steering

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by willcat, Apr 10, 2008.

1. willcat

willcat New Member

State:
    texas
    I want to move my console to the center of my pontoon. How do I get the cable out of my steering box assy behind the steering wheel so that I can move it to the center of the deck when I redrill the hole where it's going to come thru?????? Any help is much appreciated, thanks

2. flounderman

flounderman New Member

State:
    Blaine, Washington
    Is it a Teleflex, rotary or rack????

3. willcat

willcat New Member

State:
    texas
    I'm new to this so I don't know, I can take a pic this weekend & post it. Thanks for the reply.

4. willcat

willcat New Member

State:
    texas
    i haven't been able to post a pic of the steering but it looks like the cable goes in one side & there is a tube looking thing on top of the box. there is also a pin that looks like u need to pull out for the cable to come out????On a side note i picked up a center console today brand new for 100$, now if i can move it to the center of the boat i will be able to walk around both the sides instead of just one side!!! If nothing else i can pull the cable out from the back i guess!!!

5. willcat

willcat New Member

State:
    texas
    i just looked at a teleflex steering helm on ebay & yes mine looks just like that, i guess it is a teleflex anybody got any pointers so i don't screw it up taking it apart??? any help is very much appreciated

6. handyronokc

handyronokc New Member

State:
    Oklahoma ( Central )
    Will , I moved mine to the center, it works just fine. ( that is the short story)

I did take it apart to check for wear, cause my fixer / upper pontoon boat was made in 1979.
    ( it is not very complicated, IMO, )
    ( I cleaned everything completely then put it back together with new marine grease)

I used the old mounting holes as a pattern when I built my new (operator console) which included repositioning and rerouting the engine controls too.

I gained about 1 foot forward by moving to the center and rerouting the steering cable and etc. ( I took it all out and sat on a bucket and held the steering wheel and "teleflex" box and got a feel of where I could reposition the steering to) ( how high, and how far forward with it still going back together and working) ( then I fashioned a " dashboard that would accomodate the steering and engine controls,,, then I sat on my bucket and tried it again)

I rerouted all the electrical between the dash board and the engine compartment through a 2" pvc pipe,, Oh yea,,,,, Mine is a stern drive, so that may make a little difference if yours is an outboard, but you can still put the PVC pipe from your operator console to the engine area to run all wiring through,,, and seal around the pipe to keep water out.

( i will post 1 pic here ,,, there are other pics on another post of mine)

BTW I have had it on the water a couple of times now and every thing is working perfect

P.S. I am not much of a perfectionist when it comes to spit and polish,,, but I got this boat for my use and satisfaction, so far I have accomplished my goals. ( specifically I am after catfish not a cathouse, I use my boat for what I want and adapt it when I need to. That is why I don't have any furniture on it.)

Attached Files:

7. handyronokc

handyronokc New Member

State:
    Oklahoma ( Central )
    Will,

this is a before pic of the boat

Sorry,, for little details in the pic,, but the "original console" was on the right side, next to the railing ( playpen ),,, the bottom was completely rotted off. There was 1 bolt holding the consol to the railing, otherwise it would just fall over.,,, the steering wheel was straight up and down, the engine controls was on the left side of the console. Hehe,,,,, the whole console would rock forward and backward, when I shifted the engine control, the first time I took it out on the water

Attached Files:

8. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    Pull the pin and rotate the steering wheel in the direction that lets the cable come out. DON"T LOOSE THAT PIN.