Starting out in blue catfishing

Discussion in 'Blue Catfishing' started by south_va_fisherman, Aug 24, 2006.

1. south_va_fisherman

south_va_fisherman New Member

State:
    Muddy Cross, Virginia
    ok im kinda new to blue cat fishing. what is the easiest way to catch them? im not looking to set the new world record, i just want to catch something. i will be fishing a canal in a power plant from the bank. the water is moving fairly quickly, and there is a lack of cover. its roughly 50 feet wide. i read on vdgif's website that there is a huge blue cat population in there. how can i catch them? any tips? thanks

2. bhunt

bhunt New Member

State:
    *Required*
    Try drifting cut bait with a slip float. Good luck.

3. south_va_fisherman

State:
    Muddy Cross, Virginia
    could you explain how to do that? thanks

4. dwreel

dwreel New Member

State:
    Southern Pines, NC
    Go to the "Library" and look under "Fishing Tackle". Everything you want to know is there. Access it from the yellow Tool Bar at the top of the opening page. Let us know if you still need some help.

5. loki1982

loki1982 New Member

State:
    Texas
    If you have a boat, drift fishing is definitely in my opinion the best bluecat method around. The simple concept is to get perferrably live/fresh cut bait, and drift over ledges. For a more detailed explaination the library has some great articles.

6. Redd

Redd New Member

State:
    Southeast Kansas
    Fish on deep ledges in the river. I don't have a boat that can handle the river, so I don't drift fish like the rest of them. Also, on days the river suddenly rises, try fishing the dam. On the one I fish, they congregate in the whole area, eating the baitfish that get washed down. Also, my favorite bait is shad steaks. That's what's produced the most for me. Tight lines to ya!

-Red

7. south_va_fisherman

State:
    Muddy Cross, Virginia
    thanks for the ideas. i am going to head out this weekend and give it a try.

8. powercat

powercat New Member

State:
    Olathe,Ks/Fish Gravois Mi
    Have fun, You will be suprised. I have fished and enjoyed the Lake of the Ozarks for 45 years and just learned how to drift fish for blue cats this spring. I am HOOKED.:lol:

9. Bigbluefisherman

Bigbluefisherman New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Get some big fishing gear and use cut shad as far as that goes anything that is cut and bloody! Good luck on your blue cats.

10. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    I see you are in southern Virginia. If you are anywhere near the James River you have the potential for a new world record, and if not that you can easily hope for 70-90 pound fish.

11. south_va_fisherman

State:
    Muddy Cross, Virginia
    I am fishing near the surry power plant in surry county..its right on the james