steel leaders

Discussion in 'Gar Fishing' started by cliff n york, Jan 3, 2008.

1. cliff n york

cliff n york New Member

State:
    south carolina
    when fishing for gar, useing a rope lure, do you use a steel leader. if yes what weight an how long of a leader are you useing. also do you use any other type of lure

2. C_wernett

C_wernett New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I've never used a leader, and have caught them on as light at 4# test without a cut off...not break offs occure, but I've never had my line cut. If a fish does cut your line, it will more then likely occure where the tip of the nose crosses the line where there are exposed teeth. I know the teeth are there by getting smacked after landing.

3. DCcatfisher

DCcatfisher New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I never use steel leaders and have caught them while catfishing, although I do use a 18"- 24" 50lb monofilament leader when catfishing I never had one break me off.

4. tncatfishing

tncatfishing New Member

State:
    clk. tn
    I have caught gar when I was catfishing, but I wasn't using a steel leader, just my usual heavy duty line for catting.

5. montgomery#1

montgomery#1 New Member

State:
    ogden utah
    do you live in the lexington area. if you do i would like to know where to go for some gar for some thing to do with my nephews and niece.

6. dan beauchemin

dan beauchemin New Member

State:
    MA
    u sacrifice some action, but it does not mean having to sacrifice a fish

7. natethegreat

natethegreat New Member

State:
    north carolina
    i usually allways use a steel leader just to play it safe

8. ARMYCATS

ARMYCATS New Member

State:
    Georgia
    when im actually targeting gar i always use a steel leader... just in case

9. ArmyCatfish

ArmyCatfish New Member

State:
    Georgia
    when i am actualy targeting gar i use a steel leader about a 12" one its just one of those things. JUST IN CASE all it takes is one of those teeth to rake your line and good bye big gar

10. back channel

back channel Member

State:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    I have never used a leader for gar. I have never had a broken line either. It has been mangled before, thats all.

11. captain kirko

captain kirko New Member

State:
    Indiana
    steel Leader's are for some who need the assurance they are in control.

I am always "out of control":wink:

No leader, anything that floats, RAZOR SHARP HOOKS, and tie on anything that looks like a dying or crippled minnow and you are in business!

12. craddock1

craddock1 Active Member

State:
    TENNESSEE
    a couple years ago i was finding a lot of my jugs with hooks cut off and catching a lot of gar. I put steel leaders on all my jugs. most of them broke the first night. I went back to heavy line when i pulled up a 40 pound flat and the leader snapped at the boat. I was using 160 lb steel leader with barrell swivels on both ends. the fish would just twist them in two.

13. Shreveport Mike

Shreveport Mike New Member

State:
    louisiana
    I've never used a steel leader.