State record sized flathead catfish, do they live everywhere?

Discussion in 'LOCAL OHIO TALK' started by flathunter, Apr 11, 2009.

1. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    There have been lots of post on here about where the next state record flathead will come from.

I will take that a step farther.

I am a firm believer that the next state record swims in many of our rivers or lakes.

I am not talking the ohio river.

But I belive any of our major inland rivers, including the, Muskingum, Scioto, Maumee, probably has a flathead that size swimming there right now.

I also belive many of the bigger lakes in the state, including ALL the MWCD lakes has fish of that size right now.

I think it's gonna take a bit of luck, and a lot of skill to find the fish, because to survive for that long it has to have some extra smarts, and to be very wary of any thing that does not seem right.

Your thoughts? Is the next state record swimming in many of our waters?

2. x smokin joe

x smokin joe Well-Known Member

State:
    Monclova,
    Name:
    Joe
    Maybe the rest of the state, we all know there are no flats in the Maumee. :wink: :smile2:
    Ya it is definately swimming out there somewhere.

3. Joey6500

Joey6500 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I got a feeling the next state record will be one of those chubby MWCD flatheads

4. varmint_sniper

varmint_sniper New Member

State:
    OHIO
    ........... iam with joey on this 1 ive seen some huge cats caught outta the mwcd lakes and i beleve there in there,..... last yr i seen a 74lb8oz Flattie pulled outta tappan lake at a tourney night

5. adamj

adamj New Member

State:
    buckeye land
    I think flathead around 15-20lbs heavier than the largest reported fish from any river or lake are possible. MWCD lakes could probably give up a 85 or so. The southern/central rivers that are tributaries of the ohio could give up 80+ for sure. The maumee might give up 65+, our growing season isn't as long as it is down south. Michigan rivers that have flats might give up a 55+. None of this includes the freak factor which would be like 30+lbs heavier than the state record, so who knows.

6. jason berry

jason berry New Member

State:
    Evansville
    I am a firm believer also in what your saying. I would say most large reservoirs or river systems have state records and possibly world records. I think these fished are hooked occasionally but the people dont have the set ups to get them in.

7. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    The state record fish is down there. Just no one in Ohio uses is 18 inch bass, 2 foot suckers, or 5lb carp!

Big fish needs big baits!

Give it a try!

8. x smokin joe

x smokin joe Well-Known Member

State:
    Monclova,
    Name:
    Joe
    Wanna bet, I have even been known to put a 5 lb channel on a hook and using it.

9. Catfish-fever

Catfish-fever New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I think there may even be a record catfish living in a small creek channel that never sees a fisherman. Say like a soft bottom spot in Twin Creek. When water is up, a cat finds its way up the creek and find a comfortable spot... all the food he can eat and no competition to eat.