? No problem, simply take A small stick about 12 inches long and small enough diameter to fit inside fish`s mouth down to where the hook is.Now hold your fishin line and stick together while the fish dangles below and start spinnin fish around. The line will twist around the stick and remove the hook without any harm to the fish. Wella, flathead bait good and still alive! Hope this help you pole fishin ,bait catchin ,catfishin, brothers and sisters out. Should work every time, it has for me! :0a19:

2. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    Now ya tell me. :roll_eyes: Been messing with them pliers all these years and sticking myself.

3. Ulikedew

Ulikedew New Member

State:
    Georgetown IN
    Gonna have to bring me a stick in the boat now.

4. bigcatkev

bigcatkev New Member

State:
    indiana
    I use this method all the time and it does work great. I grab chop stix from the chinese restaurants and they work great. Good post!

5. curdog

curdog New Member

State:
    Sheridan, Arkansas
    That stick trick does work.

6. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    I guess it must be true you can teach an old dog new tricks. Never to old to learn i guess. Thanks gonna have to give that a try for sure. Thanks for the info. Reps to ya Buddy

7. Gordhawk

Gordhawk New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I suppose a piece of small diameter dowel rod would work just as well as a stick,wouldn't it?

8. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Sounds as though that would work, indeed. I have found it just as good and expediate to simply cut the hook off the line. Less wear and tear on the fish, and believe it or not, hooks (excpet circle hooks) are relatively cheap.

9. rspd507

rspd507 New Member

State:
    Rising Sun,IN
    Sounds like a good idea to me. Ill have to give that a try.

10. BigBoat99

BigBoat99 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Yep. It works. I used a stick years ago bank fishing as a kid. Got a boat and forgot the trick. Thanks for reminding me.

11. Reel_Blues

Reel_Blues New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Thanks Kevin gunna have to take a stick next time im getting bait.

12. TN-CATFISHER

TN-CATFISHER New Member

State:
    Cannon County, Middle TN
    Thanks for the post Kevin. Sounds like a neat trick, but if the fish was very big and/or I wanted to release it, I'd probably cut the line at the hook first.

13. Crazyfive2

Crazyfive2 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    wow...thats a great idea. i would have never guessed that! Thanks for sharing!

14. catfishcrazy256

catfishcrazy256 New Member

State:
    Indiana
  15. Mike81

Mike81 Well-Known Member

State:
    Alabama
    I'll have to try that, hadn't heard that before, thanks. I usually just cut the line.:big_smile: