Steel leaders for gar

Discussion in 'Gar Fishing' started by cliff n york, Sep 13, 2007.

1. cliff n york

cliff n york New Member

State:
    south carolina
    how do you make steel leaders for gar. where do you get your supplies?:embarassed:

2. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    Most any decent sporting goods store carries the makings for steel leaders. If there isn't one near you, Bass Pro and Cabela's carry the material. Because its what I can find most easily, I use Berkely coated wire, 120 lb. To do it easily , you need a set of crimping pliers, the leader wire, and sleeves for crimping the loops in the wire. You'll want a good size swivel on the end to where you tie your line. If the gar are smaller ones. under 40 or 50 lbs, you may want to attach a snap on the other end of the line for the hook. If going after larger gar, loop the hook on to the line and crimp it with a sleeve. Its best to use at least a 3 foot leader. I'm lazy so I buy what are called Kingfish leaders already made up with a snap for the hook. My hook is usually a 4/0 or 5/0 strong treble. I've considered going to 12/0 circles, for larger baits.

Haven't used it for gar, but some of the kayak fishermen around here who are fishing from kayaks in the Gulf up to two miles offshore use weed eater mono filament for shark fishing. Usually, its 095 guage. 200 lb mono leader material may also work.

3. craddock1

craddock1 Active Member

State:
    TENNESSEE
    A few years ago i was having a lot of leaders cut by gar. i found everything i needed and put steel leaders on all my jugs. i began finding broke steel leaders right away. i got a couple of large cats to where i could see them and the leaders broke. i was using 120 lb leader wire so it wasn't the weight. i started checking leaders and found it just twists in two rather quickly. that was about the time i went to parachute cord for juglines.

4. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Frank, were you using solid steel leaders, or braided 7-strand? I know a kink in a solid steel leader will weaken it considerably, but I've never had that trouble with the braided. I always preferred the coated, since I was fishing in salt water. Incidentally, the sleeves and crimper tool work great on large diameter monofilament, too; lot easier to crimp +100# mono than it is to try to tie a knot with it that will stay tied. Another place you can get the materials is Jann's Netcraft.

5. iam2hi2flyinky

iam2hi2flyinky New Member

State:
    kentucky
    they make a lead out of the plastic, nylon type stuff dont know what it is but it works great

6. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    If you hope to catch some larger sharks, go to your home building supply store and look for some plastic coated twisted wire cable. I used to use that stuff to lift a 9' overhead camper on and off my pickup. And when you catch those sting rays, remember that the wings taste like scallops!