stick this in your head and keep it there

Discussion in 'Guns - Blackpowder' started by massa_jorge, Nov 20, 2009.

1. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    hey yall, i know the majority of us that visit this section are comfortable and proficient with firearms, but figured this might help as a refresher...
    i have a good buddy who is no different than that. he has been around guns his whole life like us and is very safe and all to hunt with. he and his brother were cleaning their springfield xd's- a .40, a 9mm, and a .45. the brother owned the 9, one of the original xd subcompacts. well on this 9 you have to hold back the slide and pull the trigger back to disassemble it. my bud thought he had grabbed one of his pistols and didnt know the 9 was on the table- all 3 guns look similar. well he shot himself in the hand. took 27 stitches to close it up, and the doc said he missed bone and tendons by millimeters or less. all the hollowpoint did was tissue damage. he is so lucky it didn't hit a family member or his torso or groin. i kind of want to kick him in the you know whats, but i am supremely glad he is okay at the same time. check those actions yall, even if you 'know' it's not loaded. i'm going hunting!

Attached Files:

2. xringer3

xringer3 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Thanks! You've just helped make the point that I drill into all of my students, NEVER WORK THE SLIDE FROM THE FRONT! You see alot of people grabbing the slide on the front, which wraps the side of your hand over the muzzle. I cringe and jump everytime I see so called trained weapon handlers grab the front of the slide to work it. ALWAYS WORK THE SLIDE FROM THE BACK OF THE SLIDE, and you'll never shoot your hand off.

3. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Thanks guys for sharing some need to know advise. Appreciated.

4. Wabash River Bear

Wabash River Bear New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Roger that!

5. JEFFRODAMIS

JEFFRODAMIS New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    cut bait!

6. Salthart

Salthart New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Yep, there is NO empty firearm....Thanks for the post.

7. Kip Brandel

Kip Brandel New Member

State:
    Glasgow, Kentuc
    It has ALWAYS AMAZED me when I see how many people are shot or killed with unloaded weapons.:eek:oooh:

8. Midwest Drifter

Midwest Drifter New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Treat them as if they were loaded!

9. Tool958

Tool958 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Thanks for the wake-up call. I was taught when I was young, to always treat a weapon like it's loaded. I will check a weapon, even if someone hands me one that they have already checked. It really bothers me when someone takes a weapon out and just hands it to me without checking it themselves.

10. BubbaCat

BubbaCat New Member

State:
    Arizona
    :crazy::big_smile:never happen with a wheel gun:wink:eek:ther people with autos scare me and i ain't afraid of nothing !:big_smile: