Starting a different diet of my own today!

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by catfishjohn, Nov 2, 2006.

1. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    I have to start a diet of my own today.Not to lose weight(could lose my belly though) but to stay alive.I went and had a lot of blood work done last week and an upper gi.My Dr called me yesterday and told me that my Triglycerides were very high(not sure the #,will find out though) and my good cholesterol is low.He's putting me on Tricor and told me I need to change my lifestyle/diet bigtime.As of today,no more MT. Dew(which is my main problem I think) and try to cut out all the other unnecessary sugars.I'm also getting off fried foods and eating out.I've got to go have more blood work done in 6 weeks.On top of this the upper gi shows I have a hiatal hernia and acid reflux.I've been taking meds for the reflux for a cpl years now,glad it wasn't more serious.
    I always knew that Mt. Dew was bad for you,but this is a wake up call for me esp. since I have family history of heart disease.
    Wish me Luck!!!!!

2. sal_jr

sal_jr New Member

State:
    Ithaca, MI
    Well bro, if you need motivation, just let me know.

The BOC is an unbelievable place- a true brotherhood that looks after not only the successes of its memebership while fishin, but also keeps a good eye on the general wellbeing of its brothers and sisters. Serious. I went on a monthlong vacation not long ago and when I got back, some folks believed something had happened to me- one even posted a reward for my whereabouts.

You've got a good family here that will support you, so utilize the strength of others as your motivation, your solace, and your base- Check in and update us, be honest, and folks here will rise for you. Just look at my diet page- Im using the thread as a daily food and activity diary of sorts and leaving it up to my peers in The BOC to tell me if I need to adjust, omit, add, or delete any activity or food item. So long as I keep it honest, Im sure these people will give me a straight answer. Perhaps something along the line may help you too?

It is not often that a fella can lean on so many virtual shoulders and do so knowing that those anonymous people- faces you see but people you truly do not know, put their best foot forward just for you. Caring for friends they have never in many cases shared a cup of coffe with.

It speaks volumes to me.... It really does.

So good luck on your change of lifestyle, and please do keep us informed. Im as eager to return the favor as I am inspired by the kindness showed to me by these fine ladies and gents.

God Bless and Good luck.

Sal

3. Ol Man

Ol Man New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Best of luck to you, John. I have the same problems, only I never drank Mt. Dew. I'm on Vytorin. The Mrs. had high cholesteral and her remedy was to eat a couple bowls of Cheerios every day. Her cholesteral came down without medication....
    ~~~~~~~~~~
    I always wanted to be a procrastinator, never got around to it.

4. Cattledogz

Cattledogz Active Member

State:
    NC
    The kicker is the fact that the triclycerides are high and the good cholesterol is low.

If you make those changes John it will turn around. You can do it!!!

5. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    I forgot the good news.This will give me an excuse to go fishing more...I'm supposed to eat fish twice a week.I'll still CPR the big ones(LOL...if I catch any) and only eat the little ones.

6. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    I just talked to the DR,my triglycerides were at 674,they want it to be under 236.

7. pk_powell

pk_powell New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I too am striving to diet and I have been using organic Flax Seed twice a day.6 months ago my cholesterol was 245,now without medication it is down to 207.I'm sure with my excercise regime it will finally come back down to normal.I totally agree with Sal jr.This is an internet site that deeply cares about all the members and I feel we care about each other.I buy my flax seed in a grocery store and you can get it at Walmart.It might be something to consider.Good luck and keep us updated.:big_smile:

8. dgde4x4man

dgde4x4man New Member

State:
    La Moille, Illinois
    Good luck to you hoss! I too am a Mountain Dew junkie and have been for almost 20 years. I too have gave it up, except for an occasional can maybe once a month or so. You can do it brother!

9. dgde4x4man

dgde4x4man New Member

State:
    La Moille, Illinois
    How is your weight loss going PK. I have not heard from ya for a while. I went off the wagon a few weeks ago and get back on it again Monday. After moving my buddy back the week before and then getting sick I just gave it up. But looking forward to doing it again after a weekend of fun! LOL.

10. Hope

Hope New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    John, Do you know (or does anyone else?) ... what the Dew does to raise the triglycerides? I mean, did the doc say specifically that the Dew was the trouble? How much of it were you drinking every day? Askin cuz I have a loved one who drinks nothing but Dew or milk.

Thanks! and Good luck :smile2:

11. Ol Man

Ol Man New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Eating the fish is for Omega-3... Oily fish such as salmon, trout, sardines, etc. Catfish aren't considered "oily". I get my omega-3 from flaxseed.
    ~~~~~~~~~~
    Help me, I'm a prisoner in a Fortune cookie file!

12. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    From what I've read on the internet its all the excess sugar in the dew that can make them higher.I drank 4-5 cans a day on average.I'm not 100% sure the dew is the problem but I need to quit either way because of my stomach.

13. sal_jr

sal_jr New Member

State:
    Ithaca, MI
    I read in an Amish cookbook that for weight loss and apetite control you can chew fennel seeds- They are VERY flavorful, they naturally stave off Hunger, and theyre healthy as can be for you.

Try that too.

-Sal

14. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    Hey Sal,
    where would I find those at?

I made it through day 1 with only a half can of dew.I drank a lot of coffee yesterday morn and drank water the rest of the day.We made the mistake of trying to walk...walked 1.2 miles,I know thats not a lot for a lot of you but for somebody that has back problems like I do,its like a marathon.By the time we got home abt all I could do was lay.I was useless the rest of the evening.It still hurts pretty bad.My Dr is trying to send me to another Dr for pain management seeing as all I take is tylenol.Been there and done that already though,have a void where I don't remember much for a while.
    Oh well,today is another day and I'll try to make it through it too.

15. sal_jr

sal_jr New Member

State:
    Ithaca, MI
    Spice section of any grocery store would have them.

They use those, pepper, salt, and maple syrup for REALLY GOOD breakfast sausage!

16. Hope

Hope New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I see... thanks :smile2: Was thinkin maybe it created some weird chemical reaction in the body that built all these little cozy nests for triglycerides to hide in :eek:oooh: .
    Drinking lots of water may help to flush everything through the system too, and so much better than all the acid contained in soda. Also, I've seen those little mini cans for sale at WalMart... dunno how many ounces is in them, but might help to resist the temptation to slug down too much.

When I was drinking too much Diet Dr. Pepper, the artificial sweeteners in that were doin a number on me, so had to limit myself to 1 can a day. Coffee tho... haven't been able to cut back on that yet. Seems like it's always something!

Have a great day~ :cool2:

17. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    John, good luck with getting those triglycerides down.

I've had that problem for many years. They found my triglycerides were up to 1500 about 30 years ago. The Cardiologist put me on Nician (non prescription drug) and recommended I start jogging 5 miles a day and cut out sweets and fats. I also started using Aspartame sweetner and diet drinks as soon as it was available. It all worked, I soon stop taking Nician. Over the years my triglycerides started working back up so now I take Gemfibrozil and mine stays around 160. I don't jog anymore but I brisk walk 3 miles every day.
    I've never had a problem with high Cholesterol.

18. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    I'm on my third day of the med Tricor.I'm not sure if its the lack of Dew(only had 1 or less a day) or the side effect of the med but I've had a migraine like headache that woke me up early this morning.I've taken Tylenol and drank 1 Dew to see if it helps but no relief yet.
    Has anyone else taken this medicine and did you have any side effects? I'm curious to know if its the med. causing the headache.

19. MattShannon

MattShannon New Member

State:
    WV
    Good luck John, prayin for ya bro. I guessing that the headache could be from the lack of caffine. I quit drinking coffee about 6 months ago and had to fight the headaches for a week or more.

20. Pastor E

Pastor E New Member

State:
    Beebe AR
    Best wishes John med, helps I for got what im on but it got them down