Stick Steering

Discussion in 'Boat Tips' started by roh1961, Nov 17, 2005.

1. roh1961

roh1961 New Member

State:
    Texas
    I got a 2005 Triton 1653SS with stick steering. I removed the standoffs that the controls were mounted in and moved them into the side panels to have more room to swivel around. I love the stick steering with the exception of having to underpower the boat simply because it has that type of steering. Texas has a 40 HP max. rating on all new boats equipped with stick steering. Florida will allow 60 HP and I heard that Missouri doesn't have any limitations. The only company that supplies all of the boating manufacturers is easyglide (easyglide.com). This is according to all the major manufacturers that I could contact (Triton, Alumacraft, Tracker, War Eagle, Lowe, SeaArk, and Xtremeindustries). They have a newer model that is supposed to handle up to a 70 HP outboard or 90 Jet. I have the other model (40 HP-65 Jet). I purchased the newer model because it is supposed to have better handeling and a shorter throw, but I returned it because it didn't. The 40 HP works okay but if my boat was rigged with a console it would be rated up to a 70 hp [2(length x width) - 90]. Now, after that long introduction, does anyone know if it's legal to overpower the boat hp rating (with stick steering) after it's paid off and can it then be insured?

2. Mr.T

Mr.T New Member

State:
    MO
    Everything I can find says that the maximum horsepower rating on the USCG capacity plate (the yellow sticker) is just a recommendation and not a legal limitation.

Better check with your state government to be sure though, as well as the insurance company.

3. Desperado

Desperado Active Member

State:
    Pataskala, Ohio
    Name:
    Clarence
    I would say check with the local law agency. Because that way you have some kind of back up with the Barney Fiffes out there.

4. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Just bear in mind that you can turn much faster with stick steering than you can with wheel type steering. The faster you're going when you make an extremely sudden turn, the more likely you are to flip the boat or cause someone to fall overboard. In addition to the fact that you don't want to damage your boat or passengers, using an outboard with higher horsepower than the regs allow could possibly open you up to a charge of negligence. Check with a lawyer before you step on your......self.

5. badkarma

badkarma New Member

State:
    Oxford,Miss
    Roh1961 my little 14ft boat has stick stearing and I love it.I have a bucketseat out of a car mounted in it and I can do every thingI need to do from that seat. I don't have your HP problems cause my boat is rated for 30hp max and I'm running a 25 so it's near as fast as it's gona get.

6. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    I once nearly doubled the recommended HP rating on a boat. Put a 9.8 merc on a boat that only had a 6 hp rating.

Scared the bejeebers outta me. It was the only boat I had at the time to test run this engine. Yup, you can get a boat over 20 mph with a 9.8.

I don't recommend, that you exceed it's rating. Chances are It's under rated for SAFETY.

7. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    It's my understanding that the horsepower and load limits given on the metal tag attached to the boat are recommendations, rather than actual laws. If they were laws, it seems like the tags would be attached much more firmly than they are. I've seen lots of boats with missing tags, and owned several myself. Now, if a state has a law regarding horsepower or load limits, there's no leeway, regardless of what the tag may or may not say.

8. Mutt

Mutt Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    Ca
    Name:
    Mutt
    i dont have any experience with stick sterring but i sure can see why you wouldnt want to over power it. wife and i looked at a boat with it not even sure id want to try stick sterring myself.

9. roh1961

roh1961 New Member

State:
    Texas
    This isn't my first boat with stick steering and I'm very familar with operating them. Along with other stick steering fans out there I really like the fact that I can do anything that I need to do along with not having to get up and around a console or ahead from a tiller to tie off or other things. I talked to the dealer where I bought the boat and the rating is reduced simply because of the stick steering. They have a model the same except for console steering that isn't crippled by having to be underpowered. IMHO I think they are in some ways safer than console or tiller steer. You can see a lot better from the front and you don't have to run to the bow to tie off with the chance of loosing your footing if you misjudge the coast to the tie-off object and bump into it especially in faster current or windy days. If you're not in the front and by yourself and you miss the tie-off you have to go back to the back and try again until you time it right. It also makes my day a lot easier because of my venous problems not having to run around the boat. I am very aware of any liability that it could put me in and I would like to know what the actual laws (and not reccomendations) are concerning stick steering. Thanks, Randy

10. roh1961

roh1961 New Member

State:
    Texas
    I have checked with four different officials (game wardens and TPWD officials) and got four completely different answers.

11. Aquacat

Aquacat New Member

State:
    Sherman, Texas
    I have never had any problems with stick steering boats. I've owned a few and I really like them. Heck, I've pulled a skier with it before.

12. Mutt

Mutt Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    Ca
    Name:
    Mutt
    i myself can see where they would be nice in certian situations thats for sure. but where i was concerned is how are they at high speed? are they easy to control? one lake i fish i feel they would be fantastic since it is a 10 mph speed limit over the whole lake. other lakes i fish i just dont think i would be comfortable with one. since i am used to going along at 35mph +. but like i said before i have no experience with one. they do look cool though.

13. STC T&F

STC T&F New Member

State:
    Union, MO
    As with any boat, or anything in life you cannot fix stupid!!!

I love them and my next boat will have stick steering. I have been on an 1860 flatbottom jon with a 200 merc jet going 50+mph. The stick doesn't affect the stability or the quality of the ride. You have to use common sense. When I am wide open in my bassboat I do not turn the wheel as fast and sharp as I can. Using stick steer you have to understand the boats short comings and respect them, or it will kill you! I see alot of sticks with hp over 100 here in MO. The boat I rode in has a group of 6 boats all set up the same.

MJO

14. Damar12

Damar12 New Member

I have a Bass Tracker with stick steering, Panfish 16. It has a 40 hp Mercury on it. It is a little sluggish while steering with the motor trimmed all the way down, but if you start trimming it up, the control improves tremendously. This is the third stick steering boat I have had. The other two did not have tilt and trim. I had to preset those for the best steering overall. The first one I had was rated for a 50 hp (I had a 50 Mercury on it) and was a fiberglass Eldocraft. It did fine. The second one was a Bass Tracker Panfish 16 with a 25 hp and it was fine.

15. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    I've never heard of any law anywhere that prohibits anyone from overpowering thier boat.

Insurance companies do rely on the boat tag recommendations and Dealerships won't overpower a boat due to liability

16. roh1961

roh1961 New Member

State:
    Texas
    If you really want to get confused check this out.

Horsepower restrictions and manufacturer recommendations for boat builders/manufacturers are addressed in the Code of Federal Regulations (CFR) Title 33, Part 183.

You can access the CFR's on the internet. http://www.gpoaccess.gov/cfr/retrieve.html

17. roh1961

roh1961 New Member

State:
    Texas