Starting to catfish again

Discussion in 'LOCAL IOWA TALK' started by bn2hunt, Jul 16, 2007.

1. bn2hunt

bn2hunt New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Just starting to catfish again after staying away for about 15 years. Went out the other night with a buddy and caught a PB 5lb and then 20 min later doubled it with a 10lber.

Where do people fish in the Des Moines area? What do you use for bait? What do you use for equipment, I have a 7ft ugly stick medium action spinning reel, w/ 12lb test. I think this should be plenty for channels, what do you think?

Thanks for a great site

Dan

2. redwiskers

redwiskers New Member

State:
    iowa
    Well the racoon and Des Moines are both great catfishing rivers so scout out some spots and give it a shot. As far as bait chubs, gills, bullheads just to name a few. When it comes to equipment its all about what you feel best using. I think 12lb line might be a bit to light but some say I'm overprepared. The most important thing is to get out on the water and enjoy it.

3. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Welcome to the BOC from Missouri Dan.

4. bn2hunt

bn2hunt New Member

State:
    Iowa
    For line does anybody use spyderwire or something similar? I wasn't sure how well it would work since it doesn't stretch. Thought it might be easy to pull the bait our of their mouths.

5. BAMA_CAT

BAMA_CAT New Member

State:
    Boaz,ALABAMA
    Welcome to the Hood! From Alabama I use 20#-30# cajun red line on all my cat setups!!

6. RobotCatfish

RobotCatfish New Member

State:
    California
    Hiya Dan,

Welcome to the BOC from CA. I have a couple similar setups except I (now) use 17lb spider wire. My personal best for a channel is a lil over 14lbs and I reeled em in on a 5' ugly with 6lb. I suspect that no matter where you go, catfishin' is the same as far as bait goes - livers, anchovies, blue gill, mackerel, shad and the assortment of dip bait. Honestly, you could probably check out the library here and gain a wealth of information in just one sitting. Again, welcome to the BOC.

7. CatfishHateMe

CatfishHateMe New Member

State:
    Il
    when i fish for channels i just a 7ft medium spinning reel with 20 pound big game and 4/0 hooks just cuz i kno i have a good chance on hooking up with a good sized channel or flathead in the area i fish in. i use bigger stuff for other situations but 12 pound should be good, id go up a little tho. and for the braid it just depends, is the area you fish rocky? is the area filled with underwater debris? if yes then id say stick with mono, but if its sand, mud, clay, or and other smooth bottem braid can be an excellante choice.

8. DELLIS

DELLIS New Member

State:
    OHIO
    well first off welcome back to catfishing
    as far as equipment it is all what you are comfortable with
    i would suggest being over prepared than under prepared nothing like losing one that you know was a whale. mainly you want something strong because a river cat will fight like a whale (strong fights current all day) and go under any brush it can so a stiff rod some believe the longer the better i have used anywhere from 6ft to 15ft and now i use trophy series 6.6ft boat rod from bass pro it was like 29.00 i think
    and then i love either penn or abu big game bait casting reels (hard to get used to but nothing like that cliker going wild when you have a cat on) around 25 lb big game
    depending on current anywhere from a 2oz to 6oz no roll sinkers
    hope this helps

9. bn2hunt

bn2hunt New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I found a local sporting goods store that has Berkly big game in 30lb. He said it is the size of normal 14lb mono. He sells it for 12 cents a yard. Does that sound like a good price?

10. Ahquabi_Master

Ahquabi_Master New Member

State:
    WDM Iowa
    Absolutely not. You can just go to wally world and get a big spool of close to or over 300 yards for around 7-8 dollars when his 12 cents a yard would charge you over 15, 20 bucks to fill your spool!.

11. CatfishHateMe

CatfishHateMe New Member

State:
    Il
    the avg. diameter of 30 pound big game isnt equal to 14 pound test is it? sounds a bit odd to me. or unless its the braided hes talking about.

12. bn2hunt

bn2hunt New Member

State:
    Iowa
    It was the braided line.

I went to wally world last night and I noticed that they have a catalpa worm paste that you squeeze into a soft plastic bait.

1: Do these baits work?

2: Has anybody ever used the catalpa worm baits in this area. I have read they work really well on catfish.

Thanks

13. kkyyoottee

kkyyoottee New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I have never used the paste but have used the worms !!! And cats and bass both love them. I personally think a cat will eat anything!!!:big_smile: