Sterile Lake?

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by Stumpknocker2, Oct 15, 2006.

1. Stumpknocker2

Stumpknocker2 New Member

State:
    NW FL
    I was talking to an old timer about the lake down town, telling him about the fish I have recently caught. He said that the lake is sterile. What does that mean? He said that you cant catch but one or two a trip. I figure since there are fish in there, and you put the right bait in front of them they will bite.

2. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky
    i would imagine that means the fish in it dont breed , you might check the local fish and wild life officials for more info on that lake and neer by lakes , good luck glen

3. Wil

Wil New Member

State:
    Minden Nebraska
    i agree, in any other place in the animal kingdon sterile means that they cant breed.

4. Myname

Myname New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Cannot find any reference to "sterile" lakes, but I did find two references to infertile lakes - from the Ky fish and game site and the PA fish and game site. Lake Beshear in west KY is an example - it is infertile (does not supply enough food for the fish population to grow properly, stocked fish from a period of 7 or 8 years were basically the same size, when harvested, as when they were placed in the lake), and the lake cannot be fertilized because it supplies drinking water for the surrounding community. I've fished Lake Beshear; lots of fish from 2 - 5 pounds, no monsters, but plenty of action and lots of fun.

Hope this helps.

Have a nice day.

5. KansasKatter

KansasKatter New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    Not sure about other parts of the country, but when I was in college we used to fish the strip pits around Pittsburg, Ks. Some of these pits contain high levels of Sulfur, and are called "sterile" because they can not support life at all. No fish, algae, plants, nothing. Just big deep pools of crystal clear water.

For that reason I always thought a sterile lake was totally lifeless, or could not support life.:confused2: