STEELHEAD

Discussion in 'PENNSYLVANIA RIVERS TALK' started by waynesburgjay, Oct 26, 2009.

1. waynesburgjay

waynesburgjay New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    I was up to elk creek today and got 3 steelhead, the biggest was 11 lbs.
    Water was clear, low and full of leaves. I caught all my fish where a riffle drops into a deep hole. Need lots of rain for better fishing.
    102609.jpg

DSCF1396 (Small).jpg

2. Sweet report bud. At least this will give ya some satisfaction while the Phils smack the Yankees around.:wink::big_smile:

3. Pennsylvaniacatchaser

Pennsylvaniacatchaser Well-Known Member

State:
    Sarver, Pa
    Congrats on the Steelhead Jay! :cool2: I'm hoping to get up there myself at some point. :big_smile:

4. Jeremy Sheffey

Jeremy Sheffey New Member

State:
    Columbus, Ohio
    thanks for the report, my brother and i were planning a trip to erie soon, are they running good yet...steel head are a blast to catch...

5. bw69r

bw69r Well-Known Member

State:
    West Newton, PA
    congrats Jay. what were they hitting?

6. fmb

fmb New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    nice catch

7. waynesburgjay

waynesburgjay New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    They were hitting on cream glo bugs,black wooly buggers. Still need a bunch of rain or it's only gonna get harder to get 'em. I don't know what the other creeks looked like, but I fished elk in Girard @ the borough park.
    They were getting them on minnows too.

8. Eich

Eich New Member

State:
    Mount Joy,
    Nice steelies there Jay. Congratulations and thank you for the report. :cool2:

Ray

9. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    Awesome stuff Jay!

I wanna get up there sometime after Thanksgiving.

That drive from Philly to Erie is killer.:sad2:

10. mattr

mattr New Member

State:
    PA
    ahhh yes, I've been there I believe, that's where the creek splits and I think there is a small waterfall...

Can't wait to get up there this year, I want to get a 15lbr...

11. ste6168

ste6168 New Member

State:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    I think I am going to make my way up there and try to get some steel. Everyone that has done it (that I have talked to) says its a blast. Around Thanksgiving I will be heading up (since I will be in the Burgh anyway). Anyone else planning a trip up around that time? I will be the guy with the wrong gear that has completely no idea whats going on :smile2::crazy:. See you on the stream :wink:.

12. PaCatfishHunter

PaCatfishHunter New Member

State:
    Greensburg, PA
    A buddy of mine from work has a place up there and we will be heading up that way around mid. November. This will be my second trip up there. I had no idea what was going on the first time. This time I know what I am doing but still don't have all the right gear that I would like.

13. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P

Dude, you first need waders, duh! YOU ARE TROUTFISHING! I only did this once but it worked for me. Get yourself one of those 9 ft light action noodle rods, have a dependable reel spooled with 4lb flourocarbon line, and some small hooks, eggs, splitshot, and a bobber.

I just casted upstream and yanked when I saw my bobber move, twitch, stop, or go under. Sort of like drifting corn to stocked trout.

Very fun and they fight like carp!:cool2:

14. ste6168

ste6168 New Member

State:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Waders. check
    dependable reel. check
    4lb flouro. check
    small hooks, splitshots, and bobbers. check

ehh, got everything except the eggs and one of those long rods. Guess I gotta make a trip back to BPS to get ANOTHER rod! the eggs ill pick up there, i hear there is a bait shop up there with about 7000 different types :wink:

15. waynesburgjay

waynesburgjay New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    I just tied up about 150 egg sacks gonna head up early Sat. and stay overnight see if I can't hook up with a few nice ones.
    I hope the creeks won't be too low but they probably will.

16. PaJay-p

PaJay-p Guest

Looks like the weather will be on your side Jay. I just hope there's enough water in the creeks. Good Luck!

17. waynesburgjay

waynesburgjay New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    Don't waste your time up in Erie the creeks are real low and the few fish that are there are spooky. I only had one hooked but I lost him.
    It's the worst fishing I've ever done up there

18. PaJay-p

PaJay-p Guest

Sorry to hear that Jay,that seems to be the story of this whole season for all fishing.

19. Eich

Eich New Member

State:
    Mount Joy,
    Good luck Jay! :big_smile:

Ray

20. You didn't happen to be wearing a Pens jersey, did ya?:big_smile::0a10: