State Record

Discussion in 'LOCAL VIRGINIA TALK' started by smitty1963, Aug 6, 2008.

1. smitty1963

smitty1963 New Member

State:
    Virginia
    I was wondering if I would have a better chance at landing a record fish from the bank or from a boat??????

2. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    Well..... 1st you gotta hook it! It's all about being in the right place at the right time. Typically speaking though a boat will get you to different spots quicker, especially since the James is a Tidal river.

3. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    I am going to go with a boat. It provides more opportunities to find the "perfect" hole. I do believe that a good percentage of record fish have been caught from the bank however

4. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    I would go with the boat. Location is very important. Study the species of fish your after and pick the right area. The boat gives you a lot of flexibility.

5. PHLIPS4BIGKATS

PHLIPS4BIGKATS New Member

State:
    Alma Kansas
    The guy had the previous world record blue cat was caught from the bank and current was caught from a boat! So I would say you have a 50/50 chance no matter what you choose.:0a32::0a32::0a23::smile2::smile2:

6. stoney53

stoney53 Well-Known Member

State:
    PA
    thats what i'm thinking 50/50 chance

7. DH84

DH84 New Member

State:
    Eastern NC
    right place, right time... thats all that matters..

fish dont know if your in a boat or not, or what kind of boat... or even how much it cost!

lol, we landed a 78 lb cobia one year in the inlet in a 1965 14' aluminum vee-hull.. spray painted camo! drew up quite a crowd after a 1.5 hour fight.. guess thats what keeps us goin back, that one trip in a hundred...

8. 66TBONE

66TBONE New Member

State:
    Virginia
    I gotta go with the boat.I have fished the James river since i was a kid from the bank. Lots of nice fish, but now the last couple of years, I have been out there in my boat and what a difference! I have caught my 2 pb within the last year,32lbs and 41lbs!!! Looking forward to breaking the big 50 mark! Good luck and fish on bro!!!:big_smile:

9. jeremiad

jeremiad Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    I have been only slightly more successful in a boat than on the bank. Interestingly, all of my catches from the boat could have been reached by a cast from the shore, but rarely has that shoreline been accessible by foot.

As accessible and permissible shoreline fishing access disappears, greater concentrations of anglers are populating the remaining land that is open.

I think that the boat gets you away from other fishermen more than to the fish! :wink:

10. fishnvince

fishnvince New Member

State:
    na
    Boy,, if it was that easy to say, I'd have to go with someone, at some time will catch the next record. Just like someone will always win the lottery sooner or later. The only fact I know to be true is you got to get out and play to have a chance. There are things you can do that will increase your chances. but there will be no guarantee attached to the end of that one. Good luck to everyone, and may someone soon get the grand privledge of holding that record catch.

11. WHEELMOBILE07

WHEELMOBILE07 New Member

State:
    Martinsville, Virginia
    I'd say a boat because i find that the fish are easier to land in a boat. Ill never quit my bank fishing though.

Wheelmobile07