Starter not engaging

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by calogan, Aug 17, 2009.

1. calogan

calogan New Member

State:
    Iowa
    On my 89' 9.9 Evinrude, the electric starter won't engage with the fly wheel. The gear on the starter just spins, it won't jump up and mesh with the gears on the fly wheel. I believe that the electric starter was an add on. Any ideas? Thanks

2. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    clean all your wiring terminals, especially the ground, and make sure you've got a full battery.

3. catfishinsc

catfishinsc New Member

State:
    SC
    WD40 has worked for me in the past with a few lawn mower starters and once with an outboard starter. If that doesn't work or it's a persistent problem, take the starter off and then see if it's cheaper to get it repaired or get a new one.

4. Catfish_Scooter

Catfish_Scooter New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    One of them is probably shot..

5. Rollinunknown

Rollinunknown New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Missouri
    wd-40 around shaft bang with hammer ... problem solved.unless its the bendix then its the starter ... the bendix is the little deal that shoots the starter gear up/out to make contact with the flywheel.

its crazy simple to rebuild ..starters are very easy and most of the time they can be taken apart and cleaned and they work again.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2009
  6. calogan

calogan New Member

State:
    Iowa
    The battery hasn't been charged for t awhile, I give that a try. Thanks guys!

7. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    It doesn't hurt to lube those worm gears that the bendix travels on. WD - 40 won't lube them it takes something with some oil in it. I always clean them and then add a squirt of PB blaster on it. A low battery sometimes won't spin a starter up fast enough to let the bendix come out.