Starter

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by FLOAT TRIP WILLIE, Feb 1, 2009.

1. FLOAT TRIP WILLIE

FLOAT TRIP WILLIE Active Member

State:
    St. Louis
    do you guys kno where i can get a cheap starter for a 1974 johnson 50hp? Any help will do.. A guy told me to check Napa but they told me they didnt sell them..:sad2:

2. Trapper-steve

Trapper-steve New Member

State:
    Bicknell, IN
    If you have the old starter you could check with some local alternator and starter rebuild shops might be able to rebuild it. :confused2:

3. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    Willie, I have one off of a 70/75 horse but the part #s don't cross to a 50hp. The P/N for your starter is 0384163, but do you know if it's a Prestolite or an American Bosch? And also, what's the problem with it? You can buy rebuild kits for it for less than $50 depending on what's wrong with it that would probably fix it.

4. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Willie this is not good fer the home team....Like Brandon said rebuild it ....check Iboats.com and see what a kit will cost vs. a starter...call yer marina's thats gonna hurt:eek:oooh:.....I cant prommis ya nuttin ...its been awhile & its a long shot but I might have you a prospect I will call in the morning if they still have it & aint scrapped it???....I will pm you if the moters there or not ?? If its there hope they match... know starters good on this moter too .I had it checking it over:wink:Bet ya can get er real cheap too:smile2:Cross them fingers it has been awhile:roll_eyes:

5. RRRKKK

RRRKKK New Member

State:
    Quincy IL
    Try Quiller Marine in Hamburg IL a little north of you, but he has everything, new to used or repairs.

6. FLOAT TRIP WILLIE

State:
    St. Louis
    Thanks for the link Branden.. Its a Prestolite.. I didnt kno you can rebuild it.. When i try to start it the gear on the starter drops down and spin like crazy.. Ima get in touch with Cuz and see do he have a stand to sit it on.. I'll throw it in the truck and bring it to lead stock

7. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Willie they scrapped it:sad2:Just called its gone:sad2:

8. FLOAT TRIP WILLIE

State:
    St. Louis
    Thanks for all the help guys... But like a kid with a new toy i kept messing around with it.. And for some strange reason:roll_eyes: i shot some starting fluid in it and she's still out there running strong..... LOL:smile2::smile2:

:0a22:The floater floats again( i mean runs again) :0a22:

Thanks again for all the feed back

9. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    Man don't be shoot'n to much starter fluid in it or you'll have more than starter problems....:crazy:

10. FLOAT TRIP WILLIE

State:
    St. Louis
    I sure hope not Randy... I just gave the top carb a dab.. heck it scared me how it turned over so fast...

11. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    Hey Willie, do you happen to notice a spring below or above the gear on your starter? also maybe just notice if it is dirty, could be sticking a bit from the years of build up on it, had that happen to mine once last year (on a 2002) cleaned it up and has been fine since. Just trying to cover all the easy and cheap things 1st.

12. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    Willie, Randy is right - mine sticks in the up position every so often, that's my cue to clean and oil the bendix:smile2:

He's also right about the starting fluid - there's no lube in ether:wink: Using it often and/or to keep it running for periods of time is basically running it with no lubrication and hard on your main bearings, rings, and cylinder walls. I've heard it recommended to mist fuel/oil mix into the carb throat with a spray bottle instead of starting fluid. Glad to hear she's running!

13. larry d. grady

larry d. grady New Member

State:
    north caro
    here in n.c.we have a place locally that rebuilds starters for cars and trucks ,and he does boat starters also,check your local mechanic shops and they can probably tell you where to go.

14. jasonminitruck

jasonminitruck New Member

State:
    tennessee
    P.m. sent

15. ateamfisherman

ateamfisherman New Member

State:
    Texas
    If you have to put some thing in the carubrator to keep it funning use wd40 it will keep it lubicated. Thanks Sam Davis