Started diggin' in the dirt today!!

Discussion in 'Garden Tips And Talk' started by ladyfish50, Feb 9, 2008.

1. ladyfish50

ladyfish50 New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Here in Northwest Louisiana today it was warm, about 70degrees!, sunny with a mild wind. Sooo......I got out & started working on the flower bed. I expanded it last year, & plan to add more this year. I can't believe there can be that much stuff from one year to the next that needs cleaning out! I pulled weeds, MINT, dead leaves off plants, trimmed plants, raked out leaves, transplanted a rose bush, & ended up with a big black trash can full of stuff for the burn pile! Boy is my ole back tired! The dirt was just perfect to work in; the ground under the grass was still damp, but the dirt in the flower bed just crumbled apart....PERFECT!
    Can you tell this is my favorite time of year??(Well....next to hunting season!:wink:)

2. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    Last Monday it was unseasonably warm here. After work I tilled my garden, cleaned out the boat and put a charge on my batteries. Well the snow Wens. proved i was to early. Must be this false sense of security i got:smile2:. Oh well winter never last forever.

3. oh no

oh no New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Well I'm glad someone can work in their garden. Man it's cold up here, right at 0. I walked by my garden/field yesterday. It has at least 3-4" of ice on it. We had lots of snow, then it melted but the ground is still froze. So I have an ice skating rink where my garden would be. We have an early garden up on our sand hill, and the ground is froze their as well. Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

:eek:oooh::angry::eek:oooh::tounge_out:

4. ladyfish50

ladyfish50 New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Worked in the yard again all day yesterday; was about 75 degrees & sunny. Glorious!! Dug up & moved some irises, daffodills & a few other spring bulbs. Divided some daylillies & put them in new spots. In between, just sat on the porch drinking iced tea & petting the kitty cat. But...it's supposed to start raining tonight & tomorrow's high will be about 57; and that's in the a.m. The temp will start dropping again & be about freezing by tomorrow night. Louisiana weather!! It sure keeps ya guessing.:wink:

5. ladyfish50

ladyfish50 New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    I had ordered some daylily bulbs off ebay; got them in, & since right now my yard is too wet to plant, I put them in some pots. Hopefully soon, I'll be able to expand the flowerbed, get it fertilized, & get them put out. We had alot of rain last Saturday, & it's been sunny & windy since then. But, they're predicting more rain again in a day or two.

6. oh no

oh no New Member

State:
    Indiana
    It was 7 degrees this morning. Right now its 13, boy it won't be long. LOL

7. ladyfish50

ladyfish50 New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Whew! Man, Jim, it sure is warmin' up there!!! Better break out your shorts & sandals!!:smile2:

8. ladyfish50

ladyfish50 New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Well, the dirt & the temperature have finally gotten just about right. Started digging out more grass to enlarge the flower bed....and now the rain has come! A light rain yesterday; not bad, so I was able to work some yesterday afternoon. But today....it has rained all day.:sad2:Just now stopping & everything is pretty well soaked. Oh well.....start over next week! I still haven't gotten my tomato plants in the ground. We just decided yesterday where we were gonna plant them this year, & yep.....it needs working up, too.
    Oh yeah!! My Bluebird box has 3 eggs in it as of yesterday!!! I wasn't even sure if they were coming back or not, but they are!:big_smile:

9. ladyfish50

ladyfish50 New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Well....2wks later & I finally bought my tomato & pepper plants today. I'm experimenting with some new types. I bought my standard Better Boy, then bought a Beefmaster, a Celebrity, & a JS2000(whatever that is!). Also bought a Jalapeno, green bell pepper, yellow bell pepper & banana pepper. Gonna get up in the morning & get them in the ground! Also, I bought a Stella d'Oro daylily. As many as I have, I didn't have that one. And 3 pots of zinnias; they're the most healthy looking ones I've seen in awhile; and there are some that are the darkest, deepest red color.
    Bluebird update: I now have 5 babies!!!
    To all my fellow gardeners.....Happy Planting!!

10. oh no

oh no New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Well I got Potatoes and onions and parsnips in about 2 weeks ago. That is in my early garden on a sand hill. My field has water standing in it. Daffodils are blooming good and it's almost 60 degrees. Slightly misting rain, so I'm in the house being lazy.

If you can get some Rutgers tomato's, you will be happy.

11. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    got mine tilled up this week and fertilized with 32-3 wagon loads of rabbit poo.

12. oh no

oh no New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I tilled the whole early garden with that Ebay tiller and it has tons of composted sawdust and horse manure. I get 1-2 spreader loads a day. Too wet to spread the back fields, so it gets stuck in piles.

It will dry up eventually. lol I have been spreading that composted stuff on the wifes flowers this spring. Getting it about 3" deep around them. Maybe she won't have to weed as much.

Picture 1 Smallest 1 of 4 manure piles. LOL
    Picture 2 Field of water
    Picture 3 One heck of a nice tiller

13. ladyfish50

ladyfish50 New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Jim, those are good pictures. And you're right; that's one nice tiller!!:wink:

14. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    yeah nice tiller oh no!

i talked the wife into planting some onion bulbs and some radish seeds. mite be a bit early but i had the jones and she couldnt stand me anymore. lol

15. ladyfish50

ladyfish50 New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Well, worked all day again in the yard. Moved a grapevine to a new spot; wasn't doing well where I had it. Got everything weeded around husband's blackberry vines & got them all fertilized. Then set out some new plants in the front flower bed. The daylilies are really coming on; I've got several that are budding out; won't be long now!! I made a couple of pictures today. One is a new zinnia; I think it is the reddest I've ever seen. The other is a perennial salvia that I planted last year; it has really gotten big this year! Man, I just love watching everything wake up & start growing!

Attached Files:

16. oh no

oh no New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Wow is all I can say. That Zinnia is nice, I got some flower seeds at Tractor Supply to put out this year. I hope my Zinnia's look as nice.

We are still in the Daffodil blooming deal up here. Lilacs are just starting to leaf out. It's a warm 39 degrees right now. LOL

17. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    nice flowers there! my lilac bush is going to be loaded. the red bud trees are very full also. it seams like everything around here is growing like gang busters!

18. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    I also bought some plants yesterday. I went with celebritie tomatoes also. I grew some last year i really liked. Also, do ya'll ever put epsom salt round your mater plants? It helps prevent blossum end rot.

19. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    aarrrhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!1 gonna have to cover my peppers tomorrow. 33 low. man i hope this is it.:angry: blasted. im glad i did not put my jolokias in.:confused2:

20. ladyfish50

ladyfish50 New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Well, Jeremy, we didn't get that cold, but it did get down to 46 last night; that's unusual for us for this time of year. Today was clear & cool; great spring day......and I couldn't hardly stand to be outside! My allergies are kickin' my a&&! Don't know what exactly is blooming, but something's sure giving me fits! Oh well, I know it won't last long.
    And yes, I did try epsom salt last year, but my tomatoes didn't do worth a darn; I think my soil in that patch has some sort of disease. NOthing grows good there. So I tried them in a new spot this year. I will use the epsom salt again & see how they do. I did put some salt out in my flower bed around the rose bush; we'll see how it does.
    Happy diggin'!!!