Starting to get ready!!

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by ladyfish50, Aug 13, 2006.

1. ladyfish50

ladyfish50 New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    We went this a.m. to a new lease we're gonna try hunting this year. Went with 2 other members, Ersel & Catsmith1, & Ersel's son, Adamcat. Rode all over the lease trying to get familiar with all the club stands, roads, etc. Did quite a bit of walking; boy, it was hot & humid. But...on the way home, we saw a flock of 5 turkeys!! We drove along behind them, with them running, until they finally jumped up & flew off. Then, right down the road from that, we saw some deer in a field; looked like a doe w/a young one & a yearling, or maybe twin fawns. It was kind of hard to tell from so far off. But we stopped, & sat & watched them for several minutes. So cool....can't wait for this season to get started!!!! Time to get out the tractor & disc!
    Anybody else starting to get ready????

2. derbycitycatman

derbycitycatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Name:
    your first name
    I cant wait, just started shooting my bow again and have been organizing everything,lol. I need to start walking the land again but its been hot and muggy. Ill be hunting the same areas Ive been hunting for years so I dont do a whole lot of scouting, but I still love seeing fresh tracks, rubs and scrapes. Its about time to put up some stands and find a few ground blinds.:big_smile:

3. catsmith1

catsmith1 New Member

State:
    Haughton, Louisiana
    I had a blast the other day Roxie. Yall picked a great spot to set up. Some of the prettiest woods in the lease!

4. field989

field989 New Member

State:
    east central indiana
    me too
    but im gonna go shooting tomrrow

i started WAY LATER than i wanted to but heck i cant go back in time

but i had to get arrows refletched and i bought 3 new arrows SO AT LEAST I CAN HAVE HALF A DOZEN!!!

but im all set now...

JUST BROAD HEADS...

I THINK I AM GONNA MAKE A BLIND SOON

5. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    The fever is getting stronger each day, weakness is setting in. Hard to concentrate on anything else. Got the maps out, both topo and aerial. Not sure if anything is left to organize, of my gear. Several idea on new blinds I want to build or buy. Got up a few hours ago and went out on the deck for morning coffee. Daylight just coming up and the temps have gotten down to the upper 50's. From all the dry, hot weather we have had, leaves have fallen all over the yard. Hearts pounding! Getting shaky! Eye's are starting to search out through the trees and trying to locate any movement, even here in town. Not sure if I can make it another 3 months. The fever is worse this year than in years past. It's 250 miles to the farm I hunt. I wonder how the cabin is looking. Maybe I should go check. Not thinking straight! I went driving along the river last night, almost wrecked. Got to keep eye's on the road instead of the woods. Damn, this time of year is hard.

6. catsmith1

catsmith1 New Member

State:
    Haughton, Louisiana
    Hey Kutter, glad I'm not the only one! My wife asked me the other day if I had been working out more lately. I asked why and she said my neck was swelling up. I told her it was just pre-pre-pre rut!

7. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    I usually get the deer fever towards the end of July. On the other hand, I get catfish fever in January.
    I know, I know, everybody that knows me knows I am mixed up and never fail to remind me of that fact.

Does the attached photo make the fever worse?

8. bird_dog2011

bird_dog2011 New Member

State:
    Iowa
    yea i have been getting ready by shooting my bow getting sticks in a bag (antlers) getting all new scents and getting non scent detergent for my londry i got enough money last year trapping that i got my own wash machine so nobody puts there scents in the laundry. I shot my buck last year that scored 167 and im only 12 when i shot it (not with a bow but with a 20 guage shotgun) at 80 yards.

9. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    What part of Iowa do you hunt? I hunt about 6 miles from Iowa, near Lancaster, MO

10. ladyfish50

ladyfish50 New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Ok....you're killin' me!!!!That is a great photo, though. Thanks....I think..!

11. ladyfish50

ladyfish50 New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Congrats on that nice buck you've already gotten. Keep us posted on how your year's going. Good luck & good hunting.

Thanks to all of you who've posted so far. Please come back & visit again....tell your friends....lets get some serious "smack" started!!!

12. trnsmsn

trnsmsn New Member

State:
    Missouri Originally Now I
    YEP, I'm Getting Ready, My Buddy & I Drew A Quota Hunt For One Of The Best Management Areas Around Here For Deer. I Have Put In The Drawings For That Area & This Is The First Year I've Ever Got Picked:smile2: . They Only Give Out 75 Permits Per Year.

I Need To Start Shooting My Bow Soon, The Hunt Is Sept. 9th & 10th. I Can't Over Do It Though, I'm Getting Treated For Tendinitis In Both Elbows :sad2:

13. brian

brian New Member

State:
    minneasota
    I was ready back in june to start huntting,but i have to wait til sept 1. That when bear season starts.Then deer huntting after that.I will hunt my own state of MN and WI,but this year i won a hunt late season bow hunt down in MO. I can't wait to try my luck on a MO buck. you all have a great season & be safe

14. ladyfish50

ladyfish50 New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Went to our new lease this a.m.; had all 3 grandkids with us. We went to put out a camera & look over this new site. On the way in to the lease, we passed a pasture that had about a dozen turkeys in it! We backed up, & by then they were running back into the woods. Looked like lots of small ones & some hens. Then, as we're walking in to the woods, my husband sees a deer slipping through. Of course, with me & the 3 kiddos tromping along, we never got another look at it. Then, on the drive back out of the lease, we see a few more turkeys! They were definitely out this morning. That was so cool...it was about 8:30 when we were seeing them. Can't wait to see what pictures turn up on the camera.
    Oh...my 7yr old granddaughter climbed up in this ladder stand, & said "See, I'm not scared this year!" Won't be long I'll have her hunting with me!:004: Our grandsons, 12 & 11, each got their first deer last year.

15. FishMan

FishMan New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Dang Tom...you got it bad, is it contagious...Is there a treatment...Hope you get well soon...LOL

16. ladyfish50

ladyfish50 New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    ...Oh there's a treatment, ain't there Kutter?? We've just got to hang in there til it gets here!!

17. samh

samh New Member

State:
    Damascus,Arkansas
    Went today and checked out a lease with 7 other folks, friends and family, that's about 60 miles south west from here bordering the Ouichita National Forest, new country for me, doesn't lay anything like the Ozarks I'm used to hunting, looked real nice, we signed the papers before we left. My neighbor was over tonight ,he doesn't hunt, and was asking why, ain't we got lots of deer here. I told him yep, we got more deer here than there, but this lease is for "Deer Camp", you can't have deer camp in your back 40, well I guess you could, but I want it far enough from home to get away for a few days and be too far from home to be called for anything less than a real emergency. Haven't went to "Deer Camp" in 8 to 10 years, it used to be an annual ritual that nothing short of a death in the family , and it had better be close family at that, would deter. My old bunch just kind'a got too busy and we got down to too few to mess with it. Starting a new bunch and hopefully a new annual ritual.

18. FishMan

FishMan New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I remember the deer camp... it was a big deal when I was a kid the men would get out together every year and as a young guy you just couldn't stand it until you were old enough to go. I was lucky as when grandpaw quit hunting he still went to deer camp as the cook so he would take me to help out.
    After my service things seemed different and I never experienced the deer camp again. I'm getting back into hunting now and am starting to get excited.
    Hope your lease works out and you make many memories.

19. Ace

Ace New Member

State:
    Gastonia N
    Getting ready to bushhog all the road beds then disk the food plots.I got about 60 mile drive to where I hunt in Chester South Carolina.My wife and I set up our camper and leave it until hunting season is over. We all ways have a deer camp.I built a hunt cabin on 4 acers in Union S.C.We kept it for 7 years
    but due to our health we sold it 3 years back my wife cried when we parted with it.

Hope every one has a safe hunting season and get your buck.
    Ace

:look_down: :big_smile_2:

:cat:

20. ladyfish50

ladyfish50 New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Thanks guys, for the posts. Sam, we hunt at our "camp" that's about 55 miles from our house. We've got a slide-in camper just set up on jacks. One nephew has a camper like ours; another nephew built a rustic cabin down there. No running water, no electricity. Bring water in jugs, porta potties. Use coleman lanterns & tiki torches. We hook our camper lights up to a marine battery; usually lasts about 3-4 days. We have butane for the camper stove, & for any grills or cookers we carry. And I just LOVE it!! We usually have a pretty good group--by that I mean 6-7 of us--for opening weekend. We swap off each year cooking our first big get-together meal. This year, we're cooking catfish!! We are usually all so excited, that we sit around until way too late that first night talking; then try to get some sleep before opening morning! We go down every Friday after work, & come home Sunday afternoon.
    We've also gotten on another lease about 30 miles in another direction from our house. We'll go over there if we can't get away for a full weekend at our other lease. Also, on our old lease, the deer really begin to get spooked by Thanksgiving, & they just seem to disappear. At the new lease, they've been seeing alot of deer right up til January, but the guys just seem to lose interest. I just can't imagine!
    Sam..hope you have good luck, & make some new good friends & memories this year. Good luck to all of you. Keep me updated here.....