Starting troubles!!!!

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by Bigunz, Mar 31, 2006.

1. Bigunz

Bigunz New Member

I have a 2002 Yamaha 115 V4 on an Alumacraft. Nice motor and boat, but it takes forever to get it started! When I bought the boat the carbs were all rebuilt, choke was adjusted, new plugs and a new fuel pump was all installed by the dealer......even still, I can crank on that motor for 15-20 minutes before it even THINKS about starting........is there a trick to this thing, once it starts and warms up it runs great, idles perfect and gets that boat movin' at about 50mph.........maybe I'm holdin' my mouth wrong?!?!?!? Please help!!!! Thanks guys!!!!

"Fish On"

2. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    I had that problem once before on a yamaha. The choke wasn't properly adjusted.

Remove the silencer cover and activat the choke and if you can push it closed more with your finger, then it needs adjusting again.

This is done by simply moving the choke solenoid so it pulls the choke closed completely.

It could be another problem. You should've gone back to the dealer with the complaint.

Give the choke thing a try first.

3. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    I doubt that this is the problem but I sold a boat to a guy and he didn't know that at least on mine the choke was at the ignition and to hold it in while turning the key. I felt silly the first time i figured it out on a 150 that I had.

4. squirtspop

squirtspop New Member

State:
    Glencoe, Arkansas
    Yep, have to push in on the key when turning it over to activate the electronic choke. Should start real easily.

5. Bigunz

Bigunz New Member

Thanks for the replies........but I've tried the choke with the ignition and the manual choke on the motor itself.......still cold natured!!!

6. kspor

kspor New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    I would take it to the dealer. I had a Merc do the same thing. I tried everything. Dealer worked on it and it started at the first touch of the key. Worth the $$$ for less heartache.

7. Bigunz

Bigunz New Member

Well that's all good.....but the boat only had a 30 day warranty on it and I bought it in Columbus.......2hrs. away from me!!! So, it's not gonna be cost effective to haul it all the way up there with my Z71.......I'd hafta take out a loan for the gas, lol!!! Thanks for the help so far though!!!

8. FS Driver

FS Driver New Member

State:
    swansea,illinoi
    i dont know about your motor but my little 9.8 was just
    tuned up by a retired marine mechanic and i took it out the first time and it was a little hard to start (rull rope) type.
    and once running it ran good and we would stop and fish for a few hours useing trolling motor to move around but when we went to really move to the other side of the lake and tried to start it again it would wear you out pulling on the darn thing.
    i had him look at it with it on the boat and a 5 gallon bucket of water..
    (im lucky mine fits it just right) and somehow with the connectors i was getting air in the line and carb somehow?
    he was just over here this morning so i will again be trying to start it at about 2 this afternoon to see if it will start easier..we went straight to the
    fuel pump from the fuel line eliminateing the connector.
    right after that elimination it started right up!
    so now its cooling down and i will try it and post what happens here .
    its just a thought that you might try hey its cheaper than driveing a
    coupla hundred miles away!
    good luck

9. Bigunz

Bigunz New Member

Hey thanks Daryl, hope everything works out for you too!!!! Anyways, I messed with it the other night, butterflies ARE closing completely when choked.......didn't actually choke it at all with the manual choke on the motor nor with the electric choke from the ignition and it started up in about 1/4 of the time it usually takes?!?!? I think I'm making it hard to start........by pumping the ball up too much and immediately choking it, I start to smell fuel, so I think I'm actually flooding it out before I give it a chance to fire up?!?!?! I'm gonna try it again and see what happens!! Thanks again for the replies!!!!

10. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    Pumping the ball up until it gets hard is not the problem. If it were not to get hard, would mean you have a fuel bypass somewhere or a leak.

The ball getting hard means you've filled the carb bowl and the float has seated the needles and stopped any more fuel flow to the carbs.