Steering Issue

Discussion in 'Boat Tips' started by ShowmeWhiskers, Jan 29, 2010.

1. ShowmeWhiskers

ShowmeWhiskers New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Hi everyone,
    Ive got a problem with the steering on my SeaArk. See whenever i am cruising, the boat pulls violently to the right. I mean if i were on plane and let go of the steering wheel it would probably cut so hard I would fly out or it would flip. Its got me worried and I think could be dangerous. Also, it is very difficult to keep it strait or turn to the left. I literally have to put both hands and significant force on the steering wheel to even hold it in a straight line. I have talked to several people about it and the all say the same turning the keel or whatever its called below the prop. tried that and it has made no difference!
    BTW its a 115 hp 2005 motor

2. Andy52

Andy52 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Winfield, Mo.
    To my knowledge there are a limited amount of things that will cause this. One you have already checked, also check all your steering controll links to be sure none are binding, you can do that out of the water. Try steering the boat on the trailer to see if it binds or catches in any way. If you have trim tabs on the boat make sure there are all tight. Check to see that the skeg is not bent. Check the prop. and check that the engine is securely mounted on the transom and not shifting under torque.

3. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    You can change out your steering helm to an upgraded anti kick back type. And that trim/torque tab needs to be turned in the direction of pull, if it isn't already.

4. Andy52

State:
    Winfield, Mo.
    The torque tab people are talking about is above the prop on the back of the cavitation plate if that is what your are saying. see pic

5. ShowmeWhiskers

State:
    Missouri
    okay,
    so the trim tab is what I was talking about, the adjustable one above the prop. I just talked to some guys here at work and they suggested you can by an oversized one that may help. As for as checking to see if anything is binding or turning under torque what exactly do you mean. Are turning under torque you mean the torque from acceleration is causing the motor to turn and what would be binding?

6. Andy52

State:
    Winfield, Mo.
    The binding part would be the all steering linkage, cables, control arm, starter cables etc. anything that might bind when your steering the boat, it's probably not the problem but check them just to be sure. The torque part would be to check all the bolts that attach your engine to the transom to make sure they are tight. There's one question I should have ask at first, has this always happened or is a recent thing? My boat has always had a little torque to the starboard, but not bad enough that it bothers me.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2010
  7. ShowmeWhiskers

State:
    Missouri
    well,
    Didnt get the boat brand new but its done it ever since we bought it. the boat was a 2005 and we got in 2008 with like 30 hours or sumthin so I would guess its something its been doing.

8. Grimpuppy

Grimpuppy New Member

State:
    Concordia, KS
    What kind of steering you have? Is it a rack, cable or hydraulic?. I would guess not hydraulic with the feedback you are getting.

When I bought my boat (used) it was the same way. If you let go of the wheel on plane you were going to be a goner. It was absolutely brutal to turn left on plane. Going slow it would turn better but very hard when at speed. I adjusted the heck out of the trim tab and nothing seemed to help much. Last year my rack broke (lucky I wasn't on plane) and I lost all steering. So I replaced the rack, helm and cable with a new one. OMG is my boat a joy to drive now. I can turn with one finger when up on plane. I have almost no feedback at all from the motor now. All I have to do now is rest my hand on the wheel to keep the boat pointed in the right direction. It doesn't turn violently now when you let go. I can zig zag all around the lake and turn on a dime now. This is my first boat and after talking to people, they said it was normal for a boat to steer like with manual steering. Little did I know these guys were used to horsing around 250hp bass boats, not a little 115hp. I am kicking myself I didn't replace it 4 years ago. Just so happens my motor is a 2005 115hp also and I learned a 115hp should not need any anti feedback steering to make it driveable. If everything checks out with the trim tab look at replacing the helm, cables and/or rack. I know exactly what you are going through, I went though the same thing and was scared to death for 4 years my boat was going to kill me someday. Not anymore.

9. roadkill636

roadkill636 New Member

State:
    warrenton misso
    Your problem is caused by "prop tourque", this being that a right hand rotating prop has more bite at the bottom of the prop area than at the top area during speed thuss causing the prop acting as a paddelwheel and wanting to pull itself to the right,
    It is easaly cured by instaling a tourque tab on your skeg.
    a common problem all arround, especally with 3 blade props and it gets worse as the pitch of the prop is increased and engine height is higher
    4 blade props have conciderably less "prop tourque"

just about ant marine store can get one for under $20
    try this link below, click on TORQUE TAMER on the left side of the page
    http://www.bobsmachine.com/

Torque Tamer
    Tame that torque! Bob's TORQUE TAMER will straighten out the high-speed steering pull that today's high-pitched propellors produce when running at high transom settings.​

The paddle-wheel flow produced by the submerged part of such a propeller when much of the top half is out of the water swings your motor sideways (to starboard for right-hand drives) harder the faster you go.
    If stock steering tabs have been reset in an attempt to compensate at high speeds - which they can't do - they will tend to swing the motor oppositely at lower speeds.

Bob's TORQUE TAMER redirects high-speed flow so you don't have to fight it to steer where you want to go, and the stock tabs are readily trimmed at your lowest transom setting to keep you straight as intended at low speeds. Install it easily at only a modest cost. You'll enjoy balanced steering without any speed loss, and you'll save your arms and temper in the bargan

Last edited: Jan 29, 2010