Stewart vs Goodyear, again

Discussion in 'Wolfman's Nascar Pit Stop' started by Wabash River Bear, Feb 14, 2009.

1. Wabash River Bear

Wabash River Bear New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Ryan Newman blew a right rear tire in practice today, with teammate/owner Tony Stewart close behind, taking out both Cup cars with significant damage. Newman and Stewart will be going to back up cars and starting at the tail of Sunday's field.

Tony in typical Tony fashion, lost his cool with the press when questioned after leaving the infield care center on how the backup cars would affect their chances of winning the 500. Tont went into a rant about Goodyear's tires, similar to his dismay with Goodyear during the 2008 season. Details on Fox Sports . com.

2. Wabash River Bear

State:
    Indiana
    Newman, was already in a backup car after the Duals :eek:oooh:, guess he is going to break out the backup's backup. :smile2:
    Daytona is starting to get expensive for Stewart/Hause Racing. Tony better whip up a few more Old Spice commercials. :crazy:

3. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.

:smile2::smile2::smile2:

4. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I think after the Nationwide race he calmed down some!:smile2: rollo

5. Wabash River Bear

State:
    Indiana
    LOL, I thought Bush was gonna run him through the turn, up the track and over the fence. :crazy: He did about all he could short of outright wrecking Tony. I was surprised Ol Smoke took it so well. :eek:oooh:

6. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    I can see ole Smoke starting up his own tire company. :smile2:

7. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    He didnt say anything that wasnt true.Goodyears tires have been garbage for a few years now,in the truck and nationwide races the rubber was separating from the tires.i still say if they let other tire companys make tires for nascar that would force goodyear to make better tires or get replaced.jmo

8. o'boro cat hunter

o'boro cat hunter New Member

State:
    kentucky
    That was a dang good race. and who finished 2nd:confused2::confused2:.Look out for that #99,what you say 10 wins or more on the season????? I think so.:smile2::smile2::smile2:

9. Mike81

Mike81 Well-Known Member

State:
    Alabama
    I don't know for sure, but just thought I'd throw this out there.... could any other tire manufacturer in the world produce a tire that would hold up 100% of the time with these cars weight and all the different tracks they go to????....I don't think so.... I like Tony alot but he get's mad and over reacts, I think Goodyear has a much harder job than he does.

10. brinley45cal

State:
    kentucky
    yeah but you got to think as many times they go to the same tracks every year season after season you would think they would come close to getting it right.

11. DCcatfisher

DCcatfisher New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I agree 101% and now with NASCAR banning the practice during off-season it's no telling what they will come up with. LOL.

12. Wabash River Bear

State:
    Indiana
    Then have Nascar redesign the car, change the rules on spring weights, shock packages, spoilers and wings, downforce, car weight, and the list goes on. Kinda hard to keep up with all that criteria year after year and build the perfect tire.

13. o'boro cat hunter

o'boro cat hunter New Member

State:
    kentucky
    Let Copper tires give it a shot maybe even Walmart.Goodyear is the best tire for NASCAR and Tony cries alot nothing new.

14. Mike81

Mike81 Well-Known Member

State:
    Alabama
    Yeh maybe, but constant resurfacings, weather changes, etc.... I don't think the surface stays constant on any track, it's always changing. Did you ever drive down a newly paved road and say, damn, this is nice, then 6 monthes later say they need to fix this, it's crap..... I know I have....

I think Goodyear has an impossible job trying to keep everyone happy....

15. Wabash River Bear

State:
    Indiana
    Good point Mike. I was going the other route with all the car changes that go on, but you speak the truth. Asphalt changes.

16. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Paving roads is my profession, weather changes asphalt every day after it is layed. Take a road or parking lot, and resurface it, in a matter of no time, the cracks will come up through the new and reappear. Surface goes from a smooth finish to often a more course. However, alot has to do with the aggregate used and types of liquid. rollo

17. Mike81

Mike81 Well-Known Member

State:
    Alabama
    I like Tony Stewart, but I don't think you can blame the tire in this situation. Yes, there have been times when many teams have tire trouble all at once, then they need to look at the tires they brought...not that common...but when the tire incidents are minimal as they have been this week and with as many wrecks that have happened..you never know what kind of small, sharp debris is hiding on the track..... It's just a racing incident, don't blame goodyear, I don't think any other tire maufacturer could do what they do for nascar.....

18. puddle jumper

puddle jumper Well-Known Member

State:
    NW.Georgia
    Im with mike,
    I think car set up has as much to do with tire wear as the tire does, not Goodyears fault,,, these crew chiefs set up the car so that they will run so fast it tears the tires apart, to much camber and caster in the front end, rolling the tire around the turnes on the edge for better grip. This and changing track conditions.
    Puddle

19. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    I agree totally with the above statement. Goodyear brings tires to the tracks with recommended air pressure given to each team. We dont know what the crew chiefs are doing as far as tampering with air pressures to make the cars faster or better handling.

20. brinley45cal

State:
    kentucky
    well i will say Nascar isnt innocent either if they would stop changing cars and rules and things like that every year that would certainly help but i still say they could do a better job,but thats just me:confused2: