Staying Warm

Discussion in 'Boat Tips' started by blackwaterkatz, Dec 21, 2005.

1. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    I went out on a lake yesterday, temp 30, wind easterly at 10-15. I intentionally did not wear thermal underwear, just heavy hunting jeans, chamois shirt, leather boots. I wear my life jacket underneath my coat.
    I did all this because I wanted to take my youngest grandson today in similar conditions, and he doesn't have all the stuff like I would normally wear. I wanted to see what it would be like for him, and after doing so, decided not to take him today, until I can get him the proper clothing. The wind was brutal. My feet and hands were the coldest. I had gloves for when I was driving or sitting, but to bait up, etc, I was bare-handed. I don't think my fingers all warmed up until I was back home. Just imagine how it would be for a young kid not properly dressed. I need to do something beyond just having warmer clothing for him when I do take him.

Question is: What do some of you use or do to stay warm when fishing from an open boat (center console, in my case) in the winter? Does anyone use heaters, hand warmers, etc? I've seen shelters built on some larger boats, but mine isn't large enough for something like that.

2. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    Hey, I'm on the bank right now but in the winter I mostly fish this bridge on the mainlake where it's almost the same thing as being in a boat, it's always super windy in the winter there too. I went the other night it was 20 degrees and the wind was going about 10.....here's how I did it....... I just put on two pairs of sweat pants, two long sleeve t-shirts, and my Frogg Togg fishing suit over that stuff, then a big winter coat, then my fishing overall's, and last but diffently not least three pairs of socks. Here's what I always say "it's better to go with too much clothes on then to go with not enough" I mean if you get too hot than you can just take some off, but if your too cold and dont have any extra clothes with you, than you might be in trouble. Also I use a little propane heater called "Mr. Heater" that's the brand of it. Work's great, got it for $40, ebay has great deals on them sometimes. ;) Also those little feet and handwarmers work great in my opinion, esspecialy the feet warmers.
    I normally dont wear gloves while fishing, I just put my hands in my pockets....this may explain why my hands always turn purple though. :eek: :eek: Also I have a Rabbit Fur hat that I got from bass pro shops for $40, it's the best hat I've ever got.....keep's my ear's very warm!
    Alot of people forget about thier legs when they are dressing for some cold winter fishing. Alot of people worry the most about the upper part of thier body...I did too, until I learned not to do that. You have to have your whole body dressed appropiatly. Fishing is usually great in the winter too....at least it is and always has been for me.... ;) :D

Good luck :)

3. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    Your feet are probably the most important thing to keep warm. When your dogs get cold theres no comfort at all. LOL! When it comes to your hands I have yet to see or hear of an effective method for protecting them. Obviousely the secret is to keep em dry. I have a pair of gloves that are used by scuba divers. They are insulated and will keep your hands dry. Not the best for baitin a hook because they are somewhat cumbersome but they will work. I am not above keepin those chemical activated hand warmer packs available for use either. Yea! I'm a whimp! LOL!

4. blackwaterkatz

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Katmaster Jr., how well does that 'Mr. Heater' work? I've seen them around. Also seen a coleman catalytic heater at walmart that might work ok to warm hands, but if the wind is blowing it wouldn't do much more. I have a larger on that uses a large propane cylinder, but that takes up too much room. I can dress warm, but I don't want to be so bundled up that I couldn't move around if I fell overboard. In 40ish degree water, you only have a couple of minutes to react, once the cold water soaks through.

katfshn50, I've seen those gloves, and thought about them, too. A lot of the duck hunters use them. I have worn surgical gloves that help a little, just by keeping the skin dry.

Does anyone use a windbreak of any kind on an open boat? It may not be worth it unless anchored, probably be more like a sail if the wind is blowing much...

5. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    Yeah, when your old hound dogs get cold there's diffently no comfort....LOL....you better put them back in the dog house .....LOL :eek: :eek: :D

6. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    Blackwatercatz.......That Mr heater is AWESOME, works like a dream....I never have any trouble with it and it cranks some serious heat....sometimes you want to turn it into a A/C it can get so hot usng it...even when it's freezing. I had a artcile that was about a windbreaker idea on a boat....it had something to do with a shower curtain running around the boat....you have to have a big boat to do it though.....I'll see if I can find the article... :)

7. SilverCross

SilverCross New Member

State:
    Fairbury, Illin
    The answer to the cold hands is don't worry about what it looks like, but there is nothing better than a very good pair of mittens to keep them warm. As you stated you take them off to bait up anyway, but when all your fingers and thumb are together they tend to stay warm ten fold over gloves. I have a pair of heavy mittens and have never had my hands get cold in them. Then you need to get some pure wool sox, they will keep your feet warmer than two or three pair of regular sox will, if your feet sweat that is what usually make them get cold. Put a little table salt in your shoes everyday and eventually they will quit sweating and then they stay a lot warmer. I got a new pair of insulated hunting boots this year and haven't had any cold feet so far, with the wool sox in them.

I use a poncho to block the wind with sometimes, but is a pain when you want to cast in my opinion. You can take a small tarp along that you can block the wind with. You can always lay it down while you are throwing out or bringing one home, then get back behind the tarp till the next time you have to get out. Hope this will help one and all that like to get out in the cold and FISH.

8. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    Last year about this time there was a thread that had a wealth of tips for staying warm including those Therma things you get at Walmart and using dry deoderant on your feet to keep them dry.Both of those things work very well as do the air activated hand and feet warmers.I use those skiing all the time and they are great.Never did like the old JON-Es because you smelled like lighter fluid.There isn't much to mitigate a long ride at speed in an open boat which is why most of the Santee guides have enclosures on their pontoons with heaters etc.I try anddress warmly with all the latest in Goretex and Thinsulate,then remove the bulky stuff when I am active, baiting up ,casting etc.Tommy the Cabelas catalog has lots of good clothing and underwear for winter activities.Most of the Marines are going to the UNDER ARMOUR stuff so that is a pretty good endorsement.

9. Deltalover

Deltalover New Member

State:
    Tracy Calif
    I use the layer system and "mister heater", I also have a pair of fleece gloves that have the fingers cut out with a mitten cover. There is also a slot to slip your thumb out. They work great, got um at wally world! I have also seen a pair of neoprene gloves with removable fingers at a local baitshop. I hope to find them under my tree in a few days! (hint Debi) lol

10. blackwaterkatz

State:
    Andrews, SC
    I thought I remembered seeing something about tips before, but couldn't find it doing a search. I use duo-therm, I think that's the name, and they work pretty well. I also use the anti-perspirant deal (got that from a missionary who served in China many years ago, along with nylon pantyhose, which I will not try, no matter what!). I use the hand/feet warmers, too. I've seen the under armor advertised at Cabela's but don't know much about it, maybe I need to check it out. I don't normally use a hood with my outerwear, just don't like that or a ski mask, except maybe when underway in the boat. I might need to get some of this stuff for Tyler (the grand). He has insulated coveralls, but that isn't enough on days like yesterday.

11. boliver

boliver New Member

State:
    Rudy Ark
    a 5 gal metal bucket 1/4th full of charchol does a pretty good job unless its really cold here in ark. mittens deff. better than gloves.

12. wpsatisfide

wpsatisfide New Member

State:
    Pawleys Island, SC
    Pretty sure youd do this anyway, but if there is room make sure he rides beside you (behind windshield) when moving.

13. gottafish

gottafish New Member

State:
    Chesapeake, VA
    A good pair of polypropolene or polyester thermal underwear and wool in layers. There is no comparison. If you use synthetics for outer layers, it takes MORE layers to keep warm The use of wool is also a safety thing for me - if I go in the water, I'd rather be wearing wool over synthetics any day. It's very important that you keep his head covered and warm. I use either a stocking cap or a Wool lined Filson Cap with a flap that covers the ears and back of the neck. For gloves I usually just wear a pair of military wool gloves if I need them. Most of the time I just keep my hands in my pockets unless it gets REALLY cold. When it gets REALLY cold and I expect to be active (working up a sweat) I also wear a pair of silk longjons OVER my polys. That shouldn't be an issue in fishing though. For the feet, I wear a pair of Poly liner socks and a pair of wool socks. In subzero temps I put a chemical "handwarmer" on top of my toes between the sock layers. It doesn't get as warm as it does in a coat pocket because of the lack of oxygen but it helps.

I've got an article that I wrote about keeping warm while waterfowl hunting. As soon as I can, I will update it to reflect winter fishing and post.

/Scott

14. Thomas P. Conley

Thomas P. Conley New Member

State:
    Copperas Cove,TX.
    Keeping warm is a problem for some and no matter what they do they have a real hard time at it. I've been out when it was so cold that the Bic Lighter froze solid yet I was out all day in sub-arctic weather and survived with a little discomfort ( I'm talking 45-60 degree's below zero and that cold no matter who you are). I used to dress in poly socks with good wool socks over them, good thermal boots, five buckle arctics over them. Long under ware, pants, wool sweater with heavy shirt over that, quilted suit over everything. For the head wool watch cap with long neck guard, heavy over hat, wool gloves with heavy wind resistant mittens over them. Only problem with all the clothing it was bugger when you had to go to the bathroom. I lived like this for months at a time.

15. brad kilpatrick

brad kilpatrick New Member

State:
    Kansas City
    I have only had them for a day but i was outside with only My new under armor shirt on and didn't even think about getting a chill. I've only heard good things about The under armor cold gear. really thin and tight ,like a second skin but after a minute you get used to it.

16. Doctor

Doctor Member

State:
    Springfield, Ohio
    My Grandson is 4 years old and he goes fishing with Larry and I the Boy is going to be chasing cats all his life which is pure pleasure for ole Grandpaw, when I retire he will be fishing with me till he starts chasing girls. Right now if he sees or hears my boat is leaving he is calling me on the Nextel.

He has an UnderArmour hood, and wears the Insulated boots has Insulated coveralls or the snow skiing outfit and mittens, we also have the Mr Heater on board the boat, and something I learned from my brother in Alaska is to carry a blanket with you and while fishing just have it laid over your legs, it is amazing how much heat they will retain, when a fish hits a rod just toss it off, but the blanket makes a big difference and combine it with the Mister heater you can stay warm as toast. Here's a picture of Josh all decked out.......Doc

Attached Files:

17. zappaf19

zappaf19 New Member

State:
    Monticello,IN
    Here is something to keep in mind. Falling in with lots of clothes might be to heavy for your life jacket. If it does the weight might make it impssible to get back in the boat. Hypo thermia (sp) is a killer. Not trying to be a nag or anything just brought this up for saftey reasons.
    Bill

18. blackwaterkatz

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Thanks, guys, for all the posts. There is some really good info there, and I'll sort through it. I noticed that most of you are from states that have colder weather than we normally do here in lower SC. Upper 20's is pretty cold for us, mid-upper teens is real cold, so a lot of us don't normally have the clothing available that you may have. I have the duo-fold thermals (I'm going to check into the under armor stuff too), insulated boots, coveralls, ski mask, etc, and that is usually enough. I bought some of those neoprene gloves and a small catalytic heater, too. My oldest grandson, who lives with us, has plenty of warm outdoor clothing, but the youngest doesn't hunt or fish much at all in cold weather, so he doesn't have as much. I'll have to get him some before he goes with me, though. Riding beside me helps break the wind while underway, too.
    Zappaf19, you mentioned the possibility of overloading a life preserver, and that is an excellent point. It's the reason I dress as lightly as possible, and I wear the life jacket underneath my coat or coveralls, in hopes that I could shed the outer layers if I had to. I also use a kill switch at all times when underway. I have been thrown overboard in subfreezing weather before, with heavy clothing, and I am well aware of the danger. Thanks for making that point, though.

19. derbycitycatman

derbycitycatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Name:
    your first name
    I gotta second the use a blanket or sleeping bags. Sometimes you can zip together two bags and it is amazing how warm they keep you, even in wind.

20. Chanellocked

Chanellocked New Member

State:
    Lake St. Louis, MO
    A little trick I learned from a friend for keeping my feet warm during deer season, pick up a pair of Artic Feet(Basspro, Cabelas) they slip on over your boots, then drop a hot hands packet in each bootie. Works wonders if you're sitting for long periods :thumbsup: