Starve Hollow

Discussion in 'INDIANA LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by gargoil77, Jan 30, 2006.

1. gargoil77

gargoil77 New Member

State:
    Clarksville, Indiana
    Has anyone ever fished Starve Hollow near Vallonia? Got a tournament there and was wondering if anyone can give me some insight on where the cats are.

2. mr channel

mr channel New Member

State:
    sharpsville/kokomo Indiana
    sorry i dont have any info dont even know were that is,,,good lucvk tho

3. bigcatkev

bigcatkev New Member

State:
    indiana
    It depends on what time of year your fishing there. I've only fished it a couple of times but in the summer most people catch them around the dam and on any kind of flat at night.

4. gargoil77

gargoil77 New Member

State:
    Clarksville, Indiana
    I think we are going to be fishing it in May. Last year we fished it on Thunder Over Louisville (two weeks before derby) and we got skunked. It was miserable that night. It rained, sleeted, hailed and started to snow. it was my first time on the lake and didn't know anything about it.

5. Ohio_River_Rat

Ohio_River_Rat New Member

State:
    Charlestown, Indiana
    Never heard of the place but good luck

6. G3Morton

G3Morton New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I hope your cat tounament ain't none to soon. I was there back about a month or less and the lake was drained way down and you couldn't even get a boat off the trailer. You may want to call the park office before going.

7. gargoil77

gargoil77 New Member

State:
    Clarksville, Indiana
    The tourney is in April. I wonder why the lake was way down. Have any idea why? Thanks for the heads up.

8. G3Morton

G3Morton New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I don't know if you have ever been there before but this is a pretty small lake. And alot of it had lilly pads real bad, and it also had alot of some kind of green moss like slime that was on top of the water. This lake is for electric motors only and I heard that some folks was having a hard time getting around the lake due to the lilly's and moss.

If I get up there before April I will give you some more details. But I would say they will have it back up before then.

9. gargoil77

gargoil77 New Member

State:
    Clarksville, Indiana
    I've been there a couple of times G3. Just found out the tourney isn't until late May. Hopefully the lake will be back up. Hopefully when I get my life back on track, I'll be fishing there before the tourney.

10. G3Morton

G3Morton New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I was talking with a guy I work with tonight and he said he found out why the lake was drained down so low...................

He said that he was told that there is so many shad in the lake that the Eagles that are around there was eating to many of them and was getting so sick that they found three of them just walking around and not able to fly. They caught two of them and the biggest one was able to get away from them.

This sounds like a pretty wild story, but I believe it may be true. This past duck season when I was there, there was dead shad laying all over the place where the water had went down.

And there is a what I call a bird hospital at Hardy lake that is near my home that was able to take care of two new eagles a few weeks ago, and I seen in the paper where they just released them.

So I guess the catfish are probably feeding on the shad also ?

And from the way it sounds if you need shad for bait you may want to head to Starve Hollow.

11. gargoil77

gargoil77 New Member

State:
    Clarksville, Indiana
    That is a wild story. I might head up there this weekend and see if I can't catch me some bait. Thanks for the info.

12. wildcatter

wildcatter New Member

State:
    Irvington, Ky
    Gargoyl77 did you have any luck catching the bait? I go up by there all the time on my way to where the White and Muscatatuck rivers meet.If you did catch some shad,I'll stop by there on my next trip and try my luck. Ive got a bait tank that needs restocking.

13. gargoil77

gargoil77 New Member

State:
    Clarksville, Indiana
    No I didn't get t

14. gargoil77

gargoil77 New Member

State:
    Clarksville, Indiana
    Screwed that last one up somehow.
    No actually I didn't make it. Seeing that my ex isn't a very good participant in this shared custody thing, I had to let my son use my truck to go to work. Thinking about going this weekend if I can.
    How's the fishing in the White and muscatatuk? Never fished either.

15. 223Smitty

223Smitty New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I just pulled upsome of the older posts & saw this. I used to "live" at Starve Hollow every weekend during the summer as a kid. My parents were big into camping & this was there favorite place. I have alot of great memories of Starve Hollow. We camped in an old school-bus dad converted into a camper (which slept all 7 of us).

I can't really give you any help, as I haven't been there for years. I do recall catching a 16" crappie from the divingboard platform once, and some nice blugill & redear off the pier next to the boatdock, also the island across from the boatramp seemed to be a good spot.

I also remember an older woman rowing her boat in with a doubled-over canepole hanging out the back. Dad went over & helped her land a pretty decent sized cat, 10-15 pounds from what I recall.

Thanks for bringing back some good memories!
    Smitty

16. gargoil77

gargoil77 New Member

State:
    Clarksville, Indiana
    Starve Hollow is still a great place to camp. Lots of snakes though. I have a tournament there in two months so I'll probably be doing quite a bit of fishing there soon. I've heard that the island is a good place to fish. It's about an hr drive for me so I don't go there often.

17. Eric-t

Eric-t New Member

State:
    Salem, Indiana
    I fished a tourney there on May 6. Hope you like catching mud cats. Very few channels caught. Big fish was about 3 lbs. I think it took 8 lbs to win (5 fish limit). I'd try talking your club into moving to John Hay. Good luck.

18. gargoil77

gargoil77 New Member

State:
    Clarksville, Indiana
    We fish John Hay two out of the 10 tournaments we have. If i remember right, last years tournament at Starve Hollow didn't produce much for anyone that night. But that was during a rain/sleet/snow/hail storm we had. Do you know where the big fish was caught?

19. Eric-t

Eric-t New Member

State:
    Salem, Indiana
    Go straight across the dam and fish right in front of the overflow. Thats where the creek channel runs. Good luck!

20. gargoil77

gargoil77 New Member

State:
    Clarksville, Indiana
    Thanks Eric-T. We fish John Hay and Starve Hollow next month. Got Tucker Lake around Paoli this weekend. Have you ever fished that lake? Fished there last year and did pretty good. Nice size cats and bluegills there.