Steering a ship with this small wheel

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by olefin, Nov 3, 2009.

1. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    On a recent cruise I had the pleasure of touring the bridge. With all the automatic navigation equipment and computers I thought it was neat that there was still a sailor standing watch on each side. I watched them both for awhile, they never turned their heads from looking straight ahead. It was a clear day, without a cloud in sight and the sea was calm. There were also two ships Officers on duty, they were standing off at the far side shooting the breeze.

I was amazed at such a small wheel for hand steering the large ship. But suppose it would do the same as a large one. The wheel on my pontoon is larger. :smile2:

The Ship

The Hand Wheel

Crew on duty

2. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Thanks Dayton. Both interesting and amazing. I would have expected a much larger steering wheel also. Sure a large ship. What was its name?

3. flatheadslayer

flatheadslayer New Member

State:
    Thomaston, Geor
    i guess it probably has power steering.maybe rack& pinion too.haha:smile2::smile2:

4. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Wait until you see how many locations they can steer it with a joystick from:smile2:

5. ryang

ryang Well-Known Member

State:
    Blacklick, Ohio
    Name:
    Gary
    I know that the wheelhouse for a warship are about the same for size wise. I seen a show where they were using a joystick for the bow thrusters I bet it has those.

6. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    I know on the Gallant Lady, One of Southeast Toyota's yachts, you can pilot the vessel from the bridge wheel less . All of the controls are on the arms of the captain's chair. And what a chair it is. Executive leather chair.
    It can be controlled from the starboard and port wing bridges via joystick.
    And it can be controlled from the crow's nest.
    Seems like there is one other place but I can't remember.
    I'd have to pull the book on that boat out.

7. ammo warrior

ammo warrior Member

State:
    Columbia, MO
    Beam me up Scotty...:eek:oooh:

8. ryang

ryang Well-Known Member

State:
    Blacklick, Ohio
    Name:
    Gary
    If its setup so that if something goes wrong with all of that it may be in after steering where they disengage all of the nice functions and have to do it with a some type of a crank.

9. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    My thoughts exactly.
    Southeast publishes a book on each individual Gallant Lady built.
    The current one cost 62 million, holds 19,500 gallons of fuel with a range of around 5000 nautical miles. 20 tons of heating and air.
    Cocktail lounge has one huge moon roof and can accomadate up to 60 people.

Contained below decks in the forward hold is a 21 foot center console fishing boat and an antigue wood Chriscraft ski boat.
    In the rear hold you have the water toys. Jet skis, zodiacs, and such.
    You just drive them in and out of the hold.

Reproduction Gone with the Wind staircase in the main salon with a baby grand piano.

Never leaves port unless there is 4 transatlantic captains onboard and the boat is equipped with a weapons safe for ship defense.

This boat is owned by Jim Moran who owns Toyota corporation. Never leaves port unless a Toyota dealership owner is onboard or some other means of writing it off is onboard.

That boat aint nothing though.
    He has not one but 2 60 foot convertible Hatteras sportfish boats tied up in his backyard. The 60 footer in my opinion is the best hull Hatteras has ever built. 3 mil a pop not rigged for fishing.

10. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    Eurodam, Holland America Line.

Power
    6 engines..... 85,824 HP

Propulsion
    2 Azipods, 47,204 HP

Gross Tonnage 86,700 tons
    Length 936 ft

Max speed 23.9 knots

Guest 2104, crew 925.

But heck, it gets 75 gallons/mile. :smile2:

11. cheapNdisgusting

cheapNdisgusting Well-Known Member Supporting Member Supporting Member

State:
    Yonder in Mo.
    Name:
    Russ
    Thanks guys for making me and my 16'er feel totally insignificant.

12. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Dang, that's smaller then a lifeboat.:wink:

13. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    My brother in law was Moran's right hand man for years. I used to keep a closet full of nice Jim Moran golf shirts until I got my beer gut. Brother in law has no college education. He started out changing tires at Tire King in Durham NC before going to work selling cars at a Chevy dealership. He almost bought that dealership but backed out.
    Eventually he went on to employment with Southeast Toyota which supplies Toyotas to dealerships on the eastern seaboard. He became a VP of sales.
    Everytime a Yota is sold on the eastern seaboard he gets a commission.
    Good thing. His alimony is 12 grand a month. He's been paying that for 20 years.

His second marriage was aboard a Gallant Lady. Looked like a bunch of mobsters onboard to me with all the dark suits and sunglasses.
    Ran her out to sea for the ceremony and then back to port.
    A big part of his job was being on the ass of dealerships to sell sell sell.
    The second biggest part of his job was wining and dining dealership owners.
    He would take groups of them to places all over the world for week long vacations.
    They may ride 4 wheelers through the desert all morning to pull up to tents in the middle of nowhere for a meal served from silver platters on fine china.
    Or sit on a beach at Aruba being fanned with a palm frond sipping a drink.
    Trips to Japan, Europe, Australia. They did about 3 major trips a year. His second wife worked for the company too and detailed to support her husband so she was right there too.

Probally the worst part of his job was the travel. Monday morning he flies out and hits dealerships here there and yonder all week and flies back in for the weekend. That would suck to me.
    I know every time he would drop in to visit us the first thing he wanted was the paper. He would go straight to the auto section and jump on the phone calling dealerships asking why there wasn't a full page ad in Tuesday's paper.
    After the bitch sessions he would kick back and relax just a little bit.

Moran's grandson built a mansion beside the brother in laws. I don't think that guy has ever had a formal job, I know he used to clean Mike's pool for something to do.
    Must be nice. Hey grand pap, how about a quarter mil for some run money? I'm running low again. The whole Ferrari thing and all that.

Moran was a character too. At 80 years old he would jump off the end of his dock, swim down under the deep water dock to pluck lobsters out of cinder blocks he had stacked under the dock. The man swam every day.

Here is a Gallant Lady
    http://www.powerandmotoryacht.com/megayachts/jim-moran-gallant-lady/

Last edited: Nov 4, 2009