State stocked trout Vs. County trout

Discussion in 'KANSAS LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by delbert bumbleshoot, Oct 26, 2008.

1. delbert bumbleshoot

delbert bumbleshoot New Member

State:
    Overland Park,Kansas
    Tremendous difference in size in state stocked trout {pipecleaners] and county trout. Slow opening day we caught 3 trout and 3 bass in 5 hours. Two of the trout were over 3 pounds however.Compare those to the 5 fish limit from Lake Henry from last week.

Attached Files:

2. delbert bumbleshoot

State:
    Overland Park,Kansas
    17" bass and smaller trout....not very good pics sorry

Attached Files:

3. KC Jayhawk 78

KC Jayhawk 78 New Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    Nice trout Eric. I thought opening day was in Feb. I take it you were at SMP ? I didnt know they stocked trout again in Oct. I know Wy. does. Last Oct. at Wy. we had a hell of a time catching them. They were all schooled up in the coves spawning and didnt want to bite. In Feb and Mar we catch them real easy, but in Oct , they rarely bite, and if they do , its only powerbait. Makes me want to go to Wy. and see if they are biting. I know they stocked them this month, but Im not sure when. I might have to check it out Mon morning when I get off work. :wink:

4. delbert bumbleshoot

State:
    Overland Park,Kansas
    Keith it's tougher in the fall cuz Wyandotte doesn't stock in the fall...:sad2:never has.Pretty tough at Shawnee Mission I went Monday with my dad's friend and we only caught 1 trout and 1 wiper in 4 hours. We were all over the lake.They did some dredging and put in that flood control stuff and it has changed the structure of the lake. They wiped out my favorite bluegill spawning area by putting in erosion control matting. Might take a while to figure out a new pattern for the trout.The wind was upwards of 20 mph all weekend so it was difficult to troll or cast light lures.

5. KC Jayhawk 78

KC Jayhawk 78 New Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    Eric , they stocked them in Oct. last year. I know that for a fact. I watched them do it. It was early Oct. last year. I cant remember the exact date. I just got off the phone with the rangers station, and they said they didnt stock them this Oct, and that they wont be stocking them in Oct next year, and the year after. :sad2: Oh well, when they do it in Feb, thats what usually kicks off my fishing season. Its some of the funnest fishing I do. Last year I caught well over 70 trout total , in 4 weeks.

6. KC Jayhawk 78

KC Jayhawk 78 New Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    Troy dont waste your time with SMP if your bank fishing for them. Wy. Co. is expensive (30 for Wy. permit, 20 for the trout stamp) but its well worth it. Not hard to catch, lots of big ones, fight real hard, very fun. Opening day is in the last two weeks of Feb. , usually right after the ice melts off the lake. Sometimes it gets pushed to early March. Ill let you know when its time, or you can call the ranger station. Wy. offers some other good fishing also, so the money you spend for the permits is worth it. Good crappie fishing and good early spring catfishing.

7. KC Jayhawk 78

KC Jayhawk 78 New Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    Oh , yes you have to have a JO. Co. district permit in addition to the state license to fish SMP.

8. delbert bumbleshoot

State:
    Overland Park,Kansas
    I'd have to agree with Keith if I was bank fishing I'd go to Wyandotte.I only fish from a boat with lures about 90% of the time.If you're bank fishing a simple carolina rig with about 1/4 to 1/2 oz of weight and a small treble size 12-16.Power bait is what catches 90% of the bank fish now. Get 3 or 4 jars of different colors Rainbow,sherbert,captain america,pink lemonade and corn are good colors to start out with.The main reason I don't like to use it is you can't catch and release they usually swallow the hook.When I find a big school of them in the boat sometimes I can catch and release as many as 50 or 60 in a couple of hours.Favorite lures...Little cleos 1/8 to 1/4 in nickel/blue or red/gold, Roostertails up to 1/4oz, Panther Martins size 4 or 6 non-skirted,Kastmasters 1/12 to 1/4 oz.Good luck.....Eric:roll_eyes: