Steel vs Lead vs hevi shot?

Discussion in 'Waterfowl Hunting' started by DuckHunterChuck, Feb 25, 2006.

1. DuckHunterChuck

DuckHunterChuck New Member

State:
    Kansas
    do you guys think that it makes a big difference? i shot all season with steel and did fine, but i didnt know if i should switch to hevi shot for more kinetic energy and killing power. wat do you think???

2. N2Ducks

N2Ducks New Member

State:
    Texas
    Hevy shot is the best out thier. But it is too expensive. Besides. I call so good I don't need to make the long shots. What you really need is me in your blind. LOL

3. ASASIN

ASASIN New Member

State:
    Lawson Missouri
    The best load on the market today is Federal Heavyweight!!!!!!!!!! This stuff is totally AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!! It was recently approved for waterfowling and it is 35% HEAVIER than lead!!!!!!!!!!! With a full choke this stuff is AWESOME for turkeys as well. We're talking patterns you won't get with lead. Give some a try and see what you think. They are making it in 3" and 3 1/2" and they have #7 shot, which hits a hair harder than lead #5's at 40 yards!!!!!!!!!!!! God bless.

4. jblahuta

jblahuta New Member

State:
    texas
    i do just fine with steel but got to shoot some Bizmuth this season and worked way better. only problem is that the military does not pay me good enough to hunt with stuff all season long. will for sure use while hunting turkey though.

5. ASASIN

ASASIN New Member

State:
    Lawson Missouri
    That is one of the biggest concerns of shooting the stuff, it is more expensive. God bless.

6. GrainDrain

GrainDrain New Member

State:
    Texas
    I used steel shot this year for goose, but lead for dove. I noticed that the steel flies faster but this could be that it had more powder behind it.

My grandad has a 10 guage but it says lead only. Law says you cant shot waterfowl with lead, so what is an alternative? I guess i would have to use something soft as or softer than lead right? Is Bismuth an answer?

7. ASASIN

ASASIN New Member

State:
    Lawson Missouri
    If you want to skip spending more money than you need to, just break down and get the Federal Heavyweights. It is FAR AND ABOVE better than anything that has ever been shot for waterfowl. This stuff is TOTALLY AWESOME!!!!!!!!!! Don't just take my word for it, buy some and give it a whirl. I would start out with 3" #6's and make an opinion. Personally, I'd be shooting the 3" #7's, because I've patterned them for turkeys this year and they are in REAL trouble. LOL!!!!!!!!! I used the 3 1/2" 6's last year for turkeys and at 40 yards they don't even flop when they take a load in the top of the head. Start out patterning with a full choke. If it's too tight for you, switch to a modified. I would use Kick's chokes if I had a choice of chokes. The High Flyer's should be just the ticket. I shot the modified with this stuff and it was a pattern that would be great for waterfowl. JMHO. God bless.

8. TeamCatHazzard

TeamCatHazzard New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Asasin Ive tried some of the heavyweight and didnt seem to impressed with it. I was shooting 31/2 2's for geese out of my patternmaster. I personally think that hevi-shot is the best and hardest hitting notox on the market. I have shot quite a bit of bismuth as well because I can get it cheaper but it is just so darn slow! I think that the hevishot and the hevisteel hits harder than anything but i guess I might have to pattern the heavyweight and see because I just wasnt impressed with it. Now the ultrashok steel federals is all I shoot now for ducks after I switched from winchester supremes. Although I did have some trouble with the shells when it was really cold last year, but dont know if it was a bad batch or what.

9. ASASIN

ASASIN New Member

State:
    Lawson Missouri
    They won't shoot well out of the Patternmaster chokes. You need a straight full choke for it to perform at the top of it's game. I talked with a fellow last night who shoots it out of an Undertaker choke tube and at 40 yards gets 77 pellets in the head and neck of a turkey target. That was with the 3" 7's. Did you ever shoot anything with those loads? The stuff honestly hits ALOT harder than anything legal ever made for ducks/geese. 35% HEAVIER than lead. The 7's penetrate to where you can't see them in a 2X4 at 40 yards!!!!!!!!! Find the right choke, because they are worth it in my opinion. God bless.

10. blackhorse83

blackhorse83 New Member

State:
    missouri
    There is no comparison, hevi shot is a lot better, the problem is we still have a couple cases of steel to use up. Man it is high priced though.

11. greenwing7

greenwing7 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I have rolled some canada geese with 3.5" #2's the heavy shot hits like a freight train although its not as fast as what I am used to shooting, high velocity BB's ( I shoot these at every waterfowl I hunt) if you out about an extra foot lead( at the bird) you will smok'em and it really patterns well but at two fifty a pop my gun sounds like a cashregister (cha-ching) everytime I pull the trigger

12. TeamCatHazzard

TeamCatHazzard New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Just dont miss! LOL yea I know what ya mean man but I still shoot it because like you said it drops them like a ton of bricks and it is just flat out awesome stuff. For honkers that is basically all I shoot.

13. SSanta090

SSanta090 New Member

State:
    Virginia
    leads definately easier for the price....heavier and cheaper than steel and doesnt cost as much as the heavier types. Not too great for the environment or birds though. I think it might be illegal in some areas