Steel Shot?

Discussion in 'Guns - Blackpowder' started by whodaman, Feb 21, 2009.

1. whodaman

whodaman New Member

State:
    Des Moines Iowa
    I just bought a box of steel shot for my shotgun and i was wanting to know if i can put that through my winchester model 12 pre 64 its an old shotgun but it is in superb shape plus the box of ammo was only a couple dollars at the swamp meat so i said hey why not

2. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    Ain't no way in hell i would shoot steel thru that old gun. You can buy ya an 870 for 1/2 what that winchesters worth. I hate steel shot. I understand they were losing a few birds due to lead injestion but they lose far more to cripples. Sure it will kill, but ya pick up cripples in all the neighboring counties.:confused2:

3. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Cory,First thing I'd consider is the choke,Steel wont hurt most barrels,But if anything will be affected it will most likely be the choke. If the choke is mod or I C you should be ok. If its full,I would look at one of the others like Estate brand non toxic for classic doubles. or the heavy shot. What is the size ? you didnt say ,Some steelin bigger sizes just doesn't pattern well in tighter chokes.

4. Poppa

Poppa New Member

State:
    Pinson, Al
    I would not shoot steel in a pre-64 model 12. It probably would not
    hurt it, but why take the chance. Save that old gentleman for dove
    quail and rabbits. There are some very good pumps on the market
    at very reasonal prices. (remington 870 express, 500 and 835
    Mossbergs) Get one of these for steel shot.

5. whodaman

whodaman New Member

State:
    Des Moines Iowa
    i do need to get a 870 or some sort of new shot gun mabye get another over and under start shooting more trap all though it has been really rough trying to flush a bird in my area the last few years.oh yeah the size of the shells are 2 3/4 12 gauge 1 1/8 oz 4 shot

6. swampratt

swampratt Member

State:
    oklahoma
    Before the steel shot was law , we would buy 3" magnums in #4 and open them up and dump the lead (that was for sinkers) and would add copperhead bb's and close it back up...

Those would fly faster and group tighter than the #4 and we never seen any barrel problems....
    these were 12 gauge 28" full choke guns and with the bb's they would reach way out there..
    Ducks is what we were after..

It has been a long time since i hunted ducks , i used to always buy the stamps even if i did not go..

I wonder if they have copper coated steel shot,
    that could be an alternative.

7. cantstopgrandma

cantstopgrandma New Member

State:
    MD
    If that gun is choked modified or IC i would think about it. If its full DO NOT shoot it. Lead would compress when it hits the choke....steel does not and a lot of people have bulged the barrels on a lot of nice old guns like this. Steel shot itself, in theory shouldn't hurt a barrel because the shot is encased in the wad (in modern steel shotshells anyways) and should never even touch the barrel.