State Record Flathead

Discussion in 'LOCAL OHIO TALK' started by USE TO BE, May 12, 2009.

1. USE TO BE

USE TO BE New Member

State:
    Ohio
    How often do you think state record sized Flatheads are caught and not turned in to be certified? You would pretty near have to kill the fish according to the state record application. The reason I ask is I heard a guy talking at Piedmont over the weekend boasting of all the state record Flatheads him an his dad have caught out of that lake. He said he broke the state record on 4 consecutive nights once. He mentioned that either him or his dad caught a 110 pounder one night. I guess it is possible, but I stopped listening because thought it was a load of crap. I was listening to a conversation this guy was having with my brother in law. My brother in law said the guy told him his dad held the state record for a long time. I them told my brother in law the the record has been in place since 79. Anyone know who and what the record was before the 79 Flathead?

2. neocats

neocats New Member

State:
    Steubenvil
    Not something you hear every day. The majority of us would get it ckecked in as a record. And yes, they are there, but I don't think they are caught that often.

3. Garrett Cope

Garrett Cope New Member

State:
    Columbus Ohio
    I think your instinct is right regarding the 110 lber. Sounds like a load of crap to me too.

4. Bomberman

Bomberman New Member

State:
    Spring Run, PA
    The best way to end that conversation would be: "Got any pictures?" In this day of digital cameras as small as a credit card and almost every cell phone having a camera on it, it only seems natural that if you catch a large fish you want a picture of it. I know I carry a camera with me just in case I catch a very large specimen of anything...that's just part of my fishing gear.

And while digital pictures can be altered, showing more than one angle of the same fish usually is much more difficult to change to make it convincing.

If he's catching that many large fish, I would ask to see the pics.

Tight lines.

5. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Dock talk is just that....TALK!! :eek:oooh:

Every lake has someone who catches "bigger ones than that" all the time. They never have pictures, and you can never get them to show up for a tournament where they could make money.

The common excuse is, "I don't like to brag", or, "I want to keep it a secret." To which I always respond, "then why are you telling me?!?!?!" :smile2:

6. BG CAT

BG CAT New Member

State:
    Westerville OH
    I agree with all of you. I like the term "I'm from Missouri, the show me state" I would need to see some pictures. I would have to weigh the fish in for the record myself.

7. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    Agreed! Catching a behemoth is cool, but getting your name in the record book is even better. The "I don't have a pic or camera" harky-malarky doesn't fly either. It's 2009, most cell phones even have camera on them these days.

Don't ever believe a fisherman until you are proof positive!:big_smile::cool2:

8. boedict

boedict New Member

State:
    south carolina
    I must agree with all of you myself. I live in south carolina and our record flat is 79.4 and we take our big cats serious.so I dont think anyone is lettn a big one go without gettn it checked for the record:eek:oooh:

9. Boomer

Boomer New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    When I was about 10 years old my uncle caught a 105 lb flat head on a trotline, it was only weighed at the local grocery store. (back in those days you caught a fish you ate it), my Dad showed me a picture of a 52 lb channel cat he had caught out of the same river and again it was weighed on bathroom scales. I told my Dad he had probably caught the record channel for Oklahoma, his reponse, "Tasted like a record to". I knew an old man, who fished the river and about every 2-3 weeks, he would bring in the 86 lb Flathead, weigh it and go back down to the river and release it. I was in the bait store, when he brought it in, and the guy from the bait store said, "You want to see if he has gain any weight since last Month? My brother in law ate a Kansas crappie record fish, he took it to the bait store and weight it in at 5 lbs 4 oz, the guy at the bait store told him it was not a record :eek:oooh:

Some people just arent into record fish. Me I could careless, I like to catch the big ones, get a photo, and back into the water!

10. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    I think in the day and age of digital cameras and cell phones at least a pic.
    If I caught one big enough to brag about you can bet I'll have some pics to back up the story. I think someones chain was being jerked.

11. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I think I would have told him right to his face that he was full of Shite. And then asked him to prove it and if he couldn't.....I would have told him to get the he!! away from me. Well maybe I wouldn't have done that to the guy.....but I think he's about a half a bubble off plumb!:smile2:

12. adamj

adamj New Member

State:
    buckeye land
    Some people's 110 pounders are like 40 or 50 something in the real world.:wink:

13. rcbbracing

rcbbracing New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I totally agree where some ppls 40 or 50 is 110....I mean catching a 40lber on the right water isnt unheard of and by human nature you exagerate some....how would they weigh something like that anyway...My scale i carry only goes to 50lbs....who carries a scale expecting to catch a state record fish lol....anyway i bet they prolly caught a bigun or two but probably WAY overestimated on the weight!

14. goldfish33

goldfish33 New Member

State:
    ohio cincy area
    i always guess the weight of the fish that grace the boat or bank with me,then i weigh them. never the same ,sometimes not even close.i had to purchase heavier scales for the boat as the blues on the ohio would sometimes peg the 50lb one.i think that the bigger the fish the harder it is to guessimate their weight.

while fishing a local public hotspot the usual banter about the 30/40 lber that was caught a few days ago always surfaces.a guy caught a flat that i estimated at maybe 20 lbs but he swore that it weighed 30.i broke out the scale and weighed it, 22lbs few ounces.he claimed very verbally that the scales were wrong.so i broke out the heavy scales,same weight.2 sets of scales same weight within a few ounces.

unless i know the person or see the fish weighed its all banter to me.

if i caught a state record flat/blue i would probably check it in.

15. rasmotherman

rasmotherman New Member

State:
    salineville, ohio
    if i caught a 110#er id kick the wife out to the couch and me in the flattie would be laying in bed deciding who to sell our "miracle bait" to. :wink:

16. St.Croix_2010

St.Croix_2010 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I would just take a few pictures and realease him..

17. x smokin joe

x smokin joe Well-Known Member

State:
    Monclova,
    Name:
    Joe
    I know quite a few guys that carry 100 pound scales, and a few that have weight conversion charts in their phones for measuring length and girth.

18. Bomberman

Bomberman New Member

State:
    Spring Run, PA
    I do! The Maryland state record Blue is 67 lbs...I've caught them up to 40 lbs and have lost bigger fish...I feel the record is within my reach every time I go out. I carry a 100lb scale just in case. You gotta be prepared. :big_smile: