Stick steer boats?

Discussion in 'Boating' started by CatSlayer715, Aug 12, 2009.

1. CatSlayer715

CatSlayer715 New Member

State:
    gville NC
    Has anyone had any experience with them or have one? what do you think? easy to manuver, reliable, convenient?? Im in the market for my first boat and its going to be used strictly for fishing. Thoughts please....

2. oh no

oh no New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I love stick steer boats,,,,,mostly because the front seat is set up to drive from,,,, that's great running limb lines and chasing jugs..

3. Poppa

Poppa New Member

State:
    Pinson, Al
    I had a 15' fisher with stick steering. It had a 25 hp Johnson and was
    probably the best fishing boat I ever had. Like Oh No said you do everything
    out of that one seat, run the boat and the trolling motor from the same
    seat. My family got bigger and I had to upgrade to a bigger boat. I have
    always said that fisher was the best fishing boat I ever owned nothing
    fancy but a pleasure to fish out of.

4. Jollymon

Jollymon Well-Known Member

State:
    Wilm .N.C
    I know a lot of the commercial guys an crabbers use the stick steering around here in the saltwater area

5. CatSlayer715

CatSlayer715 New Member

State:
    gville NC
    thanks guys.. The boat that im talking about is in a local add here in NC. No picture and i can't find anything on the net about it. It's listed as a 16' fiberglass Duocraft fishing boat. Stick steer, tri hull, 65 hp mercury, trolling motor, new seats, 2 gas tanks. For $1100. Its 1 1/2 hours away from where i live and i talked to the guy today and he said he would cut me a deal on it if i were to come all the way out there. He said it was in fair shape and runs good and was sheltered. I told him to take a pic of it and email it to me but he never got around to it i guess. What do you guys think?? I dont have a big budget to work with... $1000-1500 is what im looking to spend.. Just for lakes and a few rivers around here. Nothing special. Just not a piece of shit that will leave me stranded or looks like a bag of ass. Any more thoughts??

6. CatSlayer715

CatSlayer715 New Member

State:
    gville NC
    thanks guys.. The boat that im talking about is in a local add here in NC. No picture and i can't find anything on the net about it. It's listed as a 16' fiberglass Duocraft fishing boat. Stick steer, tri hull, 65 hp mercury, trolling motor, new seats, 2 gas tanks. For $1100. Its 1 1/2 hours away from where i live and i talked to the guy today and he said he would cut me a deal on it if i were to come all the way out there. He said it was in fair shape and runs good and was sheltered. I told him to take a pic of it and email it to me but he never got around to it i guess. What do you guys think?? I dont have a big budget to work with... $1000-1500 is what im looking to spend.. Just for lakes and a few rivers around here. Nothing special. Just not a piece of shit that will leave me stranded or looks like a bag of ass. Any more thoughts??

7. mdavis

mdavis New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Had a bass tracker with Stick Steer (Still Make this model) and LOVED it; especially when fishing by myself. Great for the following reasons:

• Can run the whole boat from one location (I could do everything from one seat)
    • Great when cruising (have a clear view of any obstructions in water)
    • Way more room in boat with stick steer (need no console for steering wheel)
    Only sold because I went to a fishing pontoon so I could take more people fishing......... which has been my second favorite boat for fishing.

Have Fun!

8. doublesharp

doublesharp New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I love them to panfish out of.

9. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    I have a panfish 16 by Bass Tracker and it has all of the benefits mentioned in the other post. I would add one thing. Its easy to drive the boat on the trailer. No problems with alignment. I would also mention on the boat you made reference to. With the bigger horse power motor you will find some torque pressure on stick steering. Just offering info.

10. CatSlayer715

CatSlayer715 New Member

State:
    gville NC
    thanks guys. I ended up buying a side console boat instead. The stick steer boat was a piece so i didnt get it. I bet it would have ben fun to drive around though! thanks for all the advice fellas!

11. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    The stick steer boat might be the coolest thing since sliced bread, easy to fish out of, easy to load, etc etc, but them is the weirdest abominations I ever saw! :eek:oooh: Most folks who own them probably drive Volkswagons, and might have even owned a Rambler or two. Just joshing all you sticky guys! They are weird though! :wink::smile2:

Bill in SC

12. mmarcum6

mmarcum6 New Member

State:
    Tenneessee
    David congratulations on getting a new boat. I never will forget the feeling I had when I got mine. Hope you have meny uneventfull hours of fishing out of it. Another thing I love to do is just take the boat out with my wife and cruise around and enjoy the scenery and company.