STEALTH: Keep it quiet

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by wolfman, Jun 9, 2008.

1. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    A catfish's sense of hearing is over 15 times more sensitive than the average fish. Catfish are capable of detecting sound up to 13,000 cycles per second. Their hearing organs, are vastly developed and highly acute. Fishermen must learn to respect a catfish's sense of hearing, because by doing so, they will catch more, bigger fish.

There have been plenty of times when I was unsuccessful and can only wonder if it was because of unnecessary noise Ive made while preparing rods and rigs or baiting up. Also I have noticed that most strikes come after a long period of silence or quietness.

Some species of catfish are so sensitive to low-frequency vibrations that the Chinese once used them to warn of potential earthquakes. If they can sense changes inside the earth, I'm willing to bet they can hear just about anything you do on the shoreline or in a boat.

When targeting flatheads, I like it dark as possible, only using light when needed. My catch rate has increased when I stopped using lights,lanterns or bank side campfires.

2. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

State:
    MO
    I fish on a river that has constant boat and jet ski traffic in the summer months. It doesn't make the least bit of difference in the bite - I catch catfish when the boats go by; I catch catfish when the boats don't go by. And some days I don't catch them regardless of whether other boats pass or not...

3. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    On the MO I try to be as quiet and "dark" as possible when fishing shallow flats. There's not a lot of traffic on the river and I don't want any out of place thumps and bumps from the bottom of the boat to spook shallow fish. Dunno if it matters or not, but it doesn't take much effort to be quiet and it makes me more confident:wink:

4. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    Have you ever sat there in the dark and noticed how still it's not? There's always something going bump in the night. No matter if it's a tree,beaver or another fish splashing on the surface. Now light on the other hand I try not to use it's out of the ordinary in the dark.

5. shelbygt1979

shelbygt1979 New Member

State:
    Olathe, KS
    I agree I think No Lite and that includes the full moon Is far more inportant then the amount of noise. For Channels And Blues

However Both when it comes to Flatheads. IMO.

6. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    wolfman hit this one right on the head...especially when fishing secluded river spots for flatheads.

7. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY

Yep, I agree 100%!!! If you're fishing a heavy traffic area it won't matter as much but like Jack says if its a secluded spot or shallow water or flat be as quiet as possible and keep the light to a minimum.

Great post Wolfman, I couldn't agree anymore!!!!!:wink::big_smile:

8. Pirate Jerry

Pirate Jerry New Member

State:
    Yulee Florida
    Thats another area where kayaks are good to fish from. Very low profile to the water and very quiet. I use cloth tackle bags so no noise from that as well...

9. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Thanks for the great info. I know that I sometimes forget the art of stealth when I am fishing. I should try harder to be more quiet

10. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    I'm not convinced that boat traffic puts fish off biting but I make as little noise as possible in the boat because that is how I like to fish.
    One thing is for certain, if you are out there I can hear your radio blaring out music then you are pissing me off whether it's affecting the fishing or not.
    The last time we were out I could here music and there wasn't even a boat in sight. As the music got louder he gradually came into view. By the time I could see the boat clearly the music was louder than his motor.
    All I could conclude was that he was a total arse hole.:angry:
    ...W

11. JRicker

JRicker New Member

State:
    Tenessee
    Guess being quiet means i should turn off the radio and not get drunk and jump over the fire naked?:sad2:

12. bigbengal

bigbengal New Member

State:
    WV
    This is some great information. I know I always keep the bank lit up and this could be a liability.

Thanks this post:big_smile:

13. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

State:
    MO
    My music is almost always louder than my motor. But that's because I run a Suzuki 4-stroke...

Music sure doesn't scare the fish away where I fish. When the bite gets slow, I revert to a trick I learned from Steve Brown: Put on some Merle Haggard and crank it up. Always makes them bite...:big_smile:

I think folks try to give catfish a lot more credit for being smart and wily than they're really worthy of. They're just big dumb eating machines; you put the right bait in the right place and you'll catch one just about every time. It's not until we can't catch them that we have to start inventing reasons why - they're hook shy; they can see my line; they don't like light; they don't like noise; the barometric pressure was too high; the barometric pressure was too low -- and on and on.

The bottom line is, some days you catch them, some days you don't. And some days it rains.

14. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    Like Winston, I fish quiet, because I prefer quiet. Quiet can't hurt, noise might.

That said, there's a very interesting article in the June/July In-Fisherman that deals with stimulating the bite by creating disturbances with boats, engines, paddles, and enormous crankbats with the hooks removed being banged off of underwater structure. It's a good read.

15. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    They are big eating machines, but they've also spent a good chunk of their life before they got real big trying not to get eaten. I'll still opt for quiet and dark over loud and brightly lit on the off chance they're a bit more easily spooked than some might think.

16. germanmudfish

germanmudfish New Member

State:
    Gray, GA
    I fish quiet because that is the way my Grandmama's paddle said I should fish. "You can not eat misses and french fries.":wink:

17. smitty1963

smitty1963 New Member

State:
    Virginia
    I didnt realize that cats were so sensitive to noise

18. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    I believe all wild animals have instinctive fears of changes or unfamiliar things in their surroundings that helps them survive.
    I think if you took a catfish from a pond that had never been visited by humans and had seen no artificial light or boat traffic, and put it in a busy river or lake that is lit up and full of people and boats it would be totally spooked and probably would not eat for several days. BUT, those same instincts that drive it to survive will make it go and find food. Everything has to adapt or perish.

I do not think that on a river like the Ohio for instance, the boat traffic bothers them one bit nor does loud music or even people in the water. If it did they would starve.
    We do indeed give the fish a lot of credit for being smarter than us and we do make a lot of excuses for not catching them BUT I do know for a fact that fish that are caught and released repeatedly get harder and harder to catch. I don't necessarily think it's because they are smart, but more a case of adapting.
    Having said all that, I will continue to fish quietly and the jet skiers and loud-radio-yeh-hoos will continue to piss me off even if the fish don't mind...W

P.S. Listening to Merle would make me want to bite something too!!!