state laws on catfish on the mo river

Discussion in 'NEBRASKA RIVERS TALK' started by camochris2, Jul 29, 2009.

1. camochris2

camochris2 New Member

State:
    nebraska city nebraska
    i was just woundering what every ones thoughts where on this should there be better size limits and better laws about how many you can keep.
    i think anything over about 25inch should be put back and you should only be able to keep 1 blue 5 flathead and 5 chanels just my thoughts noy try to start a fight just something new to talk about thanks all chris :big_smile:

2. camochris2

camochris2 New Member

State:
    nebraska city nebraska
    iet me say that agine all fish on the limit sould be less thene 25 inch

3. bownero

bownero New Member

State:
    Hastings, Ne.
    I agree 100%!! I believe there should be length restrictions, especially on the flatheads and blues!! Channels are prevelent in most of the lakes and rivers in Nebraska, meaning the population isn't suffering much. I would still like seeing the bag limit at only 5 or 6, on the channels too!! Agreed on the length to be around the 25" range too! Makes sense!!

Understand your talking about the Missouri River, but I would like this to be a statewide law!

Last edited: Jul 29, 2009
  4. jrgriffhusker

jrgriffhusker New Member

State:
    Minden, Nebrask
    I agree to a point on the length limits. Because anything over 25 to 30 inches I won't keep and clean. Just a question tho, what if you catch the world record? I know the last two that were caught are on display.
    On the bag limit I think it should be 10 in bag and 30 in possesion ( or however it's spelled)on channels that is. I think maybe on the blues and flatheads it should be 5 bag and 15 poss. But of course once they are cleaned you can't really tell which is which. So that is my thoughts I hope it deepens the discussion.
    Good thread Chris.

5. camochris2

camochris2 New Member

State:
    nebraska city nebraska
    thanks guys so what do you think about the laws on bank lines and how many hooks u can have one one and the rods one pearson can have

6. camochris2

camochris2 New Member

State:
    nebraska city nebraska
    i would like to see it state wide my self i think it would help with the catfish in the state of nebraska so anyone have anything thing ealse to talk about on this lets keep this going i think is something we all should talk about lets just be nice about it all:big_smile:

7. jrgriffhusker

jrgriffhusker New Member

State:
    Minden, Nebrask
    Well on that one you won't be able to swing my vote. I'm a river rat from begining to end. I've been set line fishing since I was 6 yrs old. My question to you Chris is have you ever set line fished before? You know the old saying don't knock it til you try it. It takes a lot more physical work than R&R and I won't say it's as much fun as reeling in a big one. But with that being said I've learned a lot about where fish hang and hunt, when they feed and so on just because I can cover more area and I check my gear every hour on the hour. That is if I don't pass out. But I NEVER leave my gear behind. I always retrieve my gear before I leave, and if it's raining and feels like the river is rising I pull my gear and fish another day. I don't want anyone or anything to be harmed by my set lines. The law says I'm allowed 50 hooks if I'm running lines but I haven't ran that many since I was a kid fishing with my dad, brother, and our friends. And even with that many we still got all our gear out. I know other people object to them because I've heard of people that commercial fish this way. And to that I say BULLS!!T I fish for personal fun. Nobody eats what I catch except me and my family. So don't think less of me because I do it, and if you haven't done it I encourage you to come down to Beatrice the last weekend of August and try it.

8. jrgriffhusker

jrgriffhusker New Member

State:
    Minden, Nebrask
    I really don't see where set line fishing is hurting the fish population. I haven't even heard anyone else from NE that does it. I believe it the trash people leave behind that is hurting the fishing and the hunting. I'm not being a jerk either. I'm just putting my two cents in. If I ever see anyone using set lines for commercial reasons I will personally cut their lines. As well as if I see anyone pouching deer or hunting out of season I will turn them in too. All my lines are marked as stated by law so that way if someone wants to question me they can. And that includes the game and parks. Oh and I think our law should be upped to 3 poles a person. Forgot to throw that in.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2009
  9. flathead_hunter

flathead_hunter Well-Known Member

State:
    nebraska city
    There should be a slot. I'm not sure of nebrska laws on waleye but in minnesota they got one can't remember what it was like 18-24 inch gotta go back. When you clean them you have to leave a 1x1 square inch of scales on it so they can tell what it is if you get checked. Its a good idea on aall fish that get big. As far as bank lines I'm not aginst them but the people that run lines and nets here been doin it for at least 50 yrs but I know there lines bright orange and 99% of the time up river check there stuff 2 times a day. I haave pulled lines up not mine get snaged one them or somthing and found dead fish on them. Cheap package of like # 2 snelled eage claw hooks and maybe a 1 oz weight I don't like that. Liners should use circle hooks just so fish don't die

10. bownero

bownero New Member

State:
    Hastings, Ne.
    Slot limits on Catfish? Well to me that probably isn't the best idea, because your bigger cats will produce the most eggs. I still believe in length restrictions and the larger fish to be released. CPR for fact!! To bad we can't educate more people on sex identification on catfish, especially during the spawning season, so the females can be released to lay their eggs. I know that's asking to much, but it will help the motality rate. I would defienently like to see the possession lowered on catfish, but for right now I don't really see it hurting the population at all. I see the catfish being underrated and more people targeting the walleye and white bass in the areas I fish. The catfish are consider more of a bonus fish. Anyhow, that's what I witness around the lakes I fish. Maybe different in most of the rivers.

Yeah! Chris this is an interesting thread and can use some attention from our readers. Knowing the Catfish ranks as the 1# fish in the State. I still see the Channel prevailing over the years, because of population is high in our lakes. Still though I would like tighter restrictions on the Catfish, to help the conservation on them. They deserve the attention!!

Thanks.

11. fmb

fmb New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    I'm way out of left field with this one.....I hate cleaning small fish anything under 4 or 5 pounds is just a waste of time...it's easier cleaning a 8 to 10 pounder...and with all the cpr guys...get real!!!!! if you saw your trophy buck are you gonna let him go with just a picture???? hahhahahahahhahaahaha yea right.....I lose enuff big fish that the ones I reel in are staying with me...I think catfishing is a level playing field with the catfish always winning....

12. Dkaup

Dkaup New Member

State:
    Columbus,nebraska

50 hooks?'
    i think you better get a book cause i've never read anything about haveing 50 hooks. you let me know where you find that

13. fmb

fmb New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    I thought is was 15 hooks per line with a 3 line limit....45 hooks total???

I could be making this up tho...I never really check because I don't throw out that many

14. Dkaup

Dkaup New Member

State:
    Columbus,nebraska
    Rivers or Streams: ​
    A total of 15
    hooks are allowed, ranging from 15 lines
    each with a single hook attached, to
    three lines with a maximum of five hooks
    attached. Anglers must be at least onehalf
    mile from any lake, pond or reservoir
    that is associated with a river or stream.
    These can be rods and reels, poles,
    bank lines, or set lines that in some way
    are attached to the bank and not freefloating.
    Float lines are illegal and
    defined as any line not attached to the
    shoreline or a pole. All bank lines and
    setlines must contain identification, to
    include the angler’s name, address and
    fishing-permit number or driver’s license
    number. Note: Upon completion of
    fishing, all bank lines and set lines must

be removed.

15. fmb

fmb New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    well hey I had some of the numbers right:smile2: I only throw out 1 line with 3 hooks on it...but anymore I fish enuff to keep the freezer full...

16. bownero

bownero New Member

State:
    Hastings, Ne.
    Straight out of NGPC

Yeah!! I'm thinking some of us can use a refresher course on the laws and regulations on fishing!! I believe we can all benefit from reading the book. Heck!! It will save us a fine. Granted the Game Wardens make an appearance!! Which by the is, when you least expect it!! I will tell you that I stay within the laws. I don't care about keeeping every damn fish I catch. Which usually means that you have a freezer full of fish, not getting eaten and then thrown out, because it gets rancid. Power to ya, if you eat them all!!:wink:

17. bownero

bownero New Member

State:
    Hastings, Ne.
    Really?:0a10::0a19:Here's a little info for ya, granted you are referring to yourself using rod and reel!!

Ponds, Lakes or Reservoirs:​
    Anglers are limited to no more than two
    lines, with a maximum of two hooks on
    each line, with these being any type of
    attached line (rod and reel or fishing
    pole) on all lakes, ponds or reservoirs
    or in their inlets, outlets and canals
    within one-half mile of these bodies of
    water, with the exception of ice-fishing​
    line limits.

18. fmb

fmb New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    I throw out 1 set line...as that's what we are talking about...dumbass:smile2:

19. jrgriffhusker

jrgriffhusker New Member

State:
    Minden, Nebrask
    You're right on that I was going out on a limb on the numbers. Good thing I don't hardly even use 15 because that's a lot of walking, and I think I even mentioned something on that too. Anyways that being said thanks for setting me straight.

20. jrgriffhusker

jrgriffhusker New Member

State:
    Minden, Nebrask
    Now Frank no name calling. Mark is a good people and he mentioned if you were using a rod and reel. I agree with him we need to obey the laws because the fines can get costly in a hurry. I've gotten a ticket because I didn't pay attetion to the signs when I drove into Olive Creek south of Lincoln. I do have 3 or 4 books and usually read something new in them everyday, I try to memorize it. I was way off when I said 50 hooks but if I have 4 people with me that's 60 hooks and I have three kids so I guess I'd be within legal limits now wouldn't I? But like I said in my last post there is no way I'm putting out that many I like to enjoy myself fishing not wear my a** out. Anyways talk to you all later.