Starter unit.

Discussion in 'Metal Detecting' started by Blue Duck, Feb 15, 2009.

1. Blue Duck

Blue Duck New Member

State:
    Idaho
    What would be a good brand and price for someone who wanted to get started metal detecting? I don't know a thing about it. Just interested in getting started and not wanting to invest in something that won't do the job....

2. bellymeat

bellymeat New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    IMO the best starter unit is the garrett ace250. If you search for a good price look at paying around $200.

NOW let me premise that with this: A LOT of veteran detectorist have found that the ace250 is an excellent all around detector no matter what the price. Its lightweight, easy to use and you can throw it in the back of your car.

Ok with that said do me a favor... Buy from a dealer. No I'm not a metal detector dealer, but I know with you being a nubee, you will no doubt have some questions. And your dealer can answer your questions.

If you have any questions, post them here or shoot me a pm.

later....
    Pappy

3. Wolfdog

Wolfdog New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Don't back away from the fisher F2. They were being sold for $199.00, and that was with a 4" & 8" coils. Very easy to learn and use.

4. shingman6

shingman6 New Member

State:
    South Carolini
    I agree with Bellymeat, The ace 250 is a good starter detector and a good backup detector. I have one and I am completly satisfied with it. I got all my detectors from a company online called Kellyco Medal Detectors .com. They are good people to deal with and I have not had any problems with them.

5. Blue Duck

Blue Duck New Member

State:
    Idaho
    Thanks for the help guys. I appreciate the info.....