Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Although I did not know it at the time, I caught what would have been state record asian carp this afternoon on the ohio. It weighed right at 57 lbs. The current record is 53. Oh yeah, I caught it on a sabiki rig fishing for skipjack. It took about 25 minutes to boat the nasty monster. Then I thought the thing was going to rip the boat apart. They are mean beasts. Unfortunately, a record never entered my mind until we had thrown him back. Nor did we manage to take any pics :crying: Oh well, we let him lay in the bottom of the boat for a while. Hopefully, it will die. I really don't want that monster laying any more eggs!!

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Not sure. We tore up his gills pretty good. Probably not though. :Mad:they are pretty resilient. I just didn't want a blood bath in the boat. He was already bleeding pretty good.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That's what I thought Paul. Best I can figure is that he was just feeding and sucked the sabiki fly in by accident. the fly was caught square in the side of his lip. I can't tell you how big of a fight he put up, especially on my lightweight skippy rod!! It was a lot of fun. I would gain two or three reels on him then he would take 25 feet of drag. I honestly thought the sabiki hook would straighten out before we got him into the boat.

·
Registered
6,124 Posts
That's what I thought Paul. Best I can figure is that he was just feeding and sucked the sabiki fly in by accident. the fly was caught square in the side of his lip. I can't tell you how big of a fight he put up, especially on my lightweight skippy rod!! It was a lot of fun. I would gain two or three reels on him then he would take 25 feet of drag. I honestly thought the sabiki hook would straighten out before we got him into the boat.
Man that's a helluva feat to land that thing on such lite tackle like that.... That in itself is probably some kind of world record! lol

·
Registered
57 Posts
It was a bighead the silvers don't get that big . I heard that state of Illinois conservation officers are writing tickets to people if they see you throw them back alive so CUT THERE GUTS OUR DO WHAT I DO, TWO GOOD SOLID BLOWS TO THE HEAD WITH A T-BALL BAT!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.