State record verification

Discussion in 'LOCAL KANSAS TALK' started by unclebuncle, Apr 2, 2009.

1. unclebuncle

unclebuncle New Member

State:
    Humboldt,K
    Does anyone know the proper procedure for getting a fish certified for a state record.Is there a hotline you can call?Will fish and game come to where you are? If you have to take the fish to town to weigh it its going to die.I doubt if I have a chance at flathead but I fish one place that could have state record channel and I would hate to waste a fish like that.It would be nice to be prepared just in case.:confused2:

2. ks-limb-liner

ks-limb-liner New Member

State:
    Wichita, Kansas
    From what I understand they have "Certified Scales" they want you to use though out the state, (in Kansas anyway). however Ive know clue where those are.

3. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS

The hard part is that you may have to wait some time for a KDWP agent, and you may be on your own to locate a certified scale. Kansas certifies scales for commerce for places like grocery stores, meat lockers, grain mills, metal recyclers, some hardware stores, etc.... you have to find one that is willing and able to weigh a fish of this size.

4. Dsage

Dsage Active Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas
    From what I understand is that it must be weighted on a Certified scale and must have a Warden present to watch the weight. They also take info such as location caught, method, Bait, when taken also on the scale they must have provide the inspection number that is given to them from the state for legal trade service.

This is what I recall. Not that I have it memorized just incase or anything.:wink::smile2:

And locations for weight think places like super markets, junk yards, scrape dealers, some gas stations and coops locations.

5. unclebuncle

unclebuncle New Member

State:
    Humboldt,K
    So I guess a state record dies.

6. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    In practice they probably do most of the time. I've got a big stock tank and aeration system that would keep a fish that size alive, my first call would be to a couple of friends to bring it to me, in the meantime I would tie the fish off in good water and wait.

7. Dsage

Dsage Active Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas
    It does not have to. Its just a matter of knowing the location and knowing the stores in that area that has the scales. There are many ways in keeping a moster alive till the time of being on the scale. I have a huge duck decoy bag that would hold a fish up to around 5 plus ft long. put them in something like that till they the GW shows up. I also have a phone book in the truck for numbers to call for scales. Be calling for locations when you wait on the GW to show. Best bet would be get in good with the owner of a grocery store in the area so they would weight it for you. Let them know it is a 2 way street. If it does break the record you will make the paper, TV, and radio. So there is some free ads for them. Just mention the place that weighted it for you several times.:wink:

8. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    Catfishscotty's Missouri record flathead lost 4-6lbs before it was officially weighed: http://www.catfish1.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1409627&postcount=16 I'd say if your fish doesn't beat the existing record by at least 2lbs or so you might as well let it go to grow a little. You can still brag about it, even if it's not official.

Someone here was looking into getting their own scale certified a couple of years back. I'm not sure the outcome, but it would sure be a lot easier on the fish if you could weigh it right there on the water. One reason a lot of record fish die is that most people have no idea of the process and have not thought out any kind of a plan for taking care of the fish through that process. Area BOC members are a great possible resource, if somebody called me for help I'd bring my stock tank and do everything I could to help keep the fish alive and healthy through the process.

9. unclebuncle

unclebuncle New Member

State:
    Humboldt,K
    I think the KDWP should buy certified scales for all their game wardens.

10. delbert bumbleshoot

delbert bumbleshoot New Member

State:
    Overland Park,Kansas
    Several years ago I caught a 49" grass carp at Shawnee Mission Lake while chumming for channel cats. After 25 minutes subdueing the beast we weighed it on my digital 50 lb scale it blinked and would not read.But it weighed the anchor at exactly 12 lbs so there was nothing wrong with the scale.But the fish was over 50 lbs.So we called the game warden but had a hell of a time finding a certified scale in johnson county in the middle of the night. I went to several grocery stores but they didn't want that nasty old thing in their store.3 and 1/2 hours of driving around and we finally found a scale. It weighed 52 lb 1 oz the record at the time was 52lb 4 oz. But the fisheries biologist said it could have lost up to 2 lbs in the 4 hours it was out of the water.The record has been broken twice since then but it would have been cool to hold the record for any fish for a while.No digital pics but I've got some regular ones.

11. Dsage

Dsage Active Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas
    You would think that. I did ask a GW last year why that was not the case and I was told that they hardly ever get the calls for a possible record so the scale would just sit and collect dust. I told him better collecting dust than having a dead fish on your hands. :wink: FYI last I knew the bait shop on 24 highway had C. scales if you are in the Topeka area. Don't worry about your fishing being to big either he has 2 sets. Tom can correct me if I'm worng but I thought the owner told me that they were C. Scales.

12. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    That would be nice, there are something like 105 counties, some have multiple agents, so maybe 150 scales? Recertification every year by the department of agriculture http://www.ksda.gov/weights_measures/content/214 All for maybe a couple of record fish per year, on average.

It would be nice, but I'm not holding my breath.

13. Grimpuppy

Grimpuppy New Member

State:
    Concordia, KS
    Most people don't intend to release big fish anyway, so they don't really care if it dies.

14. unclebuncle

unclebuncle New Member

State:
    Humboldt,K
    I think if I catch one I'll take pictures and let it go because I cant think of way to keep it alive.I dont have anything against keeping fish but I catch lots of them under 10 lbs and they're better eating.I'm almost certain I had the state record bass up to the bank a few years ago and was only 1/2 mile from KDWP office at Pittsburg.He came up and swallowed a huge bluegill that I was reeling in and I let him go so he would get it down .I fought him right up to bank and was reaching for him when he spit bluegill out.I made a grab but he got away.I've seen a lot of 15 or bigger bass when I was in Florida and he was that size.

15. n2fishn

n2fishn New Member

State:
    Topeka,Kan
    Dan I'm not really sure but I will find out.

16. Dsage

Dsage Active Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas

Thank you I thought Don said they were but I'm not 100% sure. We did a lot of taking that day.:smile2:

17. KC Jayhawk 78

KC Jayhawk 78 New Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    Ill remember you said that Gary. :big_smile: You may get a call at 3 am from Shelby or I , begging you to grab the tank and aerators and head 2 hrs southwest. :wink:

18. n2fishn

n2fishn New Member

State:
    Topeka,Kan
    I Believe Keith is on a mission this year to break a state record.And i think he might just do it...Good luck Buddy!

And call Gary when you do:roll_eyes:He will be there I'm sure of that,..

Thx Gary..heck I might even call for your help:tounge_out:

19. unclebuncle

unclebuncle New Member

State:
    Humboldt,K
    Yeah me too I need a phone number.

20. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    Just tell me you got rid of that scale you had last year before I make the trip :smile2: