Starting to Bite!

Discussion in 'Crappie Fishing' started by SkiMax, Sep 13, 2006.

1. SkiMax

SkiMax Well-Known Member

State:
    Rising Sun, IN
    Hey everybody. I just got off the phone with my dad and he is a die hard crappie fisherman. He went out by himself today for about 3 hours and caught "enough to fill a dumptruck". he kept 26, all of them over 12 inches. Some were 15 and he even had one 16.25. He fishes the Ohio River and it's tributaries and he is fishing shallow, 2-3 feet of water on banks and he said they are there. just thought i'd relay the info!

2. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

Thanks for the info, that 16 incher is big

3. ETEX-JIGGER

ETEX-JIGGER New Member

State:
    TYLER, TEXAS
    I'm keeping my eyes open an rod in the water here in Texas waiting on them suckers here. Went out this weekend and got a few, but haven't gotten into the "big rush" here yet

4. zappaf19

zappaf19 New Member

State:
    Monticello,IN
    Thats good news! I plan on going fri now that the rains have quit. I was wonderiing when the water would cool off enough for them to come up.
    Bill

5. SkiMax

SkiMax Well-Known Member

State:
    Rising Sun, IN
    yeah, it's a little different for us. We don't fish lakes, we fish backwaters of the Ohio River so they seem to move up sooner. They tend to move up as soon as they can to get outa the current. I went to monroe yesterday and fished off the bank for a while. I caught a few small ones up on bank but I mainly caught them on the old creek channel (fishing off a marina dock) so i don't think they've moved up shallow there yet. but good luck, keep me posted!

6. SkiMax

SkiMax Well-Known Member

State:
    Rising Sun, IN
    Went to the lake for a while tonight. I fished off of the docks. I must have caught 60 crappie, all small though. It was a good time just to get out. I caught them on a neon green jig head and a green panfish assassin. They were tucked right under the dock, no more than 9 inches deep. tight lines all!

7. zappaf19

zappaf19 New Member

State:
    Monticello,IN
    I went fri. and caught alot of little ones and 4 keepers. They were 3' down. I was using a led head with red and white feathers.
    Bill

8. catnapper2006

catnapper2006 New Member

State:
    north carolina
    they tell me their killin em on minows right now int he shallows. im goin to try it out.

9. StuBone278

StuBone278 New Member

State:
    south central Louisiana
    Here in Louisiana I'm starting to catch quite a few little ones in the pond near my house. They are still right off the bottom, but the water is cooling down. I can't wait until they start hitting topwater fly poppers!!!!:cool2: