starting new rod rack - need input

Discussion in 'LOCAL ARKANSAS TALK' started by tallmanrus, Jan 22, 2010.

1. tallmanrus

tallmanrus New Member

State:
    arkansas
    Well started on new rod rack , and thought yall could tell me what you think and give me some sugestions, this is the first one i have ever made. Now it is dirty and taped together but its just the rough draft . need to put the supports on , clean it up (it is made out of 2 " aluminum square tubeing - so it should clean up nice ) and get some new rod holders . do you think the 36" high is going to be a problem , was thinking about clearance for the motor .

Attached Files:

• 002.jpg
      002.jpg
      File size:
      53.3 KB
      Views:
  2. GrandpaGoneFishing

GrandpaGoneFishing New Member

State:
    Linn Valley, Ks
    Looks like it coming along nicely. you'll have to show it when you get it all done. Only thing I'd change is the rod holders over to Monsters. But good looking rack in the process.​

3. tallmanrus

tallmanrus New Member

State:
    arkansas
    ya i need some new holders but cant swing them right now - ill keep yall posted

4. big pappa

big pappa New Member

State:
    perry, Ark
    dont think it will hold my poles up!!!! LOL you know i use 14 foot poles!!! right!!! i am going to hafta build me one of those so i can fish like the pro's too!!! i like your pole holders never c'n any like that,, send me a picture of one close up i think i can make them pretty easy!!!!

5. Here is mine I made from 2" square aluminum. I used galvanized threaded pipe fittings from Home Depot for the mounts. I went with an 18" height for starters, then moved down to a 12" heighth. Now I am thinking going back to the 18". It's easy to change around to test diferent things. I also mounted a few spotlights on and ran the wiring inside the tubing. You can even find end cap inserts on line for the fininshing touch. For bracing, I used shortened bimi top supports I had laying around for lateral support. And for side to side bracing I used galvanized pipe hangers, all thread and bases. Again, very easy to make, and adjust to different settings. Here's some pics....

6. Here's some shots of the mounting points......very sturdy setup. ;)

7. Best part is using these lights to land fish, go lurking through the shallows, and docking, good luck hoss.

8. Little Mac

Little Mac Active Member

State:
    NW Arkansa
    Long as its comfortable to you Robert thats what counts. brace it good. Looks good to me. Mac

9. tallmanrus

tallmanrus New Member

State:
    arkansas
    well im still playing with the idea. i ran into someone that just had a rod rack on each side of the motor . i really like the idea of his and alot simplier . i may go with them .

10. ozman

ozman New Member

State:
    Mo
    I used a 2x2 angle across the back seat with 1/2" nuts welded to it with duel driftmasters. I also have some on the side rails.

Attached Files:

11. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    I wanna say it's Johnny(777) that has one on each side of his engine. The hold 3 rods each. My old boat has a rack i built out of 1 1/2 angle that works fine. Not the prettiest thing but it's solid. I'll be using a bass boat this year and want to make a set to mount on the sides.

12. tallmanrus

tallmanrus New Member

State:
    arkansas
    These are just sitting there right now but i think this is what im going with. just need to get some pipe flanges to to mount them on , and clean them up and im good to go - i hope lol

Attached Files:

13. big pappa

big pappa New Member

State:
    perry, Ark
    looks good!! gonna hafta build me one of those i guess!!!!

14. Big Sam

Big Sam Well-Known Member

State:
    Booneville AR
    Name:
    Sam
    Close.....4 on each side..I spend as much time on the back of his boat as i do at home!!!LOL:eek: Just get your comfortable Robert & braced good..They look ok to me!!!

15. tallmanrus

tallmanrus New Member

State:
    arkansas
    Thanks sam , i dropped them off today to get them welded up tight, i like the idea and they are removable also . And all i fish is off the back of my boat

16. raysplay

raysplay New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    Tall.... Rod holders look like they will work just fine but are you forgetting that you are not the only one fishing out of the boat "HELLO" what about the front???????:angry:

17. puddle jumper

puddle jumper Well-Known Member

State:
    NW.Georgia
    You may have this covered but what is going to stop them from unscrewing from the pipe flange if a fish pulls the outside pole???
    Puddle

18. tallmanrus

tallmanrus New Member

State:
    arkansas
    john . i got a 12 " 3/4 pipe flange inside the holders with a pin holding them tight - i then got another piece of 2" square tubeing going from the main upright to the back of the boat for more support - with another pin. pull the pins and it will come off for storeing. should be strong enough for any catfish out there. will post full pics later this week'---- O YA Ray got you covered !!!!!

Last edited: Feb 22, 2010
    puddle jumper likes this.
  19. Jeremy Sheffey

Jeremy Sheffey New Member

State:
    Columbus, Ohio
    im excited to see the results when you are 100% complete

20. jde512

jde512 New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    Tallmanrus, your design inspired me to build these over the past weekend. 1 1/2" square aluminum tubing clipped to the deck of the boat and a through-bolt into the transom support. Now I just need something to put a pull on them to test them out!

Attached Files: