starting new 8

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by JERMSQUIRM, Jan 5, 2008.

1. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    getting ready to mount this buddies 8 tomorrow. im re-hydrating the tanned cape now (solution of 4 gallons water 1lb salt and a bactracide to prevent bacterial growth) and preping the form. potters clay is used to set the glass eyes and a cone dremel bit to open up the nostrials. them a small ball cutting bit opend a slit in tear duct to tuck skin and mouth is opened up in the fold of back with same bit. then mouth is slit open with a butter knife or simmilar tool. i use a serrated taxidermist dull fish skinning knife. this is where skin will tuck to form the mouth. access in the fold of back corner will tuck into the bigger opening where bit was used. be back tomorrow with some finish work.

2. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    looking forward to the next batch of pics bro.

3. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    sanded form lightly with sandpaper to get paste to stick. added eye clay to form eye and lids. got antlers sawed down and adjusted with bondo. simply added to get antlers and scull plate in proper position. added clay to nose so i can adjust and work it into shape and some down the muscle in face. adds detail to finished mount. clay can be worked through skin. screwed skull plate to form with 3" screws into wooden block in the top of form.

be sewing it uo soon!

4. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    after using plaster of paris to blend in skull to form its covered in a hide paste. skin slipped on and the sewing begins. as its sewed up the form is turned brisket up to make sure its centered.

then its stapled to the wooden form back. the mouth (inner lips that are turned inside out (split) are tucked into the slot i carved in mouth. tucked untill the hair just is at the edge of mouth. after its tucked and looks good its pinned with straight pins. nostrails are tucked into nose and eyes formed.

5. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    after everything is tucked and pinned, the ears and clay i filled the ear butts are shaped and adjusted. then i add an impression from the ear opening down the neck in clay to form the muscle groups of whitetails ears. tthe tear ducts are pressed into the clay and slot cut earlier and pinned.

the brisket is left open for a day or two to allow moisture to escape. the mount is now hung to begin drying. i check and adjust for a few days them it must dry for a few weeks untill ready to finish paint.

6. ladyfish50

ladyfish50 New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    I love watching the progress, & I can see already that it's gonna look really good. Keep posting those pictures so we can watch, too!

7. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    all is done now. just need to finish airbrushing the inner ears witch yellow when tanned and dried. hope ya enjoied the process. pretty cool for someone who has never seen it done.

this deer had a second whith patch on neck lower than usual.

lost this post with the move,

8. Believer

Believer New Member

State:
    Greenwood, AR.
    Looks good!:big_smile:

9. Little Mac

Little Mac Active Member

State:
    NW Arkansa
    Hey Jeremy, I was wondering How the Taxidermy business has been on your hands, I have a touch of arther in my hands and was wondering how tough it is on your hands, I have been thinking seriously about getting into this sideline. My dexterity is still good, my grip isnt too bad still. Was just wondering since you have been doing this for a bit now. BTW I think you are doing a very good job on what Ive seen so far. Mac

10. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    well there is a lot of sewing. i sometimes get cramps si i have to take a break. and some of the streaching ya need that grip. but there are tools to help with this, there not real cheap but once ya start a buisness they can pay for themselves quick.

11. Little Mac

Little Mac Active Member

State:
    NW Arkansa
    OK, thanks, I have all the catalogs and a few video and how too books, guess i just need to get into it and see for myself. :smile2:

12. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    thanks for the pics,enjoyed watching it take shape.