Statewide Smoking Ban

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by zeboman, Jun 13, 2008.

1. zeboman

zeboman New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    In three months a statewide smoking ban in public places takes affect here in Pennsylvania, there are 32 other states who have also banned smoking. There are alot of bar and restaurant owners trying to fight this ban stating it will put them out of business. I don`t know off hand what other states have put this in place but was wondering if any of you have seen ill affects due to this ban.

2. uttatoo

uttatoo New Member

State:
    greatbend kansas
    i dont agree with the ban
    but in cali the ban has been there since the 90's and the bars improvised they built roofs over the outside and put tables under them and people go out there and smoke

3. zeboman

zeboman New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    I guess that`s one way around it but my question is how will they enforce it ? The cigarette police. LOL!!!

4. uttatoo

uttatoo New Member

State:
    greatbend kansas
    actually the police will have to when they go into the bars if they see it in there they will write out a citation for it
    i bielieve its against our right if you ask me you live in a republican state dont you

5. CATFISHING1

CATFISHING1 New Member

State:
    MO.
    in the state of ARKANSAS if you are seen driving and smoking with a child in the car they will give you a ticket. ive been smoke free for18 mo. now and i think its a bunch of bull. if you smoke then smoke if you dont and it bothers you LEAVE. just my take on it.

6. big-muddy

big-muddy New Member

State:
    norfolk, va
    that rule is in effect in illinois, but they don't enforce it anymore. the barowners in mt vernon got sick of everyone going outside and leaving the bar empty, so they just let ya light up in the corner. police dont come in the bars unless there is a fight or something

7. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    Yes, Arkansas has the smoking ban and I LOVE it! :big_smile:

Years before the law, one of the restaurants here was smoke free. It sure never hurt their business.

I've never heard of any problem enforcing the law. I think most people accept it. I've never seen anyone trying to smoke in the restaurants that we patronize that have bars.

I was a smoker many years ago but had the will power to stop. Started as a 15 year old punk kid trying to be like the big boys. It took about 12 years for me to wise up.

8. Kat-tamer

Kat-tamer New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Aint in the whole state yet, but they have it in Columbia, MO.

Yes, it hurt most of the small bars. They are still fighting it. According to some of the bar owners their regulars (the ones they make the most $$$ from) no longer come in.

I would think that it has hit the cities pocket book also. Some of the bars have moved OUTSIDE the city limits. That's tax dollars gone.

We live 20 minutes north and 1 guy put his new bar here and buses people from Columbia.:eek:oooh:

9. 1sporticus

1sporticus Active Member

State:
    Iowa
    Well I should say I am a reformed smoker, going on 7 years in Sept. However I don't understand how the State can not only tax cigarettes, they make you buy a license so you can sell them also. Then when you get in a town and or county, they have they're own licenses also. Looks to me as if they are willing to sell a license, then they condone the selling and smoking of tobacco. While I believe that cancer is a bad thing I also believe in the freedom of choice. I'm so very tired of the government and the insurance companies making laws to protect me from myself. No matter how you cut it it all comes down to a money issue. What are they going to tax when everyone is forced to quit tobacco? Later Andy

10. 1sporticus

1sporticus Active Member

State:
    Iowa
    Oh yeah I forgot that our smoking ban starts July 1 2008
    Later Andy

11. germanmudfish

germanmudfish New Member

State:
    Gray, GA
    Got it here in GA. Basically, if you are a bar that serves food, you can have a smoking area. If you are a restaurant that serves alcohol, you can not have a smoking area. The idea here was to get it away from the kids. In Hawaii, you have to be over 25 feet from the door of any public place, including your hotel room.:angry::angry::angry:

12. Scott Daw

Scott Daw New Member

State:
    Allentown, Pennsylvania
    Im in PA. All I can say is I can breath easier. and choke less on others stupidity. Then again Im the black sheep in the family, everyone smokes but me. It reeks, costs to much, you gain anything by doing it, it'll kill you and the people around you. When I had the flu when I lived at home, it took me 3 weeks from start till the cough was gone. Now that Im in fresh air, I can shake the whole flu in 1.5 weeks or less & my clothes done stink no more unless I go shoot pool in a bar or out dancing then I have to contend with the smog again. I'd rather date a heffer then a hot chick that smokes. I tried once. I couldnt stand the smell when trying to get close and the taste when I kissed her. Theres nothing cool about smoking. Its just a stupid addiction that needs to be banned altogether, ihmo.

13. Scott Daw

Scott Daw New Member

State:
    Allentown, Pennsylvania
    Its not just protecting you from yourself but the people around you that have no choice in the matter when you light up and they're downwind of a smoker.

14. DANZIG

DANZIG New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    When they outlaw internal combustion engines I MIGHT buy that argument.

Till then it is just BS to discriminate against a legal activity.

15. CATFISHING1

CATFISHING1 New Member

State:
    MO.
    I agree 100%. :wink::cool2::big_smile:

16. CATFISHING1

CATFISHING1 New Member

State:
    MO.
    do you drink when you go shoot pool? if you do who drives home?

17. Scott Daw

Scott Daw New Member

State:
    Allentown, Pennsylvania
    I dont drink alcohol and it sometimes peeves people off because I play sober. I've had some that knew me as a regular refuse to play me with out me having something first. So they just didnt play at my table. My father was an alcoholic. I've seen what it does in excess so I wont touch the stuff at all. I dont have anything in my life to drown in a beer and I never needed it to spend the night with a lady. It's helped me win some money at the pool tables though, so I cant say alcohols completely bad. If Im with friends I am the designated driver. Alcohol isnt as bad as cigerettes because in most cases the person drinking is the only one that has to suffer for it. It is unfair though that in an accident it's the victim that doesnt get to walk away as often as the drunk driver. I also dont feel that a drunk drivers actions are involuntary when they hurt someone. they voluntarily put that drink to their mouth and swallowed. The repercussions of that action should be treated as such instead of well he wasnt in control .......... but I digress.

18. BailBonds

BailBonds New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Boy this is a hot subject! As far as I'm concerned laws should be for those that can't protect themselves. There shouldn't have to be a law saying you can't can't smoke in a car with a child in it. You shouldn't have to be told not to do it. You are risking the lives of your children and grand children. No, rolling the windows down doesn't work. As far a statewide bans that is BS. I think in all govt places it should be banned. You don't have a choice you have to go there.

As far as retail. offices, restaurants etc, they should be required to post a sign at the door with one of the following options. 1. This is a non-smoking establishment. 2. This is a smoking establishment that provides areas for non-smokers. OR 3. This is a smoking establishment. At that point if you are over 18 you can decide to enter or not. If you as a non-smoker enter a smoking establishment don't whine you made the choice. If a person owns a business they should have a say in this.

As far as stretching the use of the word discrimination that's nonsense. Would you consider it discrimination to ban people with Tuberculosis from being around you since it's a highly contagious airborne disease? Of course not you expect it since it kills about 1.5 million people worldwide yearly. Cigarette smoking kills only about 400,000 every year in the US alone each year. Which is only 1 in every 5 deaths. While it only kills about 5 million worldwide each year. But you feel you are being discriminated against?

Find better reasoning to justify your position!

I have a very good friend whose wife was and is a hardcore anti-abortion person which I am too! She smoked heavily before, during and after every one of all three of her pregnancies. It was common to see her with a smoke in her mouth while she breast fed her kids. Anyone else see a problem here? And yes all three of her kids are adults now and smoke.

She's right there with some of you and the "discrimination" claim.

Think about it.

19. Scott Daw

Scott Daw New Member

State:
    Allentown, Pennsylvania
    I also forgot to mention how when a smoker hasnt had his fix yet, your temper makes you act like your PMS'ing.