Steak or Stew meat

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by joeczar, Aug 19, 2006.

1. joeczar

joeczar New Member

State:
    Parma, Ohio
    I read somewhere about using steak or stew meat as catfish bait. I tried it at Spencer lake and I had a bunch of runs on it and I did catch one
    4 pounder on it. I had one break my line it felt like a pretty nice fish.
    I took some people advise and tried the garlic salt method and I used stew meat. I cut it into strips and and mixed it with some chicken liver and the garlic salt. I will try it again and let you know how it worked

2. BigCat4

BigCat4 New Member

State:
    Quincy,Ill
    First off i think i speak for every one when i say....WELCOME to the BOC and i never heard about using something like that for bait but hey if it catches fish then id use it !

and id be happy if you told us how you did!!!

3. SeedTick

SeedTick New Member

State:
    Conway Arkansas
    Sounds good Joe and Welcome to the Brotherhood.

st

4. Pastor E

Pastor E New Member

State:
    Beebe AR
    Welcome to the BOC Bro if you don`t catch any you can always eat the bait:lol:

5. jeremiad

jeremiad Well-Known Member

Name:
    Unspecified
    I guess that such meat might work, but unless it is a leftover reaching its maximum age in the fridge, I would stick with less expensive bait, such as chicken livers and hot dogs.

My rule of thumb for catfish bait: if it works on the compost heap, it will probably catch a catfish! :lol:

6. flatheadchris

flatheadchris New Member

State:
    sc
    can i just have my steaksauce and my grill? beef is to high on price lol get a 2.00 can of worms,catch some bream and go at it haha

7. joeczar

joeczar New Member

State:
    Parma, Ohio
    I paid 3.29 for a 1lb package of stew meat and I had enough for 2 trips. I also caught 2 on the same piece of meat. I took out about 1/2 a container of chicken livers and mixed the meat in the container with garlic salt and I think it workrd pretty well. There where alot of small bullheads early in the evening where I was fishing at. I am going out this Friday and trying it again I will keep you posted

8. ripleyhunter

ripleyhunter New Member

State:
    ohio
    I've taken sirloin and cut them into thin strips & about 2-3 inch long. then i pour on some parmesan cheese. works awsome for channel & bull head but not much else. good luck!

9. kycatman01

kycatman01 New Member

State:
    kentucky
    Welcome to the BOC, Joe!! I would say it would work, but I hate to part with a steak. Getting hungry just thinking about it.

10. jeremiad

jeremiad Well-Known Member

Name:
    Unspecified
    I just had to point out my post on using scrapple for bait. I was amazed at how many posted saying that they refused to use their good scrapple for bait!

I think I got more such posts than here about steak! :lol:

Now, with scrapple selling for $1.79 a pound around here on sale, and steak goes for how much now? Hmmm... :roll_eyes:

11. DirtyHowi

DirtyHowi New Member

State:
    va
    i started catching cat's on tough ol steak from breakfast (always got steak and eggs) but on one occasion the steak was a bit on the ahem...chewy side, so i used it for bit, got probably 10 chunks out of the darn thing, pulled in 6 pretty good channels.

12. kaleigh

kaleigh New Member

State:
    Lehigh Valley Pa
    too good for the fish,that kind of bait would be in my mouth before it got to the fishes mouth :eek:oooh:

13. thomcat

thomcat New Member

State:
    pennsylvania 17745
    welcome to the BOC, steak huh, sound like it would work pretty good, id be interested to hear how well it works.....

14. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    Still no Scrapple available in my rural Georgia area.My local Butcher claims that he has never heard of it before.O well.I found that the taste varied as much as the makers did in Pa.Has it changed in 40 years?My butcher still cuts meat along with offering the prepackaged meat.(RARE these days) As for Stew Meat.You can normally find a roast at a equal or far better quality,for a often much cheaper price.Cut it in pieces across the grain as much as possible and you have your stew meat.If you can cut bait,you can cut up stew meat.When Cats are really bitting,they will bite most anything.Some times they are really picky.Some times they get lockjaw.Eating the bait is far better than being hungry.peewee-williams

15. FishMan

FishMan New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    sounds like it would work.. good idea