Steroids

Discussion in 'Baseball Talk' started by Little Luey, Mar 18, 2008.

1. Little Luey

Little Luey New Member

State:
    Arizona
    With all the steroid and banned substances going around in all sports but specially in baseball,
    does anyone still think today's athlete should go in to Hall of fames for their sport?
    do the records mean anything when you have juiced up muscle heads breaking them?

I personally stopped watching baseball years a go during the strike, but I was comming back the last few years, watching more games than before. And now all this steroid talk is turning me off again. I tell my kids to stay away from that stuff but if the pros are doing it and getting away with it, and being glorify for breaking records, why wouldn't any young athlete want to try them?

2. wishiwasfishin

wishiwasfishin New Member

State:
    kentucky
    i don't think ALL players use them things. i guess there is no way of really knowing who has done what. i think in the future you will get more PURE players in the hall of fame. you know alot of people went to a ball game to see a home run or see that amazing catch so really i think no matter how you look at it roids put peoples butts in the seats. let me add i do not support steroids in any way.

3. Little Luey

Little Luey New Member

State:
    Arizona
    That is what I am talking about, if I take them and have an advantage over joe smoke out there, I get the public going when I hit 70HR in a season and can get a bigger paycheck. While Joe is making average plays and average money being clean. Then once it is all out they have a conference about how sorry they are and how they do not want any kids using any drugs; be a role model by setting a good exemple and stay clean, kids now day don't want to hear the old "do as I say not as I do" speach.
    It bothers me to see egos so big on some players and then to find out their abilities have been enhanced by the steroids is even worse.

I don't know, I guess I am just a concern father blowing up steam. Sorry about the rant.

4. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    Steroids, pot, coke, heroin, uppers, downers, sideways..etc.etc. If it aint medically prescribed to you for a legitimate reason then I say pay the piper. I have no respect for any athelete that does them. Marion Jones finally admitted she did them. How could she stand there and take those medals with a clear conscious. :angry:

5. alands94

alands94 Active Member

State:
    Lebanon, I
    Some people argue that this is another phase in baseball, comparing the steroid scandals to smaller ballparks, lowering the pitching mound, a livelier baseball, expansion teams, weight training, etc., etc., etc. The difference in these previous "advancements" and sterioid use is that there is not a level playing field. Both teams play in the same ballparks, use the same equipment, have access to the same training regimens, etc. Comparing expansion pitching to steroids is ridiculous. I believe any active player found guilty of using steroids should be banned for life - it is just as bad as the 1919 "Black Sox" players who were banned for gambling on/throwing the world series. The records of retired players who used steroids should be erased and they should be banned from the Hall of Fame. MLB MUST take a hard stand now to ensure the future integrity of the game. Otherwise, many youngsters will accept the risk of using steroids.

6. zeboman

zeboman New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    Just goes to show you that athletes will go to any length to achieve glory.What these so called athletes are doing is sending a message to younger athletes(high school,college, etc.) that this type of activity is ok.I think the days of winning with hard work are over,there are too many athletes out there taking the illegal route to win.

7. derail

derail New Member

State:
    kansas
    For MLB to try and label this as another phase, is to try and get the ticket buyer to forget and continue to put out the money. I agree about the prescription angle. If its not prescribed by a legitimate physician, it should be illegal and banned. A second positive result on a random test should be a lifetime ban. If all pro sports had a real punishment and accountability system this harsh, only then would you see real changes.

8. catfisherman_eky3

catfisherman_eky3 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I see them trying to aliminate roids i dont think they will ever totaly get rid of it

9. Wolfdog

Wolfdog New Member

State:
    Iowa
    It is funny, not realy, what some people will do for money or fame. It is the same with people that take game animals out of season to have a big rack deer on the wall just to say look what I have done? They make Millions , and who pays, anyone that goes to the games.

10. alands94

alands94 Active Member

State:
    Lebanon, I
    Unfortunately, there are legitimate physicians out there who will still prescribe steroids to athletes for non medical purposes. Imagine a young physician out there making less than $100,000 a year and he is a huge baseball fan. He is asked by one of his heroes to write a prescription for steroids, GH, etc. in exchange for contacts, money, etc. Would he do it? Many would.