staying safe while fishing

Discussion in 'LOCAL OHIO TALK' started by Monsterkat11, Nov 17, 2009.

1. Monsterkat11

Monsterkat11 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    how many of you guys carry while fishing? i used to carry a Taurus .357 hammerless revolver until it was stolen from my vehicle (no complains, my own dumb fault!) now i carry a Czechoslovakian CZ 70 .32

just wondering how many other ccw holders we have on the sight!

nothing has ever happened to me while fishing thus far but i feel better knowing i'm prepared if it goes down

2. ryang

ryang Well-Known Member

State:
    Blacklick, Ohio
    Name:
    Gary
    Im not a CCW holder so I would rather not be caught with a loaded firearm. If its my time to go its my time to go and having a gun isnt going to keep me here any longer if the person sneaks up behind me before I can turn around

3. Shad Man

Shad Man New Member

State:
    Tyler, TX
    I usually carry mostly to protect myself from squirrels, geese, and the illusive bigfoot.:smile2::smile2::smile2::smile2::smile2:

4. Monsterkat11

Monsterkat11 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    well it's not too hard to get! :roll_eyes: but i understand your point, i have a few friends that have that way of thinking of it, which is respectable, but i personally would rather have it on me just in case

5. Jeremy Sheffey

Jeremy Sheffey New Member

State:
    Columbus, Ohio
  6. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    i carry almost all the time. i dont know which is worse, out in the boonies of ohio where you have snakes, coyote, rabid coons, men with banjo's, and bigfoot.....or near urban areas where i fish and have to worry about crackheads, car thieves, change bandits (the ones who bust out a window for .75 in your console), or "Picklers"/sexual predators (yes they have been know to team up and....well,....take advantage of people!). in any case i feel so much safer with a pistol in my pocket.

i usually carry a .40 cal taurus compact semi-auto with top of ther line hollowpoints, sometimes i just take my tiny NAA .22lr. it seems now that i carry weird stuff just stopped happening to me at night, almost like the perps "felt" the presence of a gun.

the more that carry and get checked by the wardens/park rangers the better, looks good statisticaly. makes me feel good when the local "metro park" rangers stop to check my liscense. the "metro parks" were beside themselves when they found out they had to honor the CCW. "oh by the way officer, i am ARMED"...:wink:

i sincerely hope i never have to fire a bullet for any of the menntioned reasons.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2009
  7. JBrooks

JBrooks New Member

State:
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    I don't carry, but will be soon. Plan on getting my CCL the first of the year. I'd like to carry an M9 Beretta or something in the Taurus family.

8. ryang

ryang Well-Known Member

State:
    Blacklick, Ohio
    Name:
    Gary
    Why the sarcasm??? I dont know how hard it is to get I wouldnt mind getting one tho. What Im saying is that you could have a hand cannon that will blow away anything in its path but if your asleep in your chair do you think youll get it out in time??? Or if you sitting there by yourself listening to nature or taking a pizz and someone comes up behind puts one in the back of the head arnt you glad that you just now gave them another one to carry???

Just because you have a gun doesnt mean youll be able to use it:wink:

9. kitsinni

kitsinni New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I don't and probably never will. I have never felt like I need one. It is funny but I see more people from the country that feel they need a gun at all times and more people from the city that don't feel they need one at all. Maybe we city folk just have to take so much crap daily you get thick skin? You would think it would be opposite that.

10. smoothkip25

smoothkip25 New Member

State:
    ohio
    Im not against the CCL at all. I myself do not have one and i do not plan to get one. I think a gun can just escullate the situation and make matters worse. I know there are alot of badasses on here that say oh i would drop the hammer but talk to the guys that have actually have had to and get there opinion. I myself could not take a life cause someone wanted my wallet. Think about it guys!

11. smoothkip25

smoothkip25 New Member

State:
    ohio
    Another thing is! The Media has made us all crazy and paranoid! I dont lock my house I dont lock mt Vehicles, Ill even pick up Hitchhikers call me crazy but i trust till my trust is broken! theres more good people than bad out there in this world!

12. Monsterkat11

Monsterkat11 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    i'm from small town Iowa, but mainly lived in the city my whole life. i've met alot of people who don't feel the need to carry because they feel they don't need it, i say tell that to the people who were victims of random shooting or fatal crimes that a gun could have saved their life. the main thing about living in the country opposed to the city...in the country...no one can hear you scream :wink: and yes i agree that maybe all the time you won't be able to access your gun or use your gun, but why eliminate the option? and yes, maybe they'll get your gun, and they have yet another gun, but thats not the only way they'll get a gun. no one will ever stop a criminal from getting a gun..nobody.
    And yes, i also agree with the "bad asses" that say they would drop the hammer if they needed to, but that's really a personal delema you don't know the answer to until it happens. To feel confident in carrying a gun you have to have alot of confidence in your judgment calls and be able to think quick. It's a big responsibility that's not to be taken lightly, which can help you and hurt you. I always carry my gun out in the open when i fish with a secure holster. This is good because maybe someone will change their mind when they are thinking of robbing me, or it can be bad because now they know what to expect..i already believe i've had a few instances with shady characters coming up on me and casually making haste after a short conversation. I feel much safer carrying knowing I have the option, although it may not always be helpful, at least i have the option.

13. Monsterkat11

Monsterkat11 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    no sarcasm! didn't mean to make it sound that way, it's really quite easy. the state of ohio has a 12 hour minimum of training time and a minimum of two hours of shooting and 100 rounds through a gun, you can get your concealed carry class for about 100 bucks, sometimes cheaper, basically 3 days 4 hours or one day 12 hours, there's a few different options there, then as long as you haven't been convicted of any felonies and have a clear record, take your certificate, social card, birth certificate, state ID and 55 bucks to the sheriffs office, they'll take your prints and you'll have your CCW license anywhere from 1 week to 4 weeks, i think it has to be back to you within 45 days. like i said, maybe you won't be able to use it all the time but at least you'll have the option

14. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    It's funny to hear (read) comments from folks who do not have CCW's. No one is affraid for their wallet , it goes farther than that. Ohio is an "OPEN CARRY" state which in a nut shell says I can carry my gun on the outside unconcealed (and it has to be 100% unconcealed) and be perfectly legal. It's not just CCW holders boasting that they'll drop a bad guy at a moments notice. It's about those w/ CCW's being responsible enough to know that if trouble comes looking for you, your wife or your child you'll stand a better chance of not being a statistic.

I pray that I never am in the posistion to where I have to pull the trigger, however if it means me being able to wake up in the morning next to my wife or child I'll have no problem squeezing my index finger ever so slightly. If you do not share that same thought then carrying a firearm is not for you. Please do us all a favor and not carry a firearm.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2009
  15. Fl.catman

Fl.catman New Member

State:
    Fl
    I have been rethinking about carring myself. I have a few knifes & a good hatchet to use if someone is a real threat to me or others with me they will most likely be within hands reach. Not to mention I'm one that would shoot first then worry about the aftermath later. If they are going to shoot me for no reason they are not going to let me see them before they fire. I have had the game officer try to slip up on me in the dark and I'd hate to shoot one of them before knowing it was a officer. So you have a really good point.

16. kitsinni

kitsinni New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I am not against guns in any way. It seems like people like people want to completely ignore the negatives that can happen when you protect yourself with a gun. I personally know someone who was robbed, tried to protect themselves and ended up dead. I just can't help but feeling if they had not tried to protect themselves they would have been out some money but would be alive today. Guns can serve as a vital tool in protecting yourself, but they can also escalate a situation like a robbery to a murder. Not to mention what happens mentally and emotionally to some of the toughest men when they kill someone, even if it was completely legal and legit. Just be careful and don't pull the gun unless you have NO other choice.

17. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I also want to add that another weapo like a knife, ball bat or pipe can also usefull, however even those can be taken away and used against you.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2009
  18. ryang

ryang Well-Known Member

State:
    Blacklick, Ohio
    Name:
    Gary
    I dont want to make is sound like its no option to carry either concealed or otherwise, what I am trying to point out is if you do have one it doesn't necessarily mean that you will be able to use it. On a boat I think it would be a little easier to "hear" someone trying to come up on you but still if your asleep or just not paying attention then it could happen regardless of having a gun.

Just like a gun could save your life so could looking both ways before crossing the street only you have a possibility of taking a life with the gun. We all could die in any number of ways and having a gun doesnt mean that you will live to see the next morning does that make more sense?

19. pendog66

pendog66 New Member

State:
    Brookville OH
    i occassional carry a 45 but usually just a big knife Bear Grylls style:smile2:

20. Monsterkat11

Monsterkat11 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    i agree with this post, and i must say these are definitely things you have to take into consideration when you accept the responsibility of carrying a firearm. i have a noticed a big change in my awareness when i'm carrying. i'm constantly checking my surroundings and i'm always aware of who is around me when i carry. because i know that if someone comes up on me and takes my gun it is now a weapon against me. thats why i carry in a holster which the gun is held firmly and i know the trick to get it out quickly. I agree with all of these points you guys are making, and thanks so much for keeping this thread civil guys!

all these points apposing carrying are valid points but are things we all have to think about if we choose to carry concealed, or as mellon stated, carry open, as ohio DOES have an open carry law. but i figured i'd play it safe and get that CCW.