Steam Plant Fishing

Discussion in 'LOCAL TENNESSEE TALK' started by festus, Oct 21, 2009.

1. festus

festus New Member

Does anyone fish steam plants during the winter? What's your favorite spot and what do you catch? I never fished Gallatin Steam Plant, but my job took me there a few times.

I just heard some bad news, Bull Run Steam Plant will not be generating for many months. In case of a miracle, they may start back up in February. Heard it through the grapevine it may be shut down for 14 months. It's actually costing them more to make electricity than to be idle. That's really gonna put the hurt on many catfish and striper fishermen. Several state records have come out of there, yellow perch, northern pike, brown trout, and saugeye. At one time the world record for landlocked striped bass was also caught there, soon to be broken by someone in California.

Does anyone know if Kingston Steam Plant is generating?

2. TennesseeJugger

TennesseeJugger New Member

State:
    Watertown, Tenn
    I have pulled some nice cats out of the Gallatin plant during the winter and also lots of skips.

3. festus

festus New Member

Yeah, when I worked at Hartsville Nuclear Plant I had to go to Gallatin Steam Plant to pick up some stuff off a barge. This was about 30 years ago, don't remember much of the details, but it was really cold and there were lots of people fishing. Think it was about the middle of February.

4. TennesseeJugger

TennesseeJugger New Member

State:
    Watertown, Tenn
    Thats when you could fish from the bank, you can no longer do that you have to have a boat now.

5. festus

festus New Member

Yes, it's getting that way up this way, too. You're allowed to fish just a limited spot at Bull Run from the bank, and it's really not worth the effort. Kingston Steam Plant is closed for bank fishing, also. There's a good spot across from Kingston S.P. under the I-40 bridge. The last time I went there, however, a dang barge from a clean up crew was in the way and I had to go elsewhere. Not for sure if they'll be generating there this winter yet.

6. mintaka

mintaka Well-Known Member

State:
    Charlotte , N.C
    There are 3 steam plants I fish in winter. 2 have decent shore spots. 1 for some reason is blocked off by a fence after about 300 yards from the bridge. All 3 produce well from what I've heard , but the best is #2 on the 2nd lake down.

7. playin4funami

playin4funami New Member

State:
    Saronville Ne.
    homeland security has ruined more good fishing access than they will ever catch any terrorists,mostly they just shut off access near anything that could be considered a target. Some of which are so stupid it's just worth laughing about,like denying access to fishing from a dam on a small irrigation lake in the midwest,I'm real sure that's a statigic target! I can understand some places but come on let's get a grip,it would cost more in explosives than any damage that would be done,and folks with that ethnic background get noticed real quick,at least around here they do.

8. WLG

WLG New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    HAs anyone heard if the skippies are in there at the cumberland steam plant yet?

9. catfishbill33

catfishbill33 New Member

State:
    Clarksville, TN
    I have been there two days this week and only brought back 3 and that was all.Some have caught a few more but they are scarce.

10. festus

festus New Member

Yes, you're right about that, Don. What's so ironic is the spots that are off limits to bank fishermen are accessible by boat. Couldn't a terrorist carry in more explosives in a boat than in a backpack or tackle box. :eek:oooh:

Got some more bad news last night. Kingston Steam Plant won't be generating this winter. If there's no warm discharge water, there's no fishing. :angry: :sad2: :crazy: :confused2: That will sure put a halt to the fishing around Kingston and Oak Ridge now. Lots of striper guides use these two places as bread and butter during the off season. I guess the warmest water to me now during the winter would be Watts Bar Nuclear Plant, and I think I heard a while back they're not running either. :angry: Even if they were, that's triple the gasoline and distance to me than to Kingston Steam Plant or Bull Run. :angry: It won't only be fishing guides, but lots of folks fish for striper, muskie, cats, and sauger during the colder months. It really picks up right after Christmas because lots of people receive fishing tackle for gifts and try them out in late December. :angry:

11. Brad30110

Brad30110 New Member

State:
    Georgia
    As for winter fishing that is when you can take advantage of the warmer waters. I have my best luck catching bigger fish in the winter and spring around warm water discharges. As for Cumberland City Steam Plant, it's almost time to start hitting it good there. In the next 3 weeks things will change alot. The water temps are now in low 70's, some bait fish are starting to move in. The biggest problem has been low water levels, but they are coming back up. Every morning at first light bait balls move into the discharge section and the skipjack are in the for about 30 mins. Once the water cools down alittle more they will stay in there. The rockfish will also start hanging out in the warmer water also. My best days have been when it was 10 degrees outside. Good luck guys!

12. tndogman

tndogman New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I have heard some talk that several of the TVA Steam Plants may be idled or actually done away with in the next few years ... something to do with the Feds tightening up more on air emissions and the work to update some of the plants is not worth it economically.

13. festus

festus New Member

Well, they're right about that. I've worked at one steam plant and been inside a couple more, and they're nasty places. We'd be better off without them, but the fishing will sure suffer. If Bull Run and Kingston get shut down, I know a couple of bait shops will be in jeopardy.