Starter

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by coonskinner88, Jun 27, 2006.

1. coonskinner88

coonskinner88 New Member

State:
    VA
    iv got a 14 foot alumicraft wit a evinrude 25 on the back
    engine runs great and has electric start but when i bought it the electric start didnt work so iv ben using the pull start
    today i figured i would give it a look and see if i can get the electric start to work but no luck.... soilinoid clicks when i push the start button, tried new solinoid...didnt help...tried jumpin the soilinoid... didnt work...cleaned all wires and connection and checked them... i think the starter is gone bad? figured i would ask someone who knows before i go lookin for a new started and it would possibly be something simple...
    any help is appreciated...

2. Arkie55

Arkie55 New Member

State:
    Mississippi
    Sounds like the brushes are shot. Same thing happened to Coach's starter on his 48spl. We took the starter apart and the brushes that the wires are fixed to was burnt completely up. Pull the starter and take it to a repair shop. They can probably install new brushes and fix you right up.

3. coonskinner88

coonskinner88 New Member

State:
    VA
    how much would that cost and could i do it?
    if you have any idea or cost

4. 223Smitty

223Smitty New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Barry- Let me begin by saying I'm sure no boat motor mechanic. lol, with that out of the way...... I just had to replace the starter on an old Chrysler OB. There are no brushes (readily) available, so a replacement starter was my quickest, easiest, and probably cheapest solution, and it made the motor crank 10 times faster.

To get to the point of my post, here's a link if you need a starter. It's where I got mine ($120 new, not rebuilt) & their service & help was great! They were also the cheapest on price.

http://www.dbelectrical.com/marine/outboard.shtml#chrysler

Smitty

5. catseeman

catseeman New Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    If you are mechanicly able to remove the starter take to an auto parts store and have it checked. I was able to buy brushes for mine at NAPA. The guy who works there is a fishman and took the time to find brushs that would fit. My evinrude is a1967 40hp but the starter is from a Mid 1950's ford car. I don't know when they changed the starters to a different year.

6. zappaf19

zappaf19 New Member

State:
    Monticello,IN
  7. coonskinner88

coonskinner88 New Member

State:
    VA
    took it off this morning and took the starter down....took it appart and crap fell out everywhere....brushes were fine.... cleaned everypart wiped them clean and put it back togeather and put back on engine.... still didint work.... im gonna leave it and keep on using the pull rope untill i feel like spending 130 buck on a starter haha
    thanks for the help