State Creel Limits

Discussion in 'LOCAL ILLINOIS TALK' started by MoHunt, Jan 6, 2010.

1. MoHunt

MoHunt Member

State:
    Missouri
    Was looking online at the Illinois rules and regs for fishing creel limits, the website lists channel cats as no limit, but I couldn't find any creel limits for blues and flatheads. I know you guys got em...has the state just not recognized em yet? I'm aware that once back in MO that I'm subject to our state's possession limits, even if caught in Illinois.

Since we're enjoying the height of global warming here in MO-MO land, might have to hit one of yer power generating lakes before I go crazy. All I can do now is sort my fishing gear, again and again, buy stuff both here and at Cabela's and beat the dog and the wife.

2. MoHunt

MoHunt Member

State:
    Missouri
    Soooooo, what is the daily limit for blues and flatheads in Illinois?

3. bwhupp

bwhupp New Member

State:
    Belleville
    Water of body dependent. No general blanket rule. Most catfish are free game and as much as you want to my knowledge. There isn't a size limit or anything.

4. MoHunt

MoHunt Member

State:
    Missouri
    Thank ya sir.

Been reading bout Baldwin, Cofeen and some others and seems the limits specific to those lakes are bass, whites, stripers and crappie. I've fished em before, but bag limits change.

Just found it odd that Illinois DNR would mention channell cat, but nothing bout the other two.

5. bwhupp

bwhupp New Member

State:
    Belleville
    Baldwin you will find mainly blues in my experience. I have fished the hell out of that place. Love it. It is my most favorite lake by far to fish. It is a catfish haven for sure.

6. big-muddy

big-muddy New Member

State:
    norfolk, va
    the majority of illinois public water has no real limits for catfish. some places have there own 6 fish or whatever limit.

7. crappieclint

crappieclint New Member

State:
    Rend lake, IL
    No sort of catfish limit here at Rend Lake. Well I guess you may be limited by how much bait you brought or the size of your livewell. LOL I have never heard of a state wide possession limit. In IL each lake is site specific.

8. MoHunt

MoHunt Member

State:
    Missouri
    Missouri considers catfish a game fish & has a possession limit of twice the daily limit of 5 blues, 5 flathead & 10 channel. A few specific limits, mostly below dams. On the Miss R it's 20 daily/possession of blues and channel in the aggregate with 10 flatheads. Your neighboring state of Indiana has a limit of 10 total for blues, flats and channels, with a few 'no limit' lake exceptions. Iowa has limits, Kansas limits ya to 10 blues & channels combines, 5 flatheads; again with some area specifics.
    Illinois is one of the few states without a statewide daily/possession limit. No wonder ya like it so well!

9. vegasryder

vegasryder New Member

State:
    illinois
    Our group is working on trying to put some sort of reg on Flatheads. We`ve been collecting data for roughly 2 yrs on the Fox River and have been handing the info to the Illinois fishing bilogists. We had the pleasure of working with them last year in tagging Flatheads on our hometown river. Hopefully we will have some sort of reg put in place in the near future. The Flatheads on the Rock took a major hit last year and if we dont do anything about it, the throphy Flathead fishery there will be lost.

10. Chicago

Chicago New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Mo,

I think you should error on the side of safety and release everything you catch in the great state of IL!!!! After all, why risk the fines? lol. Plus I would hate to have to come down there and catch dozens of cats to replenish the lakes/rivers here!

Just kiddin' man . . . but seriously, don't keep any.

11. steveturner024

steveturner024 Active Member

State:
    Illinois
    Name:
    Steve Turner
    If you fish the Mississippi River between MO and IL here are the catfish creel limits.
    Mississippi River (between IL & MO)
    Illinois waters (Multiple Counties)
    All fishermen shall conform with the regulations of the state in which
    they are fishing unless the regulations of the fishermen’s licensing
    state are more restrictive, then the fishermen must conform with the

more restrictive regulations.

Channel or Blue Catfish (14) . . . 20 Fish Daily Creel Limit
    Flathead Catfish . . . . . . . . . . . . . 10 Fish Daily Creel Limit

All Nongame Species Combined — 100 Fish Daily Creel Limit
    (Excludes endangered and threatened species and the following
    game species: Crappie, Channel/Blue/Flathead Catfish, Rock
    Bass, Warmouth, White/Yellow/Striped/Hybrid Striped Bass, Trout,
    Largemouth/Smallmouth/Spotted Bass, Muskellunge,Northern
    Pike, Chain/Grass Pickeral, Walleye, Sauger, Paddlefish.)

14) Daily catch limit includes all fish species (either singly or in the
    aggregate) caught within each of the following fish groupings.
    1) Largemouth or Smallmouth Bass
    2) Walleye, Sauger, or their hybrid
    3) Bluegill, Redear Sunfish, or Pumpkinseed
    4) Channel or Blue Catfish

12. Catfish_Calvin

Catfish_Calvin New Member

State:
    Nauvoo, Il

Mohunt. Iowa doesnt have a limit on catfish on the Mississippi river. From Lock and dam 19 all the way up to Minnesota. Although, they should.

13. Shawn

Shawn New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Right now, we're in a wait-and-see situation in IL. We haven't collected regular creel surveys for some time as I understand, so until there's documentation of significant harvest we're unlikely to see any statewide regulations.

In the past (more than 15-20 years ago) , there was little info about the population of fish. Presently, the standard DNR position has been naturally reproducing populations don't need protection. Except where required based on agreements between neighboring states, only site specific limits apply (typically where a stocked catfish population exists - "put and take" catfisheries).

I think many recreational anglers would like to see some statewide restrictions on harvest, at least of flatheads, and possible other cats based on size. But, we probably won't get any traction with ILDNR on this until there's more data to support the necessity of this. Don't forget, enforecement is a huge issue as far as their being a shortage of officers who could write people up anyhow. So in essence we're on the honor system at the present time.

Shawn