Sterling,Rock river

Discussion in 'ILLINOIS RIVERS TALK' started by vegasryder, Sep 14, 2006.

1. vegasryder

vegasryder New Member

State:
    illinois
    Thinking of hitting the Sterling/Rock river area tomorrow.After seeing a video of the dam and people talking about how big the Flatties get there,i had to get out my seat and get my gear ready...My question is,does anybody know any places from shore the can be fished?Hoping to go tomorrow night or early Sat. morning.Any info would be greatly appreciated...

2. bonapetit2

bonapetit2 New Member

State:
    illinois
    Kenny,
    How did you do at Sterling??
    I'm heading to the Rock tommorrow, but haven't decided if I'll put in at Oregon, Dixon or Sterling yet.
    I was near Lowell park in Dixon last monday, only boated three channels 2-3 # each. It was real windy and I had to leave earlier than I wanted to because the park closed at 7:00. There wasn't much structure in that stretch of river either...but I had heard it was a nice flathead area.

3. vegasryder

vegasryder New Member

State:
    illinois
    I was skunked the first time i went there (16th).I managed to get only 1 when i went out there on the 23rd.Been a bad year for me with the cats...I think with me not having a boat to get to the good spots is probably one of the reasons.Hopefully that will change next year...

4. dgde4x4man

dgde4x4man New Member

State:
    La Moille, Illinois
    I fish that area of the Rock all the time. Becareful if you put your boat in Oregon that area has eatin' many a props. If you put in at Opald in Sterling that place does not close til 10 or 11PM I think and if you put in above the dam by the Hydro plant you can stay out as late as you want. But be careful as you need to know the river pretty well as it gets very shallow in alot of areas between the dam and just above the marina. After the marina heading towrds Dixon she opens up and you can pretty much run straight up the river without much problems. There are a few buoys out there between the dam and the marina but they are not well marked so becareful if you run that area. Give me a hollar sometime and I will be more than happy to show you the rvier as best I can. There is one hole on the river that runs from about 15 to 50 feet in a dead drop!

5. BIGCATMIKE

BIGCATMIKE New Member

State:
    illinois
    that sounds like a nice kitty hole

6. vegasryder

vegasryder New Member

State:
    illinois
    BTW...i almost forgot.I got an email from a guide that does alot of Flathead fishing on the Rock(Matt from Procats).He said the area between the upper and the lower dam of Sterling/Rockfalls hold some big ones...And one more thing,i had something hit my live gill in that area last weekend.I let the clicker go off for about 10 seconds and set the hook but couldnt get him.Oh well...