Steel shot

Discussion in 'Waterfowl Hunting' started by Sasquatch_24, Aug 2, 2008.

1. Sasquatch_24

Sasquatch_24 New Member

State:
    Colorado
    this september im going to be hunting dove, pheasant, and teal and i need a universal load for all three. since im going to be shooting mainly teal, i need a steel load, but i need it to be a load that wont mangle a dove but still has enough knock-down power for pheasants. any suggestions?

2. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Any particular reason for using steel on all three,like shooting in a federal game reserve? I only use steel for big canada honkers here,I use lead 7 1/2 or 8 for dove and when the remote chance to hunt phesants happens,my pet load is a 1 5/8 oz of #5 in a 3" 12 ga

3. Sasquatch_24

Sasquatch_24 New Member

State:
    Colorado
    i live in colorado and out here, youre required to shoot all migratory birds with steel. if you are in the process of harvesting any migratory bird =, you cant have any lead shot on your person. the fine is 25 dollars per shotshell. i usually shoot all my pheasant with 6 lead and my doves with a target load. but since all three birds are going to be on the land im hunting, i figured it would be easier to find a universal steel load.

4. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I'll take a looksee at what is available and post here soon,hope I am able to help .

5. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    the best I can come up with would be the Hevi shot brand,in either 12 ga,2 3/4"1 1/8 OZ #6
    or a hevi shot 20 ga 2 3/4 " 7/8 OZ # 4
    This brand is very expensive,but the shot used is as close to the velocity and downrange trajectory of lead as we are used to. Midwayusa shows it to be 25.00+ for a box of 10 rounds,Ya might want to change your thinkin on this one

6. Sasquatch_24

Sasquatch_24 New Member

State:
    Colorado
    yeah i found that heavy shot at a local sporting goods store and the wanted 23$ for 10 rounds. the property is close enough that i can shoot doves and pheasants one day, and come back the next with my steel shot and down some teal. thanks a ton for you help! i appreciate it.

7. johnliester

johnliester Active Member

State:
    Hoxie, Kansas
    You are NOT required to shoot steel shot at doves. Read the regs more closely.......
    Thjat being said, due to the high price of lead I'm using a 7/8ths ounce load of #7 steel for doves at 1630 fps + or - a few. wanted to keep the velocity the same as my waterfowl loads. Down side is the recoil. These loads bite!!

8. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    i shoot on a place where we get ducks, pheasants, and geese on the same property. i use #4 steel, super x in 3" shells. it will knock the crap out of a pheasant or any duck, and is good for geese up close. i don't know if i would use it for doves, but have used it quail in a pinch (all i had) and of course it smacked them down. don't worry about the larger steel chewing up meat; out of my 870 mag i get 1 -3 pellets on the bird at 40 yards.

as for recoil- i shoot a lot of ducks and geese, and it can get painful. i replaced my 870's stock and forend with a hogue overmolded stock and recoil isn't noticable now. not sure what brand they are using for it, but i like it a lot.

9. Sasquatch_24

Sasquatch_24 New Member

State:
    Colorado
    the pronlem isnt that i have to shoot doves with steel, my problem is that i cant have ANY lead loads on my while im shooting teal. teal is a migratory bird and is required to be taken with a non-toxic load. if i have any lead shot on my person, ill be fined and ticketed.

10. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Mike ,just do what everyone else does,go hunt teal,then switch shells and hunt dove.

11. Sasquatch_24

Sasquatch_24 New Member

State:
    Colorado
    it seems like thats the only option i have.:crazy: haha

12. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    our game wardens are pretty understanding of that situation, and as long as you don't have both steel and lead in posession at the same time, you're allright. BUT if the us fish and wildlife guys catch you with even lead in the truck, they will get all over your a$$. it doen't make any sense.

13. shovehead1

shovehead1 New Member

State:
    Trumann,Arkansas
    no. 4 shot work for all of those thats what I use