Starter Problems with my boat

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by 223Smitty, Jun 4, 2006.

1. 223Smitty

223Smitty New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Well, after spending $50 on this old Chrysler (1967-45HP), I tried to fire it yesterday. Before I rebuilt the carb, fuel pump, replaced plugs, etc., it "strained" alittle while cranking, but knowing the motor would run (which it did) before spending any $$ on it was my main priority.

It would crank fine for a couple tries, then pretty much drag down (new battery) the starter. I pulled the starter off, took it apart, noticed the brushes are pretty worn, cleaned all the old brush dust out of it, ran a wirebrush over things to clean them up alittle, put it back together & back on the motor. Same deal, but it cranked alittle better, initially.....but still pukes-out pretty quickly.

Now I found-out brush kits are no longer made. #392-4866 (#F15042). It's a Prestolite starter #MGD-4022B-12V, and underneath that # is the number 72. In the starter model #, I'm not positive that the first #2 is a 2 (#MGD-40?2B-12V)....as best I can tell it is.

Went to NAPA yesterday, thinking I could find something that'd "work", no luck. Looked on Ebay today, saw used starters from $50-$100, which could be a bigger mess than the one I already have.

Here's the starter I have:

http://www.mercruiserparts.com/Show....png&inbr=1728&bnbr=60&bdesc=ELECTRIC+STARTER
    Any suggestions?

Thanks!
    Smitty

2. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill

3. tspergin

tspergin New Member

State:
    newark ohio
    I used to work in a auto electric shop rebuilding starters and we used to find a set of brushes that was close and grind and file them down to fit the old prestolite starters,you could give that a try find your nearest rebuild shop and they might just help you out and also replace the bushings that the armature shaft runs in they can match you up a set,hope this helps you

4. 223Smitty

223Smitty New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Thanks Willard, just sent them an email.

Tony, thanks also. That's kind-of what I had in mind, but NAPA didn't have much in the way of brushes in-stock. I didn't want them to order a bunch in, without my knowing what'd work. I'll look for a local rebuild shop in the meantime to see if they'd have anything I may be able to make work.

Smitty

5. 223Smitty

223Smitty New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Well, got the set of brushes I saw yesterday, got them to fit.....no go, the wires were smaller than the origionals & burnt right in two. So, guess I'll be looking for an entire starter :sad2:

Found 1 on ebay $50 + right now, can't decide whether to bid or not.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v438/223smitty/junk/Boat/bf_2.jpg

Smitty

6. 223Smitty

223Smitty New Member

State:
    Indiana
  7. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Trapper without looking at both starters and without the parts book I couldn't tell you if it will work or not. I can tell you I have done business with those folks before on 3 different occasions and was satisfied all three times.
    I would wait and see what twin cities has to say before I shell out for a new one. Those folks at twin cities are honest folks to.

8. 223Smitty

223Smitty New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Willard- I had emailed DB Electric today, and got a reply back already. He (Steve) said he wasn't sure, and asked for a pic of my starter, which I sent. So I am expecting a reply in a day or 2 back from them. Looks to me like it'd work, it's the same dimenisions, 11 teeth.

I just saw the exact same starter I have/need sell on Ebay for $68 + $10 shipping, this was a used one. Heck, for another $30-$40, I'd buy a new one.

I'll wait & see what Twin Cities has to say. It'd be good for all the other older Chrysler OB owners if they had a line on replacement starters, atleast in the short time I've fooled with this one, they don't seem to be easy to come by.

Thanks again Willard for the help!
    Smitty

9. 223Smitty

223Smitty New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Just got off the phone with Steve at DB Electric. He was more than willing to help. Ordered a new starter, with a 1 year warranty for $119 + $12 shipping.

Smitty

10. 223Smitty

223Smitty New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I recieved an email back today from Twin....$188 for a starter. Not attempting to "bash" them on pricing, just glad I already ordered from DB.

Thanks again for your help!
    Smitty

11. 223Smitty

223Smitty New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Got the new starter today. I noticed it was alittle shorter than the original, so I emailed Steve back, and got a quick reply. A few minutes later, the starter was on the motor, the boat was outside the barn with the motor in water. The starter spun the motor unbelievebly faster than the old worn-out one.....after a few minutes (connecting fuel lines & clearing everything) I cranked 'er........and she fired-up! :big_smile:

I'm just waiting for the return of some paperwork (BMV) & she'll be ready to fish soon!

I'll put in a plug for DB Electrical, they were great to deal with the whole way!

See ya on the water!!!:smile2:

Smitty

12. Trapper-steve

Trapper-steve Well-Known Member

State:
    Bicknell, IN
    Trapper. I'm glad to see you got your motor running.
    Question where is DB Electrical located? THANKS