Stick Steering boats.

Discussion in 'Boat Tips' started by Katwrangler, Jun 4, 2006.

1. Katwrangler

Katwrangler New Member

State:
    Bonnieville,Kentucky
    Greetings Folks....

Been pondering anothr boat, sold my 16' Aluminum Bass Tub about 8 years ago, nowloking into somethng else to fish out of. Since Catfishing with the wife and grandson, i need something comfortable for three.Been looking at someof the stick steering models with a40 hp motor and trolling moter. Center live well can serve as a seat for a 10 year old.
    Has any one on this list ever had any expirence,good or bad with stick steering boats in recent years
    ThanKs
    Regards
    KatWrangler in Ky

2. Mutt

Mutt Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    Ca
    Name:
    Mutt
    I myself do not like stick steering. I would rather have tiller over the stick but I like my console. Its a matter of what a person likes some swear by the stick steering. I for me find it unatural and it feels weird. I also dont care for the location you sit etc. best thing I can say is go to a dealer that may have one sit in the boat and operate the stick see how it feels for you.

3. 223Smitty

223Smitty New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I had one a few years ago, 14' I think, with a 10HP motor. I kind of liked it myself, just takes alittle getting used to, because it does seem alittle wierd at first. I can't remember the make of it, but it was roomy inside for a small boat, and was driven from the front seat.

Smitty

4. Arkie55

Arkie55 New Member

State:
    Mississippi
    Rich,
    I have one now. A 16' Alumacraft with 35hp Evinrude. I really like the stick steering especially running the river. I'm closer to the front of the boat where I can read the current better. It also really makes fishing alone a lot more enjoyable. I can run the boat, drop anchor, and fish without having to run from one end of the boat to the other. I thinking about a new boat next spring and I'll be looking at stick steering as well as console steering.

5. I fished out of a buddies panfish special for a few years and I really like a stick steer. On those times I took it out alone I could do everyting without having to leave the front of the boat. No getting up and down to set the anchor or raise and lower the trolling motor.
    The only thing I didn't like was more stuff up front for a cast net to hang on but then again any boat with a troller up front has stuff the hang a net on. For general fishing (read bream, panfish and just taking the wife and kids out) it would be hard to beat. I really like the fact that with a front and rear seat plus the livewell serving as a third seat everyone is in place and not wandering around and rocking the boat. I also like being able to run jugs and limblines from the front of the boat as well, even though you could do this from any boat with a front trolling motor with a stick steer you can use the big motor to do this. Not as comfortable (read roomy) to run trotlines from down in the boat as a big jon though.
    If I could have the boat/s of my dreams one would be a big boat (22'-24') dedicated center console catboat and a 15'-17' stick steer for everything else.

6. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    I've owned two boats with stick steering. I like it; it's easier to operate with only one hand that a wheel, but you can't use either hand, like you can with a wheel. The biggest thing about stick steering is to practice with it enough that moving the right direction becomes second nature. The first time I used it on the water, I moved it the wrong way and ran right up onto a riprapped bank; knocked a hole in the bottom of my boat.

7. Katwrangler

Katwrangler New Member

State:
    Bonnieville,Kentucky
    Thanks folks...interesting replies. My other boat was a 16 ' alumacraft bass boat, with a 48 HP evenrude.. I really liked the performance but two things bothered me about it. First, the foot operated trolling motor cable was always in the way, would only lay one position, two, there was just barely enough room for two adults to fish semi comfortably. Mind you, this was not an overly wide boat, but a great small river runner.

I'e got a bit of time to shop and research.. really need to get in one on the water and get the feel of one..been eyeballing the Tracker 17 ' and the Grizzly closely..
    Regards
    KW

8. mspratt

mspratt New Member

State:
    missouri
    Check this out.......:big_smile:

Attached Files:

9. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    I also had a 16' stick steering boat, and really, really, liked it. Turn on a dime and give you nine cents change. Run through a narrow lane of trees regular boats couldn't navigate. Handled well in rough water. And, it was just a pleasure to run and fish from that boat. Finally put a pine tree thru the hull on Lake Vernon, LA. Had to shoot the boat to put it out of its misery. I currently have a 17' boat I'm trying to restore, and it will be stick steered.

10. fishhook

fishhook New Member

State:
    Willow Woo
    I have a 14ft flat bottom stick steering with a 40hp on it. A little small for the Ohio river in rough weather but a good little all around lake boat. I have two other boats for bigger water.

11. Katwrangler

Katwrangler New Member

State:
    Bonnieville,Kentucky
    Thanx again guys..heading up to Cincinnati on Wed to visit my Dad..may get a chance to check out local dealer offerings up there....
    KW

12. roh1961

roh1961 New Member

State:
    Texas
    You might want to check out the Triton stick steer boats too. I love mine.