Starting fluid?

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by jtrew, Jun 18, 2008.

1. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Does anyone know if using starting fluid on an outboard motor is harmful to it? Particularly on 4-stroke? Seems like, since it's a 4-cycle, just like an auto engine, it wouldn't cause any problem, but I'd like to be sure. My Yamaha 25hp 4-stroke is extremely hard to start when cold, and there isn't any choke to set on it....it's all computer.

2. Deadline

Deadline New Member

State:
    NC
    Have you ever tried WD 40 ? It works for me and it lubes .

3. whitney weese

whitney weese New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    dont know if it will harm it but in the past. when i use starting fluid. once i started to use it the moter i had to always use it on the same moter. its like it gets hooked on it.

4. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    Jerry, it's never a good idea to use starting fluid.

I've found that the Yamaha engines with the quick start aplication, is to just turn the key. Don't move any controls. trying to start them like any other outboard, doesn't work.

5. Moose1

Moose1 New Member

State:
    STEUB, OHIO
    THERE IS A LOT OF TRUTH TO THE ,ONCE YOU USE STARTING FLUID YOU WILL ALWAYS HAVE TO USE IT. WE HAD 35 BIG RIGS AND COME COLD WEATHER WE HAD TO USE STATING FLUID ON EVERY TRUCK THAT USED IT BEFORE. TWO TRUCKS IN THE HOLE BUNCH THAT NEVER HAD STARTING FLUID. WOULD START ON THEIR OWN AT EVEN 20 BELOW ZERO. NOW YOU EXPLAIN THAT BUT IT IS TRUE,SEEN IT IN OTHER FLEETS THAT MADE THE SAME MISTAKE.
    AND YOU DO NOT WANT TO SPRAY TO MUNCH IN THE AIR INTAKE BECAUSE IT WILL LOCK UP THE ENGINE AND BEND A ROD OR MORE. VERY TOUGH STUFF.
    ON THE YAMAHA JUST TURN KEY ON AND CRANK A LTTLE AND STOP AND CRANK AGAIN. DO NOT CRANK TO LONG AT ONE TIME YOU WILL BURN UP STARTER.

MOOSE:eek:oooh:

6. cantstopgrandma

cantstopgrandma New Member

State:
    MD
    I personally dont like using starting fluid in anything as expensive as a boat motor. If for some reason the starting fluid doesn't do the trick and you dont get it started, it can seize the motor up because you just washed all the oil off the cylinder walls and they will rust quickly. Just my $.02

7. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Unfortunately, doing it that way generally runs the battery down before the engine starts. I have to pull up a vehicle, attach the jumper cables, and crank about 10 minutes before it starts up.

8. lissaannjon

lissaannjon New Member

State:
    Dubuque, IA
    sounds like its time to take it to the mechanic and bite the bullet. id hate to see you get stranded miles from the ramp somewhere when its decided to pull that and not start for ya. good luck

9. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    I've had a mechanic trying to fix the problem with no results. I refuse to take it back to the dealer; the problem didn't start till the dealer worked on the motor...three times to fix the problem I took it in about.

10. whitney weese

whitney weese New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    if the it worked befor the dealer worked on it and it doesnt now. there would be a dealer geting me a new moter on his dime.

11. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Yeah, 10 years from now, after spending several thousand dollars on lawyers and fighting in the courts.

12. primitivefrn

primitivefrn Member

State:
    collins mo
    Jerry, had the same problem on a 175 sportsjet (merc.) took it to a mech. they set it a little richer. mine doesn't have a choke, on it. also if battery is, getting old or has been drained all they way down. a new bat. may help.
    Anway, mine started, but stayed slow to start, untill I ran it out of fuel one day, loading it.
    After that it started good, wonder if their is something in fuel like water or sludge, that would cause, this type of problems.
    Jim

13. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Tried getting a new battery---maximum cranking amps. Ran it down trying to start the motor, and had to pull the van up alongside and use the jumper cables. As far as running it out of gas goes, when I'm through for the day, I try to disconnect my gas line and run the motor dry before pulling the boat out of the water. If I'm at a busy ramp, that's not always possible, but I think it keeps gas from drying in the carbs and gunking them up.