Started a new job

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by ka_c4_boom, Nov 11, 2006.

1. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky
    11/10 i started a new job and new to me trade . iv been a painter for the last 8 years and round here paint work is hard to find right now so i took a job for another contractor as a laborer in a framing out fit . man guys an gals i tell yall what iv layed brick packed hod , roofed , painted , and ran a sawmill but this is the hardest job iv ever done . today i was on the job at 7:30 started off the day stacking ply wood around the house 4x8 sheets i carried them and stacked them in several locations around the perimeter 85 sheets in all then i carried in 50 2x4x10 and 25 2x6x12 then i restacked 80 2x6x10 on a set of saw horses after they were cut i carried them in the house then i nailed in 12 joist braces and cleaned up the lot and the inside of house . i am one tired dog , i fought the nail pouch all day it wouldnt stay up i started out in the 1rst set of holes and by the end of the day i was in the 3rd set , i have sun burn and my eyes are sore and body hurts in places i didnt know i had . i was back home at 6pm and wore out il be back on the job at 7:30 monday

2. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

Congrats on the new job. I bet that is the best pain you have had since being laid off.

3. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Well good luck resting up over the weekend, I started a new job myself last mon and yesterday i healped set a septic system and as an operator whos 45 years old the boss is 21 and a hell of a backhoe operator but i got stuck doing laborer work in sandhill country i was about dead when quitting time rolled around which was at 7;00 last night but he let me off today at 3;00 because of my wedding aniversery and by the way my son and this guy graduated high school togather !!

4. TDawgNOk

TDawgNOk Gathering Monitor (Instigator)

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    Chuck, congrats on the new job. You know as well as I do that the more you do it, the more your muscles will become adjusted to it. I am very proud and happy for you. I know that this job will help you and your family in more ways than just financially. This is truely a blessing and I look forward to hearing more about it.

Richard,

Contrats on your new job as well. It is always difficult to go to work for someone who is younger than you. I've been the younger guy, and the older guy. I'm only 30 but I understand how it can make you feel. Just remember that the Good Lord has you in this position for a reason. I know with your live experiances you will excell at anything you do.

5. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    Glad your workin Charles. Hope it lasts for ya.

6. Darrell

Darrell New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I roofed and framed when I was a kid. Well....I helped the big boys and was a runner. It worked me over back then and I dont even want to think what I would feel doing it now. You are one tough dude!!

Good luck...sounds like things are coming together for you.

MAJ D

7. IrishO'Brady

IrishO'Brady New Member

State:
    Ga
    wheew I can relate brother. Everybody always says roofing's the worst but I was in the construction trade years back, and framing was a tough cookie.Get your foot in a few doors and you may not be the dude restacking wood anymore :big_smile: .

PS- A good toolbelt w/nailpouch, that fits good is a worthwhile investment. I had a few cheap ones sag and rub me raw. This is really super crappy.

Good luck!

8. cattinfever999

cattinfever999 New Member

State:
    KY
    Congrats, Chuck. I know you're so tired and sore, but I'm really proud of you. Like Irish said...get your foot in the door.

We're here if you need us.

9. MattShannon

MattShannon New Member

State:
    WV
    Props to ya Chuck. At least your not one of those bums that could work, but doesn't. My hat's off to ya and anyone else that works for a livin. No disrespect to the disabled or otherwise unfortunate people that want to work, but can't. Think of it this way Chuck, you get paid to workout, which should add years in the long run if you stay in shape. It'll kill ya for a month or so, then you'll be a horse. Suggestion: take a picture of yourself now and then again in about 3 months, compare the results.

10. Ol Man

Ol Man New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Other than the pay, that home husband job wasn't all that bad, huh...:lol:
    ~~~~~~~~~~
    Build a vast arena, then put a half-vast team therein.

11. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    Hang in there Buddy,seems like any new job you start is always rough.But it will get easier the more you do it. From your avaitor pic it looks like your in pretty good shape,so you should be able to tone those muscles up pretty quick ,then it will be a breese. Any way Congrads on the new job.Personally I hate those tool belts.Like you ,I just can't seem to keep them up and by the end of the day they sure do get heavy.Hang in there you'll do fine.

12. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    Congrats on the new job buddy, little work wont hurt ya. (It would me though, lol) Good luck hoss.

13. Dave L

Dave L New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    Congrats on the new job. Like others have said hang in there and show them you can handle any thing they throw at ya. Pay attention, learn as you go and soon you will be telling the new guy where to stack the wood.
    I would suggest a high quality tool belt with suspenders that way you can keep it loose and all the weight won't be on your hips. I know a guy who had to have both hips replaced due to his tool belt cutting off blood to his hips. Hang in there bro and some day you will be framing a new house for yourself.

14. Hope

Hope New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    You can do it, Chuck! Congratulations on your job :smile2: and you might want to consider soakin in some hot water with epsom salts. That's a cheap remedy for sore muscles. Suspenders sound like a great fix for the nail pouch problem, too.
    Best wishes to ya and to Richard, too! Takes alot of guts to launch into something new, but well worth the effort.

15. jdstraka

jdstraka Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Council Bluffs, Iowa
    Name:
    John
    Well Chuck My Old body hurts just reading your post.I Coulden't even imagine doing something like that at my age ,to many years lugging that beef I guess. I'm Proud of You Sir. J.D.
    :beat_plaster:

16. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    Chuck, look at it this way:
    You'll be in top shape for hauling in the bigguns...W

17. superman

superman New Member

State:
    DeSoto MO
    congrats charles

18. bootshowl

bootshowl New Member

State:
    Indiana, J
    Chuck I'm like John, got sore just reading yer post. Hang tough brother. Least ya got youth on yer side.....they'd had to call an AMBALANCE for me.
    :big_smile:

19. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky
    yeah i was the oldest on the job :lol:

thanks :lol: iv got plenty of pics of myself and big fish granted there all under my brothers pics in member photos vlparrish
    i feel like a beaten down mule currently :lol:

yeah my 1rst check iv got to get a good tool belt , yeah wish i could afford to build a house :lol: another 40 years i should know all i need

thanks every one for the inspirration , i will make it :lol: soon as my bruises heel , im sore every where i feel like iv been beat be glad when monday comes so i can work off this soreness :lol:

20. TDawgNOk

TDawgNOk Gathering Monitor (Instigator)

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    That's the spirit Chuck!!!!!

GO GET'ER DONE!!!!!!!