starting out tying

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing' started by Smijen, Jan 25, 2008.

1. Smijen

Smijen New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Well I am trying a new hobby. I bought a jig tying kit at BPS the other day. I am going to BPS Saturday, the local flyfishing club is putting on a demonstration.

Any tips or suggestions on how to start learning would be helpful.

Thanks!

2. tncatfishing

tncatfishing New Member

State:
    clk. tn
    Their is numerous books and videos available, also check your local library. I have in the past caught some shows on the weekend about tying flies and what not. There definately is an art to it. I have tied some of my own, looked ok and actualy worked, kind of a trial and error thing for me.

3. BAM

BAM New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Be carefull, it can become addictive.In a very short time you will find yourself immersed in a world of yarn, hooks, thread, bobbins, vice's, hooks,feathers, fur and things you have never imagined with no hope of return to the so called real world. The reward of catching a fish on something you have created is well worth the time and effort spent.

4. gargoil77

gargoil77 New Member

State:
    Clarksville, Indiana
    I'm also thinking about tying flies. I NEED something else to do besides sitting on my a$$. For the pat two years I thought about fly fishing so I might as well start tying them first.

5. alpal16

alpal16 New Member

State:
    Philly, PA
    There are also a bunch of websites out there---some of which show instructions on tying. Try this one out:
    www.troutflies.com/tutorials/

THey have some patterns with step by step instructions for tying. I just started tying myself. Seems like the hardest part is getting all the right materials together.

Good luck

6. waynesburgjay

waynesburgjay New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    I've been tying for years. The best advice I could give you would be to get a good vise and tie nymphs, like the gold ribbed hares ear, and tie at least 25 or 50 of the same kind. I would stay away from tying difficult dry flies.
    A good pattern for a midge is some peacock herl wrapped around a small hook size 18-22. then just wrap a grizzly hackle around that.

7. waynesburgjay

waynesburgjay New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    wooly boogers are fairly easy to tie too.

8. psdisme

psdisme New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I agree. Wolly Buggers are and excellent place to start. They're a very versatile fly as well.

Skip Morris has as pretty good book for beginners called :
    "Fly Tying Made Clear and Simple"

Hope this helps!

9. River Hobo

River Hobo New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    I've tried a few different books but could never really get the hang of it from reading them. If you can get some one to actually show you a few basic flies and then just get creative yourself from there. When seeing it done it is so much easier to learn ( I feel) than trying to look at a picture in a book.
    But I can tell you one thing for sure. You'll never forget the first fish you catch on a fly you tied yourself.
    Good Luck